This Is Not A Tour - new Audax events in memory of Mike Hall

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Wilkyboy

Re: This Is Not A Tour - new Audax events in memory of Mike

Post by Wilkyboy »

JustinF wrote:Re Garmin crash, common problem, turn off at 200k, turn on again, hit start, will continue the recording as one but not hit the memory hole.
That's an interesting data point, different to the usual "stop + save + new recording". I'll have to give it a go — I usually switch the devices off if I'm stopped for long, so perhaps that's helping with the over-distance and so I've managed to inadvertently avoid the issue?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Thanks for the Garmin tips. I'd thought of wiping all the data so it had more memory to work with, will do this as suggested also. Oddly it's been OK generally on 300km is before but that's on tracks I've created. I rarely save routes to upload anyway so no loss in stopping recording at any point, only interested in tracking / routing. Ride recording is for an speed as I go rather than strava etc.
Might break the tinat route into 3 also, just to be on safe side.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Keep the route on both the SD card and the internal memory, so if the Garmin does crash, there is a copy of the route on the sd card also. And if the card screws up, there's a copy on the internal memory.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

+1 for Edge 800 fail at about 200 miles. Will probably use an Etrex for TINAT; saves worrying about recharging on the fly.
jameso

Post by jameso »

turn off at 200k, turn on again, hit start, will continue the recording as one but not hit the memory hole.
Actually, thinking about it this makes sense / answers it - I recently changed the settings to not auto-pause or shut down when not in use, so I could measure av speed inc all stops over 15-24hr rides. Before that it would turn off during a stop then re-start w/o losing the data up to then.

Back on topic perhaps - currently looking at the kit on my bike and for the ride and wondering what I actually need or how little food etc I might be able to get away with carrying, the amount of climbing is playing on my mind. Over half a TNRs worth of short sharp stuff in 42hrs. F---. :lol:
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Basing my fast 400 ride around the takeaway(s) in Dolgellau and 24 hour McDonalds in Newtown.

Will have just the bivvy bag with me in case I need a couple of hours sleep before dawn but TBH being more rouleur than climber I'm expecting to need most of the time limit...most climbing I've done in 400km previously was about 6km, and that was not a fast ride. :lol:
j.c.gillies

Post by j.c.gillies »

***UPDATE***
There are some more details regarding the Sunday afternoon and evening social plans over on the TINAT website. Note that TINAT riders will not be charged for food and drink. However, spectators will be charged £10 to cover costs. Any profits will be going to charity.http://tinat.cymru/the-social/

Also note that we are working on finalising the route details. We plan to post route sheets and GPS files on the Audax UK website http://www.aukweb.net/events/ and the TINAT website two weeks ahead of the event. This timing is quite standard practice for audax. We feel that two weeks is rather generous. Mike only gave an evenings notice on his valley cats. :-bd
"After hardship comes ease" -Real name James
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

James - I have entered the 100km ride on the Saturday but will be around all weekend. Does this give me entry to the social for food etc.? It is the only distance not mentioned! Or do I pay as a spectators on the Sunday?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I'm in the 400Km and am having serious thoughts about riding it on my rigid 29er simply because I like riding it so much.

Anyone else feeling silly or will it be just me at the back.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't worry Dave, you'll not look stupid because I'll have downtube shifters, Moose bars and 26" wheels :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Don'r worry Dave, you'll not look stupid because I'll have downtube shifters, Moose bars and 26" wheels :-bd
I need a picture for reassurance
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Dave Barter wrote:I'm in the 400Km and am having serious thoughts about riding it on my rigid 29er simply because I like riding it so much.

Fast or slow 400? If it's the fast one, there's just too much road to make finishing in time with that choice of bike anything other than a swear-fest, no?
chris n

Post by chris n »

Same amount of road on the slow 400, so either way it'll be worth it for the rest of us. :wink:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Dyffers wrote:
Dave Barter wrote:I'm in the 400Km and am having serious thoughts about riding it on my rigid 29er simply because I like riding it so much.

Fast or slow 400? If it's the fast one, there's just too much road to make finishing in time with that choice of bike anything other than a swear-fest, no?
That is the problem as it is the fast which requires 9mph. I rode a 100 miler this weekend at 13.3mph on the same bike so it would be tight but wouldn't Mike want me to take on the harder challenge?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I need a picture for reassurance
Here you go Dave. Oh and if anyone does see it parked up anywhere, feel free to stop and put a bag over it.

burty

Post by burty »

I think it will look like the wackey races down there ,
still better than mine , as I haven't got one for it yet
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I like it Stu. I think I'm resolved to give it a go. Maybe get some thin high rolling tyres for my bike to replace the Race Kings. How about Conti Speed Kings?
jameso

Post by jameso »

That Surly looks proper. Good work.
j.c.gillies

Post by j.c.gillies »

Blackhound wrote:James - I have entered the 100km ride on the Saturday but will be around all weekend. Does this give me entry to the social for food etc.? It is the only distance not mentioned! Or do I pay as a spectators on the Sunday?
All riders get food and drink irrespective of the distance entered. Just an oversight on my behalf not to specifically mention the 100km distance.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Thanks James, didn't think it was personal ;-)

Expecting a tough ride and getting full value for my entry fee. Hope to have a cafe stop but do not expect a lot of spare time. I have been ill since WRT and not ridden. I will be swapping my 2.1 tyres for some 35mm tyres on my steel mtb for the day. Think I will take sufficient food for circuit and if time allows for a cuppa will gratefully take it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How about Conti Speed Kings?
I've found these fast yet surprisingly grippy - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYSCGS1RGF ... lding-tyre
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I've found these fast yet surprisingly grippy - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYSCGS1RGF ... lding-tyre

Thing is I did a ride on the CX bike today and changed my mind again. How does one stop being fickle?
j.c.gillies

Post by j.c.gillies »

Dave Barter wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:

Thing is I did a ride on the CX bike today and changed my mind again. How does one stop being fickle?
By only having one bike and no money.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

My teenage kids are helping me achieve just that
techno

Post by techno »

Train tickets booked, Getting to llandrindod on Friday Afty :-bd
Actually nervous already, this'll be by far the toughest thing I've done on my bike. See you all there.