BB Windshield

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

BB Windshield

Post by Mariner »

Is the BB windshield - not the tapered style - optimised for a certain size of burner/pot?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: BB Windshield

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is the BB windshield - not the tapered style - optimised for a certain size of burner/pot?
Nope, it's universal or 'one size fits nowt'. I do generally ask people if they'd like any alterations making for use with a specific stove / pot, etc.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

So does it fit inside both 650 and 900 pot?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So does it fit inside both 650 and 900 pot?
In 'standard' guise it's 100mm tall as is the height of the Alpkit 650ml pot. If you wanted one to play nicely with a 650ml, I'd shorten it to 95mm.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Couple more questions:
What is the optimum stove for a 650 pot and heatshield? I assume all would work but what would work best? How do you stabilise the burners on uneven ground? The shape of them always looks ungainly with rounded bottom corners unless they are wider than they are taller.
Something I have thought about but never tried is using my original Brukit pot, the one with the heat exchanger on the bottom, with a burner type stove.
Would it just clog up with soot?
I am a sucker for old wives tales :oops: and one I have heard but not tried is cutting Meths with 10% water to eliminate soot?
Surely this would just sit as a globule in the bottom and not emulsify into the Meths? :geek:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What is the optimum stove for a 650 pot and heatshield? I assume all would work but what would work best?
With regard to my stoves, a 22g and a custom tapered shield would be ideal.
How do you stabilise the burners on uneven ground? The shape of them always looks ungainly with rounded bottom corners unless they are wider than they are taller.
They're probably more stable than you think but obviously finding the flatest place to stand them helps :wink:
Something I have thought about but never tried is using my original Brukit pot, the one with the heat exchanger on the bottom, with a burner type stove.
Don't bother. There's no benefit as far as I can tell.
Would it just clog up with soot?
No, soot is a byproduct of a poorly functioning stove - which brings us onto ...
one I have heard but not tried is cutting Meths with 10% water to eliminate soot?
Soot is produced when the ratio of fuel / air is out in favour of fuel. The lack of air means all the available fuel can't fully burn, hence soot. By adding water you're effectively reducing the amount of fuel available for the air present. When everything's working as it should, there'll be no soot, so no need to add water. Water will mix with meths but the heat out-put from the stove will decrease if you do.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just remembered this from the distant past: http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... ter#p11113
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Are the tapered windshields in the shop area?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No, I make them as specials and favours. Probably far easier to sort out anything you want via the medium of email.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Thanks for that. :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
No, I make them as specials and favours. Probably far easier to sort out anything you want via the medium of email.
he means the medium of dance, not email

The tapered windshield helps a lot with the stability of my mug on the 8g stove. I often find it tricky to find somewhere flat enough (flat rocks often act as a heat sink so the stove really struggles)

The only downside to the tapered windshield is you can't see the stove (as the fit is so good for my mug) so it's not always clear if it's on. Not a huge problem though