SPOT Tracker Renewal Fees - Being Gouged?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

tomwardill

Re: SPOT Tracker Renewal Fees - Being Gouged?

Post by tomwardill »

Ray Young wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:I feel quite relieved that I'm able to save myself both the expense and stress of ownership, by leaving mine in the box high on a shelf :-bd
I went one better, after seeing how much the annual fee was I decided not to even buy one.
Pretty much my opinion too. Not that I've done much (any) stuff that would require one, they're definitely not on my list of 'possible things to buy in the future', given that mess.

If that happened to me, I'd be doing a chargeback via my bank.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:
It's taken from my account the same time every year and, as with all my regular expenditure, I have my own records of when that will happen, allowing me to plan accordingly.

It's not exactly rocket science.
So do you factor in the automatic, 8% increase each year?
Check the current rates 31 days before renewal.
Decide whether or not to renew.
If not, send email.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Just cancelled mine, I'm finding phone network to be much better now.

You have to cancel by phone, they offered me $65 reduction to stay, so even if you are going to renew threaten to cancel :-bd
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: It does appear that we don't have a lot of other choices, especially when it comes to things like Trackleaders. With my experience of Garmin reliability, I am loathed to depend on them to provide my last option for recovery when it all goes wrong somewhere remote.
I believe trackleaders will work with the Garmin inReach.

the inReach subscription can be suspended when not in use.

very impressed with the inReach
however the unit cost is more than a SPOT
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Unit cost should only really be a concern once though. As much as the spot gives me some peace of mind, I definitely feel like they've been screwing me.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Richard G wrote:Unit cost should only really be a concern once though. As much as the spot gives me some peace of mind, I definitely feel like they've been screwing me.
the inReach costs ~£300 after various discounts and quidco cashback
there is an annual activation fee of £25
then a monthly subscription ranging from £17 (*) to £105
subscription can be suspended for free
the android /iPhone app is free

will likely suspend my subscription over the winter
(*) have suggested to Garmin a lower SOS-only level, i.e. no tracking. see what they say
giryan

Post by giryan »

Ray Young wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:I feel quite relieved that I'm able to save myself both the expense and stress of ownership, by leaving mine in the box high on a shelf :-bd
I went one better, after seeing how much the annual fee was I decided not to even buy one.
Yeah, I visited the stand at the Outdoor Adventure & Camping Show, and decided not to :)
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Asposium wrote:there is an annual activation fee of £25
If this could be incorporated into something that resembles an Etrex 30, and I had more confidence in Garmin's reliability, I would look at this, but even £25 + (12 x £17) is worse than SPOT (if it is needed year round).

What do you get for £105, a butler!?
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:
Asposium wrote:there is an annual activation fee of £25
If this could be incorporated into something that resembles an Etrex 30, and I had more confidence in Garmin's reliability, I would look at this, but even £25 + (12 x £17) is worse than SPOT (if it is needed year round).

What do you get for £105, a butler!?
https://www.facebook.com/DavidBirkinAdv ... =3&theatre

£105 subscription is 2min tracking and unlimited messages.
somewhat overpriced. :shock:
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

whats wrong with just sending a text if you need help,i wonder how we managed before they invented a spot tracker
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

windjammer wrote:whats wrong with just sending a text if you need help,i wonder how we managed before they invented a spot tracker
Lack of phone signal?
If there is a phone signal then there is no need for a satellite tracker.

We managed before cars, mobile phones, the internet; what's your point?
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

windjammer wrote:whats wrong with just sending a text if you need help,i wonder how we managed before they invented a spot tracker
Some parts of the world don't have GSM coverage. These areas are often remote, and if you have a serious accident you are very vulnerable to death before anybody will be able to help. That's why yachts have carried distress beacons for decades. There is no doubt some people have died through 'misadventure' who could have been saved if they had been able to send an SOS (where SAR capability exists). It's just about mitigating the risk to a level you are content with.

