Roswell seat packs

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

38thfoot

Roswell seat packs

Post by 38thfoot »

Hi,

New member itching to go bike packing in the peaks, has anyone any experience of the Roswell 10l seatpacks?

I accept you generally get what you pay for but are these poor quality clones or worth having.

Cheers

benp1

Re: Roswell seat packs

Post by benp1 »

Someone posted on STW about these, they seemed good value.

The 'you get what you pay for' does often come true, but for lots of cheap Chinese stuff it doesn't always work

The other option is the KTM seat pack, quite good and quite cheap, well it was anyway
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

Is that the Aliexpress ones? My friend got one and said the stitching quality was pretty poor, but cheap enough that he didn't feel hard done by. He's since upgraded to Alpamayo luggage but used the Roswheel ones a few times without any major issues.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I bought a Roswell fuel tank and the stitching gave way after a matter of weeks.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Cheap seat pack? Try an Alpkit tapered airlok 13l strapped to the post and saddle. Worked for me for ages.
38thfoot

Post by 38thfoot »

Just seen the KTM ones, has anyone got any personal experience of them.

I've looked at alpkit and am a big fan of them as a company, other option is the Blackburn outpost as I like the removable dry bag design.

Looking at the value end of the market rather than the continent crossing as time is an issue.

rudedog

Post by rudedog »

this one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8L-10L-Cyclin ... 2363179522

16 quid delivered seems pretty cheap.
PJG

Post by PJG »

38thfoot wrote:Just seen the KTM ones, has anyone got any personal experience of them.
Yes, it was my first seat pack. Only lasted a couple of rides before the stitching started to fail on the saddle mount.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Just seen the KTM ones, has anyone got any personal experience of them.
On the other hand, I have one I bought second-hand. Used for a 7 day, 400 mile trip in NZ, mainly trail and gravel, much weather, and I was quite happy with it. It's heavy, but seems pretty rugged. I used the 13l Alpkit tapered dry bag inside, which I've previously used on it's own, which is another solution as someone suggested.
38thfoot

Post by 38thfoot »

I went ahead and purchased one of the £15 Roswell packs and just used it for a YHA based trip with my son.

findings so far:

I rammed it as full as I could and it didn't fall apart straight away.
The closure and fixing straps seem pretty well thought out.
Didn't rain on us so cant vouch for the waterproofness (the picture shows them holding a fish) but the tracks were pretty wet and it received a good splashing from underneath without leaking.
I wasn't doing any serious off road but gave it a kick a few times getting on and off as i'm on the short side and it stayed firmly attached.

Its debatable how often I'm going to get out so I haven't invested in top of the line kit but for a beginner or maybe as a spare to lend someone else so you're not on your own it seems ok.

cheers