SPOT Tracker Renewal Fees - Being Gouged?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: SPOT Tracker Renewal Fees - Being Gouged?

Post by whitestone »

Trackleaders can use either SPOT or Delorme which is the company that Garmin bought to "create" the InReach
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Thanks chaps :smile: The reason I asked is that the Trackleaders website looks like an advert for SPOT and they even go as far in their details to say "Our partnership with SPOT" so I wondered if they were exclusively SPOT.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

My window cleaner - currently in Columbia hanging from his kite thingy - uses a DeLorme.
He got in the states on his way home from a trip for £250 but got the small screen version(?) and uses his iphone for maps and as key board(?)
Says it has good battery life and uses battery pack for the iphone.
There is an annual fee then just pays for the months he wants to use it.
Think I may need a window cleaning round. :|
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

sean_iow wrote:Thanks chaps :smile: The reason I asked is that the Trackleaders website looks like an advert for SPOT and they even go as far in their details to say "Our partnership with SPOT" so I wondered if they were exclusively SPOT.
Possibly because they have a stock of them for hire, and perhaps get bulk pricing on their subscription.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

AlasdairMc wrote:
Taylor wrote:Just got my dreaded email from spot demanding €195 for my yearly subs, just replied and waiting a response.
Will update when I get my reply.
Me too. I've emailed to cancel, so either I'll be offered a rebate or they'll call my bluff and cancel my service. I'm not intending many races this year so may let it lapse instead.
You had a reply yet?
8 hours so far for their 24/7 help team is impressive service, hope the call out response is quicker.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I have been considering what to do when my renewal fees come due and found this Spot rental website.

http://www.spottrackerrental.co.uk

If you only use it a few times a year it should work out cheaper.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

5 days and no reply to the contact email so I made a snarky comment on Twitter and they "reached out" to me within an hour.
All they told me was to call them.
Tried calling them which took 24 minutes before they answered, called their bluff and said I wanted to cancel but as a valued customer they offered €60 off my next bill (next month), which brought it back down to €136 for the year.
Still not cheap but more palatable to keep the wife happy.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Still not cheap but more palatable to keep the wife happy.
Make yer mind up, you tell me you only have it to keep her happy :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Didn't fancy the brinkmanship approach so just emailed them asking for a discount. Got a reply 2 days later saying they would knock E50 of so quite happy with that.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Anyone else get this email?
As we continue to upgrade our network to ensure you the best possible and most reliable service in the industry, this email is to inform you of upcoming changes to the cost of your SPOT service plan(s):

1. A Network Maintenance Fee of EUR 14.99 will be charged to your account upon service renewal.

2. The Basic Service plan that your device(s) are currently on has been discontinued and will be migrated over to our new enhanced Basic Service plan. As such, your current price will increase to EUR 179.99 at the time of your renewal.

3. If you have Extreme Tracking on your account, your new service fee will be EUR 84.99 per year for this service which you will incur upon renewal.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Richard G wrote:Anyone else get this email?
As we continue to upgrade our network to ensure you the best possible and most reliable service in the industry, this email is to inform you of upcoming changes to the cost of your SPOT service plan(s):

1. A Network Maintenance Fee of EUR 14.99 will be charged to your account upon service renewal.

2. The Basic Service plan that your device(s) are currently on has been discontinued and will be migrated over to our new enhanced Basic Service plan. As such, your current price will increase to EUR 179.99 at the time of your renewal.

3. If you have Extreme Tracking on your account, your new service fee will be EUR 84.99 per year for this service which you will incur upon renewal.
That's the same email I got. See a few posts up to get €60 off.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Just picked up a year of SPOT + GEOS for 53 quid. Did any other long-time SPOT users get sent a voucher code a week ago?

Greetz

S.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Scattamah wrote:Just picked up a year of SPOT + GEOS for 53 quid. Did any other long-time SPOT users get sent a voucher code a week ago?

Greetz

S.
nope, nothing to me
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Nope, is it a code that can be passed on???
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Let's find out :)

S3CAFRD4RJ7

Says it's unique...but if you can use it, do it.

Greetz

S.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Richard G wrote:Anyone else get this email?

Yep got it this morning. Just need to find five minutes to tell them I'm cancelling and to delete my card details. I'm intrigued as to the reasons for the massive hike since 2013.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Further to my earlier posts...have any SPOT users here seen or used their on-demand pricing?

"1-3 DAYS $25 FLAT RATE PLUS ANY TAXES
EACH ADDITIONAL DAY: $5 A DAY"

I went the annual as it was the best pricing I've ever had with them, but I did consider the on-demand service.

Greetz

S.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Scattamah wrote:Let's find out :)

S3CAFRD4RJ7

Says it's unique...but if you can use it, do it.

Greetz

S.
Thanks Scott, mine is due soon. Got to be worth a try!
landel

Post by landel »

Scattamah wrote:Further to my earlier posts...have any SPOT users here seen or used their on-demand pricing?

"1-3 DAYS $25 FLAT RATE PLUS ANY TAXES
EACH ADDITIONAL DAY: $5 A DAY"

I went the annual as it was the best pricing I've ever had with them, but I did consider the on-demand service.

Greetz

S.
I recently purchased a SPOT Gen 3, tried to activate it and use the 'On Demand' service for 8 days in May 9. When I tried to activate my device from the On Demand web page it only allows an address in the United States, I live in Ireland. When I try to activate it from the main page I only get the option for a 12 monthly term or yearly subscription, no choice for On Demand activation. I emailed them and this was the response:

'Thank you for contacting SPOT Customer Care.

All the services with SPOT are based on 12 months term applies. To acitvate your SPOT, you can access http://www.findmespot.com choose Activate Now in the upper right corner to create an account.

Thank you,

SPOT'

I'm not sure what the point of the On Demand option is if you need a 12 month service plan anyway :???:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Perhaps that's why I'm getting SPOT spam with excellent deals - my SPOT was purchased and first activated in the US.

Greetz

S.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

I contacted spot last night to cancel my subscription, they offered me a £50 discount.
Currently holding out and negotiating for more.... :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Offering a discount only after you've p1ssed your customers off, really does seem like a strange business model :???:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

does seem like a strange business model :???:
Have you tried cancelling things like Sky tv, Amazon prime, Netflix,any mobile contract, broadband or internet supplier, bank provider, utility supplier etc, etc they're all at it. The model is to gouge loyal customers and play brinkmanship with the ones who threaten to go elsewhere. Loyalty and inertia is very expensive these days.
Now what we need is a tame Yank to buy a load of Spot subscriptions and pass them on to us poor Brits.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you tried cancelling things like Sky tv, Amazon prime, Netflix,any mobile contract, broadband or internet supplier, bank provider, utility supplier etc, etc
No.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Thought not :-bd
We did most of the above when we left the UK, it was very cathartic when they kept saying is there anything they could do to retain our business and we could cheerfully tell them to do one. EON was a very satisfying conversation.