A friend of mine used to guide MTB routes in remote areas for a well known UK company. He quit the company as they did not conduct coherent Risk Assessments, choosing to allocate their limited supply of satellite phones to climbing or high altitude trekking expeds but not MTB expeds, just because that was just tradition, despite MTB being as vulnerable to a serious injury in complex terrain (from a rescue perspective).

RAs provide a pseudo-objective framework for analysing (and mitigating) hazardous activities, but ultimately each individual will have their own, probably subjective/emotive, calculus on what they are content with. Having survived a MTB incident that resulted in serious injury and required Mountain Rescue to evacuate me, I feel much more comfortable going into 'wild country' on my own with a distress beacon.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:
Some parts of the world don't have GSM coverage. These areas are often remote, and if you have a serious accident you are very vulnerable to death before anybody will be able to help. That's why yachts have carried distress beacons for decades. There is no doubt some people have died through 'misadventure' who could have been saved if they had been able to send an SOS (where SAR capability exists). It's just about mitigating the risk to a level you are content with.

A friend of mine used to guide MTB routes in remote areas for a well known UK company. He quit the company as they did not conduct coherent Risk Assessments, choosing to allocate their limited supply of satellite phones to climbing or high altitude trekking expeds but not MTB expeds, just because that was just tradition, despite MTB being as vulnerable to a serious injury in complex terrain (from a rescue perspective).

RAs provide a pseudo-objective framework for analysing (and mitigating) hazardous activities, but ultimately each individual will have their own, probably subjective/emotive, calculus on what they are content with. Having survived a MTB incident that resulted in serious injury and required Mountain Rescue to evacuate me, I feel much more comfortable going into 'wild country' on my own with a distress beacon.
Exactly.

Why I have an Iridium satellite phone with a GEOS insurance policy, and more recently a Garmin inReach.
Might sell the sat phone given how good is the inReach, same network after all.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Update.

After I emailed SPOT and asking why they don't have a method to cancel subscription renewal online, I was told I have to call then on an international number.

I did some research into consumer law, both UK and EU, and basically if a company sells a service 'at a distance' either by phone or online, they must provide a 'form' to cancel said service. I cited some text from the legal stuff I found in a reply to them, some from Which?, some from Citizens Advice Bureau and some from an EU Law article.

SPOT promptly cancelled my automated renewal, by email.
We are sorry to hear that you wish to deactivate your SPOT service. It has been a pleasure to serve you as a SPOT customer. We want you to know that we truly value your business.

As requested your SPOT service will be deactivated on [date] a day before the next renewal, however, we would like to extend to you a generous offer. We would like to apply a $60.00 customer loyalty credit to your account for your annual renewal to contiune to enjoy the same benefits and features at a discounted price.

This offer is only available 5 days from this email, and if you decide to re-activate your SPOT service at a later date, will not be applicable.
So they are also trying to bribe me to stay. No thanks.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

mountainbaker wrote:Update.
We are sorry to hear that you wish to deactivate your SPOT service. It has been a pleasure to serve you as a SPOT customer. We want you to know that we truly value your business.

As requested your SPOT service will be deactivated on [date] a day before the next renewal, however, we would like to extend to you a generous offer. We would like to apply a $60.00 customer loyalty credit to your account for your annual renewal to contiune to enjoy the same benefits and features at a discounted price.

This offer is only available 5 days from this email, and if you decide to re-activate your SPOT service at a later date, will not be applicable.
So they are also trying to bribe me to stay. No thanks.
could be a useful tactic for those that wish to get a discount on their renewal fee. :-bd :wink:
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Asposium wrote:could be a useful tactic for those that wish to get a discount on their renewal fee. :-bd :wink:
Totally. Go for it.
Dovebiker

Post by Dovebiker »

No further update from me - requested that my CC company cancel the charge and awaiting the refund. I would have renewed my sub if the charge was reasonable, but the fact that they effectively doubled-it just shows they're only out to scr£w customers, not providing renewal notifications or means to cancel online.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

When I further challenged their standard response I was told:

"Upon activation, you are required to submit to the terms and conditions, which clearly state automatic renewal. (see attached)

We send out email notifications of price increases. Please make sure that our emails are not going to spam or another folder."

