Tarp tent advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Tarp tent advice

Post by lune ranger »

Trying to decide on a tarp tent for year round UK use.
I've had a TNF Mt Marathon tent forever it's 1.5kg, I'd like to be sub 1kg this time.
Don't want to tarp only or use a hooped bivi. I Ike a bit more shelter in the rain.
On my radar are RAB/Integral Element Solo, DD Superlight Tarp Tent or Six Moon Deschutes.
Anyone got any experience of these or something else to suggest.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Re: Tarp tent advice

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lunar Solo? There's more than one happy owner on here already.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Did someone say Luna solo?

https://flic.kr/p/SspMiB

You can sometimes get a little condensation on the inside, like any single skin tent.

All you need to do is wipe down the inside in the morning. I just use a sponge type cloth that you can buy for washing up.

Wipe, ring out and repeat. Use on the outside as well to get off majority of rain if needed prior to packing tent.

You can get two versions, the green one I have or the silver LE one which is slightly heavier due to the thicker floor.

You can buy direct from six moon designs which I did, or you might be able to buy from ultralight outdoor gear UK if they have any in stock.

Six moon will seam seal the tent for you for an extra charge or you can do it yourself which is not a hard job.

You will also need a pole to go with it. You can buy from six moon but I bought one of the Carbon bearbones poles which has been great.
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Depending on budget the hexamid from Zpacks is worth a look.

Mine is 535g.

That includes an optional beak (making it very weather proof) a pole, full midge proof netting system and a set of proper pegs.

Mine was a second hand bargain, in realative terms.
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

The Z Packs stuff is calling to me.... the cost is crazy high especially when factoring in the import duty and handling.

That said, they certainly look the best lightweight option out there.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

I've just recently bought the Lunar Solo SE (from ultralightgear.co.uk, missed the first batch as both solos sold out pretty fast).

Not tried it in anger but I've cast a covetous eye over ScotRoutes green one on more than one occasion.

Hoping to test it out this Friday night... :grin:
Give the dirt a little room.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

On my radar are RAB/Integral Element Solo, DD Superlight Tarp Tent or Six Moon Deschutes.
Uhm, Element and Deschutes are both tarps until you buy / add an inner. DD will be heavy when compared to a lot of other stuff out there.

Lunar Solo is a true tarp-tent as it is a stand-a-lone, bug proof, floored shelter. The 'standard' version weighs 650g, add pole and pegs and you should be in the region of 780g ready to go. I've never bothered to seam-seal any SMD stuff and never had a leak.

In stock at ULOG ...
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... tent-p4529

WARNING: The SMD poles are very flexy. I'm not saying don't buy one, simply be aware that doing so may mean you ultimately end up buying two poles :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

Happy Lunar solo user here
I have the green one bought from Ultralightoutdoorgear a couple of years ago
I didn't seal it from new and it's was fine for about 30 nights over a couple of years until my last trip when it started to leak on the stitching near the beak.
So i seam sealed it ( 50/50 clear silicone / white spirit mixed very well applied to an pitched tent on a warm day with a small 1/4" paintbrush, took an hour )
Mine was 677g before sealing 697g after ( add pole 80g , 8 pegs 70g ) so around 850g all in
Stuart is right the 49g pole is useless, bought it, pitched in garden, sold it, way too flexy,
i've got one of his carbon ones in 3 sections and it's been superb. You need the little disc to stop the pole end sinking in soft ground
I use the lunar solo for 3 seasons then in the winter i use the outer from my lightweight tent with a footprint. No mesh so make sure the midges have retired for the year. Slightly heavier at around 1 kg all in but better in windy weather.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Not used in anger yet but I went for the Deschutes with a serenity net inner. More flexible than the lunar solo as I can use it as tarp only with a ground sheet or lightweight bivi bag or as a full tent. Lots of room and weighs 800gs. I'd advise going with the BB pole as its much stiffer than the 6 moons one.
slarge

Post by slarge »

What's the advantage of a single skin tarp tent (seems to be circa 800g with poles) over an ultralight tent (TN laserlite) at 850g with outer and inner etc? Or just use the outer of the Laserlite at 500g?
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

WARNING: The SMD poles are very flexy. I'm not saying don't buy one, simply be aware that doing so may mean you ultimately end up buying two poles :wink:
Hmm, trial pitch and indeed, flexi as a flexi thing. If I buy one will you post it 'free' with my bb tops?
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

As someone who uses both i'll attempt to answer Slarges question
To match the weight of the Lunar Solo with a double skinned tent you need to spend a lot more money e.g Terra Nova Laser Photon 1 @ £450
The lunar solo will be more spacious with good headroom and a huge porch , good for brewing up out of the rain
The lunar solo will be better ventilated and seems to suffer less from condensation than when i have used the fly of my double skinned tent on it's own
When using my normal tents flysheet I always take a groundsheet ( footprint ) as well which adds to the weight and you aren't midge proof
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've yet to have any problems with the pole I got with my Lunar Solo. I ordered it from BPL when I bought the tent, so I think it''s the SMD one but maybe not? Weighs in at 53g and is made by Easton.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I broke Stu's carbon pole. Clipped it with my foot getting out for a midnight piss after a few beers. This was four days before I flew to the States, I'm currently riding round with a walking pole strapped to the front of the bike. I'll order an alloy one when I get back.

With the Lunar Solo it's not always possible to stop condensation and every time my quilt seems to touch it and get wet.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I'm a very happy SMD 'Skyscape Scout' user. It's a sort of half way house between a tent and a tarp tent.

From the website:
The Skyscape employs Hybrid Double Wall construction. Over 80% of the canopy is separated from you by a mesh wall, keeping that wet canopy at bay.
In reality the 20% that is single-skin is directly above you so there is still an issue with condensation on occasion but never found it a problem.

Comes in at just under a kilo so not the lightest but a nice cheap option and plenty roomy enough for the larger gentleman to sit up and move around.
Bearbonesnorm wrote:I've never bothered to seam-seal any SMD stuff and never had a leak.
I used mine before I sealed the seams and got soaked (a fairly intense Alpine thunder storm admittedly). I sealed the seams the next day and no problem since.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I broke Stu's carbon pole. Clipped it with my foot getting out for a midnight piss after a few beers.
Clumsy sod ... pop it in the post when you get back and I'll repair it for you.
If I buy one will you post it 'free' with my bb tops?
Spoken like a true Scot :wink: Aye but you'll not get it until the start of next month.
May the bridges you burn light your way
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Spoken like a true Scot :wink:
It's worse than that, I'm an Aberdonian. It's in the blood.

Every penny a prisoner... :wink:
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Bought... but you might as well hold on to it/them for 10 days before posting....
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

bearpaw lair tarp tent i like this a lot with stus carbon pole
Attachments
DSC04115 (800x533).jpg
DSC04115 (800x533).jpg (318.17 KiB) Viewed 8167 times
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Thanks all. Just pressed the button on a BPD Lair with net liner. 10in cuben bath tub sides on the inner for good measure.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

For future people reading, check out Trekkertent. Made by a chap in Scotland. They are traditional 2 pole design, but I use a 29re wheel for the back pole and a BB carbon pole out front. About 650g with the mesh inner. We have used ours for about a month worth of bikepacking and backpacking. Still good as new.

It does get condensation more than well vented tents, but the inner and outer are very well separated, and detach with 2 clips, so despite hating condensation, it actually doesn't bother me.

It is a tad squishy for 2, but my girlfriend and I don't kill each other after a week of bikepacking with it :)