This Is Not A Tour - new Audax events in memory of Mike Hall

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

techno

Re: This Is Not A Tour - new Audax events in memory of Mike

Post by techno »

Actually, are there any other Boners around on Friday for a jar and sociable bivvy?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I shall probably be riding down on Friday so should be around ... somewhere.
May the bridges you burn light your way
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I shall probably be riding down on Friday so should be around ... somewhere.
ooh, mysterious! :lol:
will keep an eye open for you stu.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not mysterious - simply not very good with plans and getting somewhere in a pre-arranged manner :wink:
jameso

Post by jameso »

techno mail wrote:Actually, are there any other Boners around on Friday for a jar and sociable bivvy?
I'm around Fri eve, booked a campsite nearby though - being soft before not being so soft I hope, got to start at 5am Sat! so bit of kip on Fri might help.
j.c.gillies

Post by j.c.gillies »

I'm doing a recce of the 600km route this weekend to get a little insight to what you guys will be going through in a couple of weeks time. Also didn't think it right to have put together a route for others to ride without having a go at it myself. I might fail. We shall see.
"After hardship comes ease" -Real name James
JustinF

Post by JustinF »

What with Routes arriving and stuff, the impotant matters are now at hand.
What's the best pub in Llandridd Wells?
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you ever tried.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

JustinF wrote:What with Routes arriving and stuff, the impotant matters are now at hand.
Has everybody got their info emails then?
I've not got anything.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Uhm, just had a look at the route. Too much busy main road for a non-roadie such as myself, so it looks like I'll be setting off from Llandindrod on a somewhat different route :wink:

Actually, seeing as it just about passes our house, I might as well set off from't Towers.
JustinF

Post by JustinF »

Taylor wrote:
JustinF wrote:What with Routes arriving and stuff, the impotant matters are now at hand.
Has everybody got their info emails then?
I've not got anything.
got my slow 300 mail this afternoon, 400km people got them this morning
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Uhm, just had a look at the route. Too much busy main road for a non-roadie such as myself, so it looks like I'll be setting off from Llandindrod on a somewhat different route :wink:

Actually, seeing as it just about passes our house, I might as well set off from't Towers.
Which route were you doing?
I'm in the 300 which looks to be on fairly quiet roads, although as I know zero about the area I may be wrong!
Could send the gpx to you if it's of interest?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm on the 300 ... generally, the locals only do 30 while on their way to 70 and visitors are often too busy gorping at the scenery or avoiding the locals to pay much attention :wink:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Uhm, just had a look at the route. Too much busy main road for a non-roadie such as myself, so it looks like I'll be setting off from Llandindrod on a somewhat different route :wink:

I thought the same. My 400 route is getting modified to take out the big road bits. Not sure why it goes out avoiding the NCN?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I'm on the 300 ... generally, the locals only do 30 while on their way to 70 and visitors are often too busy gorping at the scenery or avoiding the locals to pay much attention :wink:
Hmmmm.... Bearbones splinter group?
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

400km route looks brutally hilly, although I shouldn't be surprised. Might not bother with the aero bars - not much flat to get any benefit from them...
techno

Post by techno »

looks like thew worst bit for busy roads is the last 100k (Dolgelau back to Llandrindod) it's primarily on the A470 & A483.
looking to re-route through Dyfi forest and then who knows where. will post a link once it's done
chris n

Post by chris n »

Dave Barter wrote:

I thought the same. My 400 route is getting modified to take out the big road bits. Not sure why it goes out avoiding the NCN?
Because there could be as many as 200 riders setting off on the two 400 rides - too many for that little lane, and at 6 am (or any time of day, for that matter) you just don't need to stay off the main road.
chris n

Post by chris n »

techno mail wrote:looks like thew worst bit for busy roads is the last 100k (Dolgelau back to Llandrindod) it's primarily on the A470 & A483.
looking to re-route through Dyfi forest and then who knows where. will post a link once it's done
That bit's mostly fine (though I'm sure Stu will disagree :wink: ). The A470 through Carno is a bit quick and the climb out of Newtown can get busy during the day (but is easily avoided if you take the minor lanes to Dolifor). Everything else is lovely. :-bd
j.c.gillies

Post by j.c.gillies »

There are a few more main road sections than I'd have liked but sometimes working within audax regulations doesn't help with avoiding the big roads. But please feel free to take which ever route you wish between controls. On another note, having just ridden the 600km route, I was quite happy to have some flat fast tarmac for an opportunity to get a move on. The pub doesn't stay open all night! I've put some more words on the TINAT website about the 600km route. http://tinat.cymru/news/
"After hardship comes ease" -Real name James
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I am down for the Saturday 110km so not looked in detail at the longer routes but remember roads that may be busy during the day could be quiet if you hit them during the night.
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

techno mail wrote:looks like thew worst bit for busy roads is the last 100k (Dolgelau back to Llandrindod) it's primarily on the A470 & A483.
I'll be keen to see that. I've just been looking at the route, and the A road from Newtown back to Llandrindod is not my idea of fun on a bike (a car, maybe).
techno

Post by techno »

Pete-G wrote:
I'll be keen to see that. I've just been looking at the route, and the A road from Newtown back to Llandrindod is not my idea of fun on a bike (a car, maybe).
here it is: https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/rou ... nat-point3 only different after Dolgellau and needs a re-route to hit the info control at Dolfor.

oh, it adds 18 km to distance + 5oom of climbing
techno

Post by techno »

techno mail wrote:
Pete-G wrote:
here it is: https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/rou ... nat-point3 only different after Dolgellau and needs a re-route to hit the info control at Dolfor.

oh, it adds 18 km to distance + 5oom of climbing
here's the edited version heading back onto the original route to pass through Dolgellau thereby hitting the info control:
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/rou ... at-point-4
chris n

Post by chris n »

Not going to be able to ride now - but looks like I'll be helping out at the checkpoint in the Elan Valley - so I'll see some of you on the Saturday. :-bd
JustinF

Post by JustinF »

What tyres are people using? I'm going no ideal Kenda 40mm Flintridge Pro, because it's what i have over 25mm. totally not a tarmac ideal tyre but nm eh?