- hard to verify, but I suspect they are not being honest as all other correspondence with them has not been filtered into Junk.

So I have 3 options:

1. Report the auto-renewal to my card provider as fraud.
2. Cancel my subscription when it expires next year.
3. Suck it up and feel aggrieved that I am being screwed, but have no better alternative...

I expect it will be option 3, as even though I don't use it regularly, when I need it, I need it.
JerseyMountainBiker

Post by JerseyMountainBiker »

I will be cancelling mine. I don't use it year round (although I kid myself I do!). Wil be going with InReach - I like the facility to send text messages - I think this will be more useful in the minor emergency type situation.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Any use???

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/news-storie ... ght-cancel

Fo future reference, a Garmin inReach may be suspended for zero cost; though if used regularly the Garmin does work out more expensive.
Big fan of mine, as most people here might have guessed. :-bd
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

JerseyMountainBiker wrote:I will be cancelling mine. I don't use it year round (although I kid myself I do!). Wil be going with InReach - I like the facility to send text messages - I think this will be more useful in the minor emergency type situation.
If getting the inReach this might be useful to know.
https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/story.ph ... 64239&fs=5

I know a method to get the inReach a little bit cheaper, relative though
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've had a look at my previous invoices and they work out like this (all prices in Euros);

2013: 144 +VAT = 177 (Unltd tracking was 32)
2014: 144 +VAT = 177 (Unltd tracking was 32)
2015: 152 +VAT = 183 (Unltd tracking was 32)
2016: 137 +VAT = 165 (I dropped Unltd tracking)
2017: looks like it'll be 180 +VAT ??

I see there's also something called a "Network Maintenance Fee" that applies Year 2 onwards and is 15 Euros. I don't recall that one before.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Just had an email from SPOT with price increase notifications:-

" Dear Valued SPOT Customer,

Thank you for your continued loyalty to SPOT. We hope that SPOT's award winning technology and proven reliability has helped you enjoy your adventures and provided additional peace of mind to your family and friends while you were off the grid.

As we continue to upgrade our network to ensure you the best possible and most reliable service in the industry, this email is to inform you of upcoming changes to the cost of your SPOT service plan(s):

A Network Maintenance Fee of EUR 14.99 will be charged to your account upon service renewal.
The Basic Service plan that your device(s) are currently on has been discontinued and will be migrated over to our new enhanced Basic Service plan. As such, your current price will increase to EUR 179.99 at the time of your renewal.
If you have Extreme Tracking on your account, your new service fee will be EUR 84.99 per year for this service which you will incur upon renewal."

So it looks like it will be EUR 195 this year. That's the cheapest option for anyone who's on their second year or longer. I don't really see I've any choice but to pay up. It's not often when I need but when I am out somewhere away from home e.g on the Yorkshire Dales for 2 days last month, the wife would of been on edge for 2 days wondering if I was ok so I'd of felt compelled to keep texting her when I could to let her know I was ok. With the SPOT I can just ride and not worry about anything else, but if it was much more I'd have to consider if it was worth the cost.

The change to the service plans also explains how I now have tracking that I don't have to restart every 24 hrs and at 5 minute intervals.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The Gen3 has never required a 24hr restart.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Mine required a restart after 24hrs on the Braunton? That's the only time I've had the SPOT on for more than 24hrs continuously. I thought the old basic plan didn't support unlimited tracking. The instructions that came with the unit say

"BASIC TRACKING: With Basic Tracking, messages are sent every 10 minutes for 24 hours while moving, or until cancelled. To re-engage Tracking after 24 hours has passed, press and hold the Track button until the function light blinks green."

Not that the increase in cost is value for money for the one or two times a year it might be on for over 24 hours.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger