Power Meters in Bikepacking

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

Re: Power Meters in Bikepacking

Post by ianfitz »

Scott L wrote:
My girlfriend uses one for her riding and training and finds it useful for hill efforts and the like.
She is 'quite' good though to be fair Scott! Could be argued it's working for her :wink:

(Regularly placing very (very) well in UCI XC races for those that don't know her)
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

I don't think being fast or slow has any bearing on whether you use power, as long as you're committed to improvement. I'm fast-ish enough to podium local XC races/team 24 events etc./ride with the fast local chain gang, but I'm not genuinely fast - compared to 'proper' riders I'm rubbish. And I'm a slow ITT'er in comparison to many (I need sleep!).

But despite not being talented I use power to train on the road (powertap on my winter bike, stages on the summer bike, no power on the mtbs). I find it really useful and fun. I'm a scientist so love the data, you can measure improvement (it doesn't matter whether you're fast or slow, getting stronger is fun), and target weaknesses/identify strengths, and manage your training load. Training to power makes turbo training manageable (and with two young kids and a busy job getting outside is sometimes not possible). I enjoy training and trying to get the most out of myself physically.

That said, since the HT I've been riding purely for fun, doing steep stuff and jumps, and haven't done a decent set of intervals for ages :-bd :lol:

I'd be interested in having a power meter on the mtb - but not sure I could use it to train to as power is often dictated by the terrain. As for using one in an ITT, I think it would be valuable if you knew how to use it in relation to your own physiology, and your major goal was the competition. I'm never going to be competitive, so while I like to turn up to events in decent shape, once I'm there I ride on feel (no HR monitor, no power, no speed/av speed on the GPS, just time of day and distance) and enjoy the experience.

Back to the chaingang tonight though!
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

I use virtual power training on my turbo. I use my turbo quite alot due to time constraints. I find it a huge benefit, sticking to the prescribed workouts.
I had a borrow of a mtb with a stages, and was not particularly impressed. But the terrain I was on did not help. Rough technical riding with a load of short flats inbetween. I had normalisation set at 2 seconds. As a pacing tool it wasn't much use over that terrain.

However if I was to do a road trip or race like I will be next year, or off road but with loads of peddling without loads of technical stuff, I would. And I am.

Even something like the cairngorm loop would benefit a power meter. There really isn't that much technical stuff. And as a pacing tool they are great.

JP used a power meter in 2014 as well on the td. Everyone on the trans continental and IPWR seemed to be using them. Not just the leaders.

Side note. I am not fast....but I am making huge improvements.
Last edited by Justchris on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

ianfitz wrote:
Scott L wrote:
My girlfriend uses one for her riding and training and finds it useful for hill efforts and the like.
She is 'quite' good though to be fair Scott! Could be argued it's working for her :wink:

(Regularly placing very (very) well in UCI XC races for those that don't know her)
Definitely 'quite' good! I used to say I was quicker and she was better.... But she since beat my lap times at an xc race so that's not strictly true... I think I still have her on races over 1.5 hours. (ideally way over)

I can probably provide her numbers if anyone would like to see how they stack up against the ladies u23 world cup xc field....