2017 YD200

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

2017 YD200

Post by dlovett »

This year's YD200 takes place on the 26th August, so just under a month.

Any locals, got any resupply tips for the route as it's radically changed from previous years?

http://riderscyclecentre.com/yorkshired ... ts-200kms/

These are the ones I have.

12.9km Cavendish Pavilion
37.8 km The Royal Oak
40.8km The Sportsman's Arms
61.8km Swinton Trout Farm
71.7km Jervaulx Abbey & Tea Rooms
74.2km The Blue Lion Inn, Pub and Restaurant
91.6km The George Inn
102.5 Halfway Point
106.9km The George Inn
111.2km Highest Point
129.2km Helwith Bridge Inn
138.5km The New Inn Hotel
157.3km The Dog & Partridge
165.4km Long Preston Village Store
171.5km Settle Village
185km The Buck Inn
191km The Angel Inn
Last edited by dlovett on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
whitestone

Re: 2017 YD200

Post by whitestone »

The YD200 uses a different route every year.

Resupply points:

32Km Pateley Bridge - Co-op at garage (on route)
65Km Masham (2km off-route) Shop
72Km Jervaux Abbey tea rooms (1000-1630)
80Km Forbidden Corner cafe (open til 1800)
89Km West Burton Shop (500m off-route) 0900-1600
105Km Cray Pub
138Km Clapham Cafe 1000-????
157Km Tosside Pub (1200-1700)
165Km Long Preston Pub
172m Settle Pubs, Co-op (0700-2200)
183Km Malham Pubs, Cafe (1000 - 1700)

There might be others around Masham, I don't know that area very well.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Cheers for those Bob.

First time for me this year. Is it a rule that you have to carry sleeping kit, a la BB200?

My first instinct on seeing the "CX friendly" description and comparing it to the Dirty Reiver is to pile round it in a one-er. If I'm carrying sleeping kit though the chances are I'll use it and go at a steadier pace.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'm not sure it's a "rule", but taking kit appropriate to your pace and conditions might be sensible. Check with Stuart.

The route's changed slightly from the one I saw previously so Pateley Bridge is now at 38Km. It's mostly road and stoney track with just a couple of bits that can get muddy. If you're on a CX then some big volume tyres would make it much more pleasant.

Cav Pav would be a bit early and the two pubs come just after the Co-op in Pateley Bridge, they're unlikely to be open anyway unless you are very slow.

You'd have to be going fast to make the village store in Long Preston, it's part of the Post Office and shuts at 1700 I think, might be a bit later. Settle is not far away, though there's a hill in the way.

Have your credit card ready if you are going for refreshments at The Angel in Hetton :wink: It's so close to the finish anyway.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm in - think I'll give the Fargo a whirl on this one as its the only one of my machines that hasn't done an ITT plus it will be good practice for next years dirty reiver :mrgreen:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Should see you then Phil. I'll stick with the Solaris :grin:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

dlovett wrote:This year's YD200 takes place on the 16th August, so just under a month.

http://riderscyclecentre.com/yorkshired ... ts-200kms/
I think it is the weekend of 26/27 Aug, so I can stop panicking!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

This weekend!
Can anyone access the start list on the facebook page and post up?
Definitely looking forward to this :-bd
Karl

Post by Karl »

Me and the misses are going but I've already let Stuart know we'll be out for 3 days and to not wait up for us. Will be good to catch up with folk at the start. :-bd
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

I'll be there Friday

If the GF stops sulking because she's found I'm doing it, then she might join me for a ride or walk on Monday :grin: :grin:

Now I need to decide on a gear for the Mukluk. 2km @ 13% average (20.4% max) over Birks Fell will be a walk anyway :shock:

Andy
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Horse Head Moor (which what I think you mean by Birks Fell) is one of the few bits I haven't done. My wife did it years ago and said it was cut up by trails bikes and not particularly nice. I suspect the uphill bit will be a carry, will see on Saturday.

The climb out of Nidderdale above Bouthwaite and that out of Littondale are probably the hardest two climbs otherwise.

Hope that it's a bit cooler and less humid than today.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote:Horse Head Moor (which what I think you mean by Birks Fell) is one of the few bits I haven't done. My wife did it years ago and said it was cut up by trails bikes and not particularly nice. I suspect the uphill bit will be a carry, will see on Saturday.

The climb out of Nidderdale above Bouthwaite and that out of Littondale are probably the hardest two climbs otherwise.

