Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Re: Specialized Sequoia

Post by ootini »

atk wrote:
ootini wrote:
atk wrote:
ootini wrote:Specialized (EvilCorp) A lot of people have issues with the big corporation, although this really doesn't bother me.
I don't even know where to start with this :YMSIGH:
It seems it might be an American thing. I've been looking for reviews and it seems a lot of people on American forums appear to dislike Specialized as a brand / company.
I'm referring to your attitude, not them repeatedly breaking life's most important rule: don't be a dick.

They've also ripped off Porcelain Rocket, King Cage (including ordering from Ron, to their R&D department directly) and their new tarmac looks very much like Rob English's aero road bike from a few years back.
My attitude ? Sorry, I'm not with you.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

their new tarmac looks very much like Rob English's aero road bike from a few years back
If any of their crimes could be forgiven painting a road bike black and fitting tan wall tyres to a frame made from a completely different material would be it. :lol:
atk

Post by atk »

ootini wrote:My attitude ? Sorry, I'm not with you.
Your apathy towards their behaviour/bullying
atk

Post by atk »

johnnystorm wrote:
their new tarmac looks very much like Rob English's aero road bike from a few years back
If any of their crimes could be forgiven painting a road bike black and fitting tan wall tyres to a frame made from a completely different material would be it. :lol:
I suppose their are only so many ways of welding two triangles together... lacks imagination at least
https://instagram.com/p/BV-jdsjldBj/
ootini

Post by ootini »

atk wrote:
ootini wrote:My attitude ? Sorry, I'm not with you.
Your apathy towards their behaviour/bullying
I knew nothing about it until this thread. I only knew that Specialized were "frowned upon", I had no idea why.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

atk wrote:
johnnystorm wrote:
I suppose their are only so many ways of welding two triangles together... lacks imagination at least
Yep, that's why they didn't bother welding the tarmac.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

atk wrote:
johnnystorm wrote:

Sloping top tube with the seat stays brazed lower than normal. I might have some pics of stuff we were doing in the late 80's early 90's which look exactly like that. The frames were made by Helmut (Sonic Cycles) with input from Mike Burrows. I've still got a horizontal top tube frame from Sonic with the lowered seat stays. There really is nothing new about it.
atk

Post by atk »

Pirahna wrote:
atk wrote:
johnnystorm wrote:

Sloping top tube with the seat stays brazed lower than normal. I might have some pics of stuff we were doing in the late 80's early 90's which look exactly like that. The frames were made by Helmut (Sonic Cycles) with input from Mike Burrows. I've still got a horizontal top tube frame from Sonic with the lowered seat stays. There really is nothing new about it.
Downtube cutout too!

I know it's a bit far-fetched to claim they've ripped Rob off, but from a distance you'd be hard pressed to tell the two apart if you removed the decals.

As a company though they've crossed the line too many times and I won't be giving them any business (I also remember they had a playboy-theme trade stand or something for an ebike a couple of years ago...).
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ootini wrote:....the brakes! Oh deary me. On the flat, in the car park with not much momentum they're fine. However, build up a bit of speed, down hill and need to use them in anger and they don't inspire confidence. As I said, I still quite like the bike in general, but I've decided I'd much rather have hydraulic brakes. So, back to the effing drawing board
How many miles has the bike done? My BB7's were a bit lacking in power when I first got the bike but once the pads had bedded in properly they are as powerful as the Shimano Deore hydro mtb brakes I used to run, albeit with actual feel to the lever :smile: Maybe the Tektor's just aren't very good brakes but it would be easy and cheap to swap to BB7 callipers? I was a bit concerned about mechanical brakes when I got my Planet X but now they've bedded in I'd happily have them on the MTB. I was also worried about tales of having to constantly adjust them but other than a bit of tinkering in the first couple of weeks as they bedded in I think I've only adjusted them twice since in the last year and covered 2600 miles. So don't rule out a bike just because of the spec of the brakes.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Pat

Post by Pat »

The spyres on my sequoia are excellent. After a proper bedding in process, they have no problem locking the front wheel up. Even in the wet, they are very good. I won't be swapping them out.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Pat wrote:The spyres on my sequoia are excellent. After a proper bedding in process, they have no problem locking the front wheel up. Even in the wet, they are very good. I won't be swapping them out.
It could be the setup of the brakes, as opposed to make, model and function: http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 0&start=25
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

atk wrote: I'm referring to your attitude, not them repeatedly breaking life's most important rule: don't be a dick.
Something we could all try 'eh ATK?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

PANDA
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:PANDA
Indeed :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

sub standard!

sub standard!

Phew!

:cool:
atk

Post by atk »

I don't think calling out questionable ethics is a dick move.

Generally speaking if you acknowledge a company is "bad" in some way, or admit to knowing there's something up but don't necessarily know what and then either choose to ignore that for your own gain, or choose to remain uninformed despite the warning, then you're condoning their behaviour. In this case it's essentially bullying (big legal vs. small independent), I know I've been away for 5 months but I'm still pretty sure that's a bad thing.

This isn't a personal attack on Dave(?), maybe his original post just came across wrong. He's obviously free to support whichever company he wants and hopefully do so in an informed manner (about cable/hydro brakes and bar end shifters too!).
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

I've got an Elite, 2x gearing etc. Stock tyres measure over 45mm on the standard rims and have shocked me with how much grip seems to be available. Keen to try a 650b setup, given the size of the stock wheel setup, it should swallow a 2.1 without much difficulty. Just the 12mm axle front hub makes it a bit more difficult. Great bike for most of my riding on the doorstep, commuting etc.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

The new Diverge might be worth a look, the tyre clearances have been opened up for 700x42 and 650x47. Depends if you can live with the knowledge that a baby panda gets put in blender everytime you ride a specialized.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: You missed out Revelate having to change their name from Epic.
I think that did them a favour. Epic is a terrible name.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Must have caused unwanted expense though ... and it never seems like a favour when a court order decides what you can and can't call your own business :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

This is Eric's response about the name:

The business was originally called “Epic Designs” but I had to change it due to a trademark dispute with a mega bike brand. I brainstormed with the help of friends for months trying to come up with something I liked. One day Nordic skiing the name Revelate came up, derived from the Revelation mountains here in Alaska. It also draws from Revolution – change, and elation – being happy at what you do. So it stuck. But to be honest, nothing really sounds good when you are forced to change the name of a business that you’ve toiled over.

And

You might be thinking “what happened to Epic Designs”? Little trademark dispute . . . led to a name change. Epic Designs is no more. It was hard to swallow and a stressful couple of months, but we’ve embraced the change and used it as an opportunity to kick it up a notch and build a new website.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Must have caused unwanted expense though ... and it never seems like a favour when a court order decides what you can and can't call your own business :wink:
You're absolutely right. I was being stupid. Specialized are evil. Like any company that keeps itself big by throwing around its weight legally or with patents.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

'Stumpjumper luggage' and I can see that they might be miffed but 'Epic' ... might as well start try to sue every journo that's ever written a route guide for MBR or MBUK :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

This one crossed my radar:
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/speci ... pute-22586

I didn't know the revelate/epic story.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Spesh are basically the Monsanto of bikes.