Track Bike Road Rider Kills Pedestrian

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Track Bike Road Rider Kills Pedestrian

Post by Ray Young »

Not bikepacking related I know but these riders really get my goat.
A guy on a track bike with fixed wheel and no brakes riding in London hit a pedestrian at twenty miles an hour, she died a week later of her injuries. Apparently he believes it was her fault because when he shouted at her to move she just froze. I see these people on a regular basis in Edinburgh, I effin hate them!
Sorry, rant over.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Track Bike Road Rider Kills Pedestrian

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is it not illegal to ride a bike on the road which isn't fitted with a working brake?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

And sadly society and news media does not bat an eye with the large amount of deliberate punishment assaults and also the deaths of cyclists caused by motorists.

Look at the comments sections on online papers when a cyclist has been killed. It always seems the cyclists have done something themselves to get killed by a motorist who hit them.

The close passes I get and the verbal abuse for just riding on the road, I feel is increasing.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Is it not illegal to ride a bike on the road which isn't fitted with a working brake?
I believe you are required to have two effective brakes. Fixed gear counts as one meaning a second brake is also required. Along with pedal reflectors...
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Is it not illegal to ride a bike on the road which isn't fitted with a working brake?
It had a working braking system (rear fixed wheel) - but it also needs another, a front brake.

Rules are front and rear braking systems - which also implicates many BMX and dirt jumpers. Even before we start looking at the brakeless riders.

FWIW, long term fixie rider (15+ year) and ex-track racer: I personally would not ride fixed on the road without a secondary brake, even if it is mostly there as a spare.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Yes. You have to have two brakes fitted (and working) but a fixed rear wheel may be used instead of a brake, you still need a front brake.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

psling wrote: Along with pedal reflectors...

Only between sunset and sunrise. Same as lights, and a rear red reflector.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Adventurer wrote:And sadly society and news media does not bat an eye with the large amount of deliberate punishment assaults and also the deaths of cyclists caused by motorists.

Look at the comments sections on online papers when a cyclist has been killed. It always seems the cyclists have done something themselves to get killed by a motorist who hit them.

The close passes I get and the verbal abuse for just riding on the road, I feel is increasing.
I agree totally, I hate city riding. Just about every time your out a close one happens wether it's a close pass, following too close, pulling out in front of you to name but a few.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I think this one is tricky as the reporting is currently focusing upon the case for the prosecution. Reading some reports suggests she was crossing the road and on her phone at the time. Whilst I am not defending the cocknobbery of riding a fixie with no brake we do not know that he would have not been able to avoid her brakes or not. And if the collision were unavoidable without her moving it would make sense to shout. Let me tell you now that it is rare for a pedestrian to look both ways if they cannot hear cars. I give them a wider berth than vehicles.

The press will love all of the negatives around cycling here, no brakes, lycra lout etc... there is a very powerful anti-cycling lobby in the press at the moment. Lots of large vested interest from those wanting to sustain and grow motorised transport who see cycle infrastructure as a threat.

Also you do realise that he is being charged with manslaughter and the vast majority of drivers who kill cyclists through negligence are not. What message does this send?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

we have driving tests ....
so obviusly we need madatory cycling tsts :P ....
so Obviously we need some kind of proficiency test for pedestrians that you have to pass to be allowed to use pavements
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Also you do realise that he is being charged with manslaughter
Surely the CPS feel that there's a case to answer then? However, you are right and it doesn't send a good signal especially as most drivers are only ever charged with due care or DDTR.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Also you do realise that he is being charged with manslaughter
Surely the CPS feel that there's a case to answer then? However, you are right and it doesn't send a good signal especially as most drivers are only ever charged with due care or DDTR.
Yes I'm not saying he shouldn't be charged with it. The definition is " where death results from an unlawful act or from gross negligence"

Using a mobile phone when driving is unlawful, as is driving with undue care and attention. Turning round to berate your children in the back at 50mph is gross negligence. All of these have escaped the manslaughter charge this year alone.

Again I am no excusing him. I just want justice for all (cue Metallica).
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

More detail from today including crash investigation...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ay-wounded

Certainly not doing himself any favours with comments like this; if The Sun quotes are to be believed! Came up on a google search!

Alliston also wrote as Mrs Briggs lay in hospital: “I refuse to accept any responsibility in this whatsoever… It’s not my fault people think they are invincible or just have zero respect for cyclists.

“What makes it worse is that, even when people were helping her, her phone was going off continuously with texts showing she was on it at the time.

“If you value your phone more than your life maybe this is the type of wake up call you need.”
psling

Post by psling »

As I see it there are driving offences such as "causing death by dangerous driving" and "causing death by careless driving but there is no equivalent for cycling which is possibly why the charge in this instance is manslaughter and why it is rarely, if ever, applied to drivers of motor vehicles.

Current reporting of the case for the prosecution and current journalistic comment is focusing a lot on what he may have said on social media both before and after the incident. I would suggest that what he may or may not have said is not actually relevant to the cause of the incident nor indeed the incident itself. It's white noise but aren't the press making a whole issue out of it! The facts of the case may take some finding amongst all the white noise and hopefully the magistrates will deal with the case within the boundaries of the law (not sure if it's hear by jury, in which case he's probably fubarred!).
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Yeh, be interesting to see the defense, but I think they'll struggle to get past the fact that he was on that bike with no front brake regardless of whether she wasn't paying attention. Unfortunate incident and outcome for all concerned :cry:

I see in other news on cycling weekly a guy arrested for hit and run and a 13year old kid ( didn't die but h&r and severe injuries). Be interesting to see the outcome of that. Been a couple of nasty ones here including a h&r which have seen very little action from local police .
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

He looks like a wrong 'un tbf. Ear tunnels :lol: :lol: :lol:

Based on that alone my mind is made up.

Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

the parallels with a car would be hitting someone with a car that wasn't road worthy with no MOT, so it really is his fault for having a bike that doesn't meet the rules required. if he had a bike with a front brake even if this had happen it would have been the pedestrians fault similar to if a pedestrian wandered out in front of a buss without looking.... so i dont really have any sympathy for him ... but ye look before you cross the road guys hipsteres are everywhere
psling

Post by psling »

Again, it should very much depend on the facts of the case. If a pedestrian was already crossing the highway before a car/van/lorry/bicycle is in sight then the pedestrian has right of way and the other user should give way to them.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Construction and use regs for bicycles 1983 specifically state that a fixed wheel bike also has to have a front brake.
Just a word - the press rarely report fatal road crashes with any degree of unbiased-ness or even accuracy. I'd advise not debating such an incident on a forum as we'll never know the facts.