Hope that it's a bit cooler and less humid than today.
Gone down this loads of times - it was a rutted hell by 2005 thanks to the trail bikes which was about when it was closed to motorised vehicles. Since then its improved a lot and the last time I did it a couple of years ago it was a nice descent. Will be a nice push going up!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A warning for those who haven't been on this bit of road http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=37 ... &A=Y&Z=120 but it's not in the best of condition so if it's dusk/dark when you get there take care as there's some serious pot holes. A friend rode over it on Sunday and said it was still bad.
techno

Post by techno »

whitestone wrote:A warning for those who haven't been on this bit of road http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=37 ... &A=Y&Z=120 but it's not in the best of condition so if it's dusk/dark when you get there take care as there's some serious pot holes. A friend rode over it on Sunday and said it was still bad.
Could end up in a sticky situation down there :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ha ha! Just seen what you mean :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

That can't be a real place? Surely that's one of the Ordnance Surveys deliberate errors they use as markers for checking copyright? Or added by an employee who's got a grudge? Imaging writing that on an application form as where you live :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

There are plenty just as bad, and worse...

...though they have a habit of changing to slightly more socially acceptable names of late. :lol:
burty

Post by burty »

well my YD200 started off well , but came to a end after only 15 miles, free hub cracked and bearings ground up to paste ,
stripped it down back at the car as I had my spares bag , but hub pitted from the return journey with all the bits going around ,
bike turned into a fixed wheel for the last 8 mile.
so turned out to be an expensive day , but the sun was out :-bd
but at least it is new wheel day tomorrow, :grin:
ImageIMG_1183 by paul burty, on Flickr
g
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ouch. What was that?
burty

Post by burty »

that was the hope bearings/washer /spacer in a hope freehub
I was plodding along when the rear end decided to seize up every 200 mtrs or so.
it got to the point where you could not stop pedalling as the chain would wrap around and rip the rear mech up
the hub its self is a right mess inside so all fooked up now
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

burty wrote: it got to the point where you could not stop pedalling as the chain would wrap around and rip the rear mech up
the hub its self is a right mess inside so all fooked up now
That can make it more expensive as I found to my cost on the WRT. Managed to bend the pins in a GX rear mech within 500m of bearbones towers. £28 to fix the free hub. £68 to replace the mech :cry:
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

Should have gone single speed burty :grin:
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

A great day out and huge credit to Stu Rider for putting on this chilled event

Pleased to get in just after 11pm. I could still see whitestone's tyre tracks and a fleeting view of his lights on the last decent :wink:

Several pictures on my Strava https://www.strava.com/activities/11538 ... 1503789323

Roll on the BB200 :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Didn't realise it was your wheel that had fubarred Burty until this morning when Stuart went through the fates of runners and riders. Cath said you'd been looking forward to it as you hadn't done much round here :cry: Give us a shout and I'm sure we can sort a ride out.

The Venn diagram for this year's event had two large circles marked "Bearbones shirt" and "Andy". The third large circle was marked "Believed the 'gravel friendly' tag", this was changed in later versions to "What the f*** was that!"

Managed to hang on to htrider's rear wheel for 20Km then didn't see him for dust :lol: He finished in around 13 1/2 hours, well done Phil. I was then in a small, elastic group of three as far as Pateley Bridge where we took on more water as the next "en-route" refuelling wasn't for about 40Km. Managed to clean the climb out of Bouthwaite though I did get completely burnt off by the group on e-bikes :oops: Stuart was at the top of the climb, chillin', so rode with him across the next moorland until we met a crosser, local rider, fixing a flat. With a split tyre and both spare tubes already used he decided to scratch. Rode with Andy (Roobell7) to The Forbidden Corner where we rewatered and grabbed an ice cream.

Picked up another Andy on the ride round to Bishopdale and Stuart caught us up again, having gone to a shop off-route. The next section was probably the crux having the three biggest climbs of the route. The first up on to Stake Moss was a drag, quite literally as it was straight into the wind and just took forever. Stuart suddenly disappeared on the descent to Kidstones, nothing serious as it turned out, he'd dropped a water bottle. The four of us blasted down the road to the next climb, Horsehead Moor. Every ITT has to have some hike-a-bike. This was it! Eventually the descent arrived but even this wasn't that pleasant. The third climb I have cleaned but had to walk 50 metres this time, almost catching Stuart, but once at the top he was gone. The route from here was much more suited to crossers, even if I had caught him I couldn't have kept up. The others had fallen behind on Horsehead Moor, I wouldn't see another rider until the finish.

I got to Clapham and had pint of orange juice and some crisps before heading to Gisburn Forest. The climb up to Keasden Knotts is a drag on a road bike, on a MTB it's awful :| Heading into Long Preston there are arrows and signs for an event. Some are amusing: "Extreme care! Technical descent ahead", hmm, should I touch the brakes? The signs are for the CX Pre-Peaks event (today). A quick restock at the Co-op in Settle then it's the last hill over to Malham, at least the cows sat next to the track are chilled out. Finally it's road back to Skipton to finish in 14hrs 50mins.

Most if not all chose to ride the route in one so there was a steady stream of finishers through the night. Cath and (another) Andy arrived at about 5am. Had to have a bit of a kip when we got home :-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Good to put faces to some of your names. Again thanks to Stu for organising it, great fun, even on an overgeared Demo bike!