Swept bars

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Re: Swept bars

Post by Ray Young »

I have the carbon OG and really like it, got it off eBay. I've tried the Mary in the past and found it too narrow with too much backsweep, the end would dig into your leg on slow tight stuff.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Another OG bar user here - I had them on for the Cairngorms loop Bob - you could have had a go! I don't think I'd want any more sweep than they have, so don't think I'd go to the extremes of Jones bars personally.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

I'm a big fan of the ragley Carnegie bars.. which are a wider mary with less rise

Have recently moved to 680: loops on one bike and I'm not sure I like them on it over the Carnegie's.

The Carnegie's are now on my singlespeed where they are still being vaguely exciting.

Got a set of original titec h bars on my shopping bike that feel so odd -the narrowness is not complimented by the sweep.

Had Mary's on the commuter in the past and while they were ok for sitting me up right I didn't really get on with them. Too much rise
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I've got Jones bars on my Jones. I owned the bars before the bike and didn't get on with them, they make perfect sense on the Jones though. The higher front and shorter top tube makes them perfect.

I've got Answer 20/20's on my Stumpy. Sadly no longer available or I'd be buying a second set.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The Ragley Carnegie is no longer available as far as I can tell but the On-One OG appears to be the same bar.

If you turn the Mary bar "upside down" then you get a better hand position :wink:

Cath's got a set of Moto bars on her Stooge - at 800mm wide they are huge even for me. I've had a very quick ride around on the bike but haven't come to any conclusion about them.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Blatant plug but I do have a very nice set of answer protaper 20/20 carbon bars in my sale thread, swapped from jones bars and the extra flex from the carbon was very comfortable.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Holy thread resurrection!

Having seen this http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/list-of ... andlebars/ I thought an update/conclusion was in order.

I've ended up taking the Jones Loops off the fat bike this week and fitting a set of On-One Mary bars to that - not as wide but I think they'll do. Getting the bars off involved removing the ESI Chunky grips as the Avid brake levers don't use a two part clamp :| but that wasn't as hard a job as I'd feared. I'll grab a few stem spacers (and a stem) now and figure out the best height for the bars before cutting the steerer. The only bits I'm missing for the build are the brakes which will be ordered in a short while.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I put mine at saddle height. Moves weight (and c of g?) back over the rear shock.
Everything about that set up is 'wrong' but its brilliant. :-bd
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

If you can find a pair answer pro-taper 20/20 bars are great carbon light and extremely comfortable
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark