SPOT Tracker Renewal Fees - Being Gouged?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

Re: SPOT Tracker Renewal Fees - Being Gouged?

Post by Asposium »

Apparently cannot send a 999 text when "camped"

http://www.mountainsafety.co.uk/EP-Mobi ... Voice-aspx

http://www.mountainsafety.co.uk/EP-Emer ... Phone-Text

"If you do not have a signal on your home network, you will not be able to send a text to 999."
Last edited by Asposium on Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Mariner wrote:
sean_iow wrote:I'm sure the wife and myself could get used to not knowing where I was again (pre-spot days) without too much difficulty but, now I have it if I cancelled and then needed it in an emergency I don't know how we feel about that. The worst case scenario for me would be to come across someone else who's badly injured in a remote area with no phone signal and then have to leave them to summon help.
Why have they not activated their SPOT emergency call?
Isnt dealing with this scenario yourself one of the unwritten rules and not resorting to call out as first response?
I think we're talking about scenarios outwith events like the HTR etc. Using the emergency button on the SPOT is no different from calling for 999 except that it's more likely to get through to the emergency services.

I can think of various other scenarios where a "please come to get me" message to the spouse would also be useful without it being a full-blown emergency.
deft punk

Post by deft punk »

It's worth noting that you can't register a Manx sim with 999 SMS, at least not on the mainland anyway.
Asposium wrote: A 999 call will use any available UK network.
but... unless you're on your "home" network or using a Manx SIM the people dealing with your call can't phone you back if they need to.
slarge

Post by slarge »

There must be a market for those of us with SPOT trackers to rent them out. Either a shared ownership of the subscription or a straight rental.

Mine sits in the box for the vast majority of it's life, only being taken out for ITTs or big trips
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

I have borrowed a friend's unit for just this basis. I'm can't see my justifying the purchase and full contract of one for the 2-3 trips a year I might feel the need for one. Its a bloody expensive bit of kit given the amount of time it actually gets used. I suspect Spot will have something to say about anyone setting up a rental business.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Folk already rent them.for events.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've been bored so just checked the Garmin In-Reach site about pricing. All the below assumes I've read it correctly. There are monthly and yearly contracts, I'm assuming that those looking at the system are doing so to get the lowest cost per annum and that they are really only requiring such a service for the occasional event (or maybe that's me). I'm not sure if the monthly fees are per calendar month or 30 days from when you enable/re-enable it, I'll assume the latter.

The cheapest price is via the "Safety" subscription but this doesn't include tracking (or much else TBH) but as an emergency system is fine. If you did a couple of events a year in different months that required a tracker, like the HT550, then 18hrs tracking per day using a ten minute interval will cost you £10.80. Let's say you use eight day's worth, that all adds up to £120.38 ( 2 month's subscription at £16.99 plus £86.40 tracking fee).

If you used the next subscription level up, Recreation, then the tracking is included and you'd only need two month's subscription at £37.99 a month so £75.98. You actually can get another month's subscription for less than the above "cheap" option.

None of the above include the actual purchase of the device.

Unless your nearest and dearest wants to know exactly where you are all the time (creepy) then I'd be inclined to go the following paths:

Out occasionally, no tracking: Get the Safety subscription and enable as and when you need it.
Out regularly, no tracking: Get the annual Safety subscription.
Out occasionally, with tracking: Get the Recreation subscription and enable as and when you need it.
Out regularly, with tracking: Get the annual Recreation subscription.

The crossover point when In-Reach is more expensive than SPOT subscription charges is five months on the Recreation monthly plan.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

whitestone,

posted above.
a way to get "cheaper" tracking, assuming in an area with occasional cellular coverage.
preset messages are free, and can be used as tracking points, albeit manually

inReach
If used for 12months the inReach is more expensive; however, the service can be suspended with zero cost

the cheapest inReach monthly plan does not include free tracking ....tracking costs 10pence per point.
however, given that we are seldom without cellular connection in the UK I had a cunning plan.
more info here if interested....
https://www.facebook.com/DavidBirkinAdv ... 2407158809
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote: The crossover point when In-Reach is more expensive than SPOT subscription charges is five months on the Recreation monthly plan.
Though there's also the cost of the device to be written off.

