Is it an adventure bike....?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slightly

Re: Is it an adventure bike....?

Post by slightly »

New 2017 Vagabond frameset on Ebay currently...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genesis-Vagab ... SwAH1ZiM3i
> r a n d o m e u r <
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

ootini wrote:
GregMay wrote:As Stu says, Cutty is the most specific bike I own. I'd not buy one unless you have a deep urge to ride the Tour Divide route or something similar.

Don't get me wrong, it is the most wonderful bike I own. But you could get something better for normal riding.

Again, stop overthinking, buy something that you like. In the end, it is just a tool to get out into the world.
Yeah, I think I am over thinking this... See what I did there! :wink:

I must admit, I'm smitten with the Cutthroat, it just looks utterly f*******g stunning. Quick question though, given the massively varied terrain of the Tour Divide, technical single track, endless gravel roads. Doesn't that make the Cutthroat the perfect Jack of all trades? I know some people view it as a one trick pony, but let's be honest, it's a hell of a trick...
Before you buy anything keep your eye out for tomorrow press release from LAU F.............. I've said too much already....... :oops:
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

I've just received an update from them by email stating that the maximum tyre size one can fit to a vagabond is 29X2.1", however I know of people getting 29x2.2/2.3" tyres on depending on tread. They also state, that the Vagabond is a dedicated 29er and as such it is a dedicated 29er so I wouldn't be able to run 650b wheels on it.......

Have I missed something? As far as I was aware as long as the hubs and brake rotors match I can run any wheel diameter I want? With the increased tyre volume compensating for the lower BB height.... Is there something about the Vagabond that means this isn't possible?
There's no problem getting a bigger tyre on the front, however at the back there's very little clearance between the front mech and the tyre (29" x 2.1s), however if you ran a single chain ring/no front mech, then I'm sure you could fit bigger rear tyres than 2.1s
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

JohnClimber wrote:Before you buy anything keep your eye out for tomorrow press release from LAU F.............. I've said too much already....... :oops:
Would this http://www.laufforks.com/true-grit/ be what you are referring to John?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

whitestone wrote:
JohnClimber wrote:Before you buy anything keep your eye out for tomorrow press release from LAU F.............. I've said too much already....... :oops:
Would this http://www.laufforks.com/true-grit/ be what you are referring to John?
When colour coded and integrated into a bike the forks look fine. I like the look of that a lot.

John, any hints on how to get one cheap?!
Pat

Post by Pat »

It looks nice, if you can get a different set of forks on it and it wasn't about 3xcycle to work amount!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A bike that comes with a bottle opener instead of a front mech is fine by me :grin:

Can't they afford to give their model some outer clothes rather than make him stand there in his underwear?

More seriously: a proper, threaded, bottom bracket :-bd
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I couldn't say anything about them as they have been talking about this for the last few month, I found out at the Dirty Riever 200.
Seeing them in the flesh just after their press ride the other week was really good and they look really smart and I couldn't believe how light they were, the large was too large for me, 5' 8" with 31" inside leg and I can't wait to try out a medium.

IMO, The True Grit will make a great single lightweight bivi night quick blast bike or gravel event and single track monster, but I'd hate to cover it with frame bags with the paint rubbing marks on the carbon frame.
Ti frames to bike packing trips Lauf True Grit for blast bivi's.

The slight sweep back of their drop bars are a really nice touch and they are thinking of bringing out a flared version for us types.

It's super light weight.... bring on next years WRT weigh in ;-)
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Overheard in a bike shop today (I think it was the owner or manager):

"I can't believe how many people are buying into this Adventure Bike fad."

It's not the bike, it's what you do with it.

I do like the look of the True Grit, but not an early adopter any more; had my fingers burnt with too much eagerness for the latest thing!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Well, chalk up another one. An Arkose 4 arrives this week. Mostly it's for commuting now Ive in a full time job and have emptied my garage of all but one other bike (sob .... ) but Im very keen to see how capable it is on Chilterns bridle paths and Cotswolds lanes. I wish the fork had low rider rack mounts.

I'm just going outside ...
psling

Post by psling »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Overheard in a bike shop today (I think it was the owner or manager):

It's not the bike, it's what you do with it.