(good analysis btw - I'd been wondering how it would all work out)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

As I noted - none of the calcs include the device purchase.

Amazon have the SPOT Gen3 at £108 compared with the In-Reach SE+ at £399, call it £100 vs £400. Lifetime of 5 years? so that's £80/year vs £20. I might need to add that to the spreadsheet :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
slarge

Post by slarge »

Reminder for those who want to - email Spot customer services to cancel your subscription. Just had an email through to say that basic tracking is 179.99 euros, plus 14.99 network fee, plus 89.99 if you have enhanced tracking. FFS.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

SPOT are doing on-demand services now. 1-3 days for 45USD + taxes. If you're using your SPOT for under 10 days a year, you can save some pennies this way.

Greetz

S.
Mart

Post by Mart »

slarge wrote:There must be a market for those of us with SPOT trackers to rent them out. Either a shared ownership of the subscription or a straight rental. Mine sits in the box for the vast majority of it's life, only being taken out for ITTs or big trips
Came back to this thread as I have a trip planned and was thinking of asking if I could either rent or borrow one
For me this trip is more about letting wife and friends follow where we are - through some web page
the emergency thing will be secondary

http://www.spottrackerrental.co.uk/

Web page shows the cost for a trip over a week but less than 2 would be £50. Who would lend/rent theirs to me for less?
2924 miles per Gallon
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

You can borrow mine depending on dates
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Mart

Post by Mart »

That's very generous Dave - dates would be 7th to 17th of June
2924 miles per Gallon
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Yep should be fine. PM me nearer the time to arrange
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

slarge wrote:Reminder for those who want to - email Spot customer services to cancel your subscription. Just had an email through to say that basic tracking is 179.99 euros, plus 14.99 network fee, plus 89.99 if you have enhanced tracking. FFS.
So, a couple of months ago I got my renewal notice from Spot. I was going to be something like £209. Too much! In complying with their T&Cs I waited until 30 days before renewal date and telephoned their office to cancel my subscription. I spoke to a nice lady and told her the price was too high whereupon she offered a price cut. It's still a lot - £144 - but OK, I can manage that, They didn't take the payment until today, almost two weeks late.

I wonder if it'll work again next year....
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Just got my dreaded email from spot demanding €195 for my yearly subs, just replied and waiting a response.
Will update when I get my reply.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Taylor wrote:Just got my dreaded email from spot demanding €195 for my yearly subs, just replied and waiting a response.
Will update when I get my reply.
Me too. I've emailed to cancel, so either I'll be offered a rebate or they'll call my bluff and cancel my service. I'm not intending many races this year so may let it lapse instead.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

AlasdairMc wrote:I'm not intending many races this year so may let it lapse instead.
Partly why I went with inReach.
My inReach has been on suspend since September.
Will reactivate for next event.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

How much does an InReach cost to buy?
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

ScotRoutes wrote:How much does an InReach cost to buy?
retail is £450.
with various discount codes and quidco cashback i paid ~£375
there is an annual subscription of £25 (i think it's £25)
then pay per month
cheapest "unlimited tracking" is £38 per month

not cheap.
but proven to be very reliable.
two-way messaging and weather forecasts are very handy.

i will be at WRT if anyone wants to see.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Does inReach work with Trackleaders? I looked on the Trackleaders website but it seems to be only SPOT? If I was being a cynical I would think that SPOT charge so much as you have to use their tracker to enter an event which uses Trackleaders? Hopefully not the case as the option to suspend the use of the inReach would save money.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

sean_iow wrote:Does inReach work with Trackleaders? I looked on the Trackleaders website but it seems to be only SPOT? If I was being a cynical I would think that SPOT charge so much as you have to use their tracker to enter an event which uses Trackleaders? Hopefully not the case as the option to suspend the use of the inReach would save money.
I believe it does
I’m sure I asked this very question before buying the inReach
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

5 or 6 years before the InReach would start to save me any money then(assuming they don't also increase charges and on how many months I use it).Gawd knows if I'll even be riding then