I do like the look of the True Grit, but not an early adopter any more; had my fingers burnt with too much eagerness for the latest thing!
It's a natural progression, isn't it. Years ago the rough stuff boys used to ride their 28" wheeled bikes with moustache handlebars and canvas rolls, then people started commuting and riding fire roads on cross bikes and 28mm tyres (my 'cross' bike of 12 years vintage has extra bottle bosses and rack eyes added) Then 29ers came along with disc brakes and people started putting drop bars and steep stems on them. Now we have adventure bikes/gravel bikes which are essentially cross bikes with disc brakes. Geometry has progressed to suit and we now have a load of bikes suitable for pot-holed roads, gravel cycle paths and tow paths (oh, and adventure and bikepacking but my guess is that's not what most of them will be used for!).
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Flipside, I can't understand why so many people buy fairly uncomfortable bikes that are limited to use on often-busy roads... 'Adventure' bikes = what 'road' bikes should be for all but the keenest racer types.
TheBrownDog wrote:Well, chalk up another one.
:-bd I hope it works well for you since Chilterns bridle paths and Cotswolds lanes make up a lot of my riding, past and present.
I wish the fork had low rider rack mounts.
I'm not a composites engineer but carbon and pannier mounting makes me quite nervous.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Seen this yet? Mongoose 2018 Guide...

Expertly riden :-bd

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bAJT5-EKvy0
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

jameso wrote: Flipside, I can't understand why so many people buy fairly uncomfortable bikes that are limited to use on often-busy roads... 'Adventure' bikes = what 'road' bikes should be for all but the keenest racer types.
This, like a million times.
I work in a road biased shop and I still have yet to work out why so many people insist on dawdling around the lanes on top flight race bikes. I get they're quick, but the majority of my customers would be so much better off with one of the new breed of all road bikes, 30+mm tyres (tubeless of course) and hydro brakes. I've got just such a thing and its just a better tool for the UK roads than a the classic road race bike.
giryan

Post by giryan »

Yep, so much this. I wish I had done exactly this years ago when I bought my first bike.
At that time I was tempted by a Specialized Tricross, instead went for a Trek hybrid. After a while that wasn't "road" enough, so got a Madone 2.1. But then I wanted to do "not-road", and the Madone really didn't want to be on anything even vaguely rough, so I bought a 29" hard tail.
And now I'm looking for some sort of "adventure bike", which by changing tyres would probably do most of the riding that all of the bikes I have do. :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I never understand this ... people seem happy to use 'soft luggage' when off-road but seem to feel some sort of compulsion to fit racks and panniers when they venture onto the road. Surely the same benefits of soft luggage exist regardless of terrain or bike type?
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I never understand this ... people seem happy to use 'soft luggage' when off-road but seem to feel some sort of compulsion to fit racks and panniers when they venture onto the road. Surely the same benefits of soft luggage exist regardless of terrain or bike type?
Main benefit for me being I already own it! :lol:

If I was loading up that much stuff I'd tke something else probably.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I never understand this ... people seem happy to use 'soft luggage' when off-road but seem to feel some sort of compulsion to fit racks and panniers when they venture onto the road. Surely the same benefits of soft luggage exist regardless of terrain or bike type
I like my bikepacking bikes on my bikepacking bike because they're light and don't upset the handling too much. They also force me to think a bit more whether I really need to take everything.

When I road tour, I like to carry comforts - big tent, extra clothes, folding chair. I also really like being able to remove things from the bike quickly and easily if I'm at all concerned about the surrounds and want to take things into the tent, or wherever, with me. Admittedly, not much of an issue in the Cotwolds .......

Horses for courses, of course, but I rather struggle with riders who cover their bikes with all sorts of bags when they might be better off with panniers or even a trailer. But then, this rider could be doing a massive self-supported off road tour and quite like the way his/her bike handles. Not for me though.

I'm just going outside ...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

What are the two bits of Meccano for that are attached to the seat stay?

Also he could save a bit of weight by using a 1x drivetrain :wink: :roll:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

but I rather struggle with riders who cover their bikes with all sorts of bags when they might be better off with panniers or even a trailer.
Good God yes, that really is awful. Not only will I hinder progress by choosing to ride a fat bike, I will also attach every bag possible and load each one with sh1te before strapping more sh1te to each bag. As you say, they may be undertaking a 5 year, back of beyond adventure but really, there's still no need for that type of thing ... probably better off with a car. :wink:

PS. if that ^ belongs to someone on here ... no offence :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

^^^

that's a spoof, right?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Looks legit to me. Needs a trailer. Then a kiddie tow trailer behind it.

/sarcasticface

Against all odds, I managed to do a 4 hour ride at the weekend with just two shirt pockets of stuff and a 500ml bottle of water. It felt like cheating.
Last edited by GregMay on Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

TheBrownDog wrote:
Rich Munro had more than that on his bike when we did the CL earlier this year.. :lol:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

jameso wrote:^^^

that's a spoof, right?
No...I came across the this blog while researching what bikepacking is all about. He has checklists for his checklists!

http://finalfrontier.bike/
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Wotsits wrote:
TheBrownDog wrote:
Rich Munro had more than that on his bike when we did the CL earlier this year.. :lol:
Jase's trail snacks for a day ride :lol: :lol: