Staying fresh

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Staying fresh

Post by JohnClimber »

Heading over to Iceland for 6 nights using a 4x4 to get around but wild camping as well as camp sites, but clothing will be limited as will space.
If it can't fit in the bike box or shoulder bag it isn't going, so clothing options will be limited.

So how would you keep your clothes smelling fresh to ensure we are allowed back on the plane to come home.

Do they sell fabreeze in Iceland?

Any other ideas welcome please?
Gari

Re: Staying fresh

Post by Gari »

They definitely have washing machines.....
I usually travel in the same clothes out and back, pack 'em away while in country, shorts, tshirt and some jandles should do it.
psling

Post by psling »

Agree with Gari about travel kit kept separate for return journey (don't often hear the word jandles over here Gari, people look blankly at me when I call them that!). Obviously merino and bamboo are your friend for staying odour free longer. Regular body wash if showers not available, wash kit whenever possible if weather conducive to drying it.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bamboo ... same T shirt for over a week on the T-N last year. Washed it in a stream once but otherwise never really took it off. It was around 30 degrees most days, I had one shower during the week and yet amazingly, I didn't offend anyone on the plane home ... 'tis like material magic.
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Gari wrote:I usually travel in the same clothes out and back, pack 'em away while in country,
Now I like that idea, I could leave them in the bike box :-bd
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I'll probably be wearing most if my clothes to and from to save room!
Tbh I think we'd be fine washing stinky clothes in a gesyer and drying them over some larva!!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Only if you want them to stink of sulphur...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

JohnClimber wrote:
Gari wrote:I usually travel in the same clothes out and back, pack 'em away while in country,
Now I like that idea, I could leave them in the bike box :-bd
Same here.

Clothes don't smell by them self. If you make sure to visit hot pots every now and then it shouldn't be that bad...

Besides such luxuries like hot pots, I just go with the smell. If it's really bad and I eg hitch hike or get on a bus with many others, I wear my rain gear over the smelly. Keeps the worst in.

Odlo synthetic gear stinks soon. Montbell synthetic takes ages 'till it smells. But this may be very individual
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Oi minger..... :lol:

A few baby wipes in a ziploc - they were getting sh1t of my kids for a good few years and some 'dry shower' https://muc-off.com/products/dry-shower ... 3272433159

Should have you in good shape for the Reykjavik night out (if you can pony up for the beer prices!)
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
RIP

Post by RIP »

As Stu. 'If ya don't wanna smell like poo, wear bamboo'. Er, other 'jingles' are available.

R
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Went to Iceland last year wild camping, heading back again shortly.

For two weeks I had two t-shirts and three pairs of socks. :-bd

Wet wipes work a treat.
rando nomad

Post by rando nomad »

+ 1 on leaving travel clothes with the bike box. Even if you've worn them on the way to Iceland, when you put them back on at the end of the trip, they'll feel so fresh. Bring some big zip loc's to put any clothes that seem a bit "ripe" into for the return trip home.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

This won't help much but - I read an account some years ago by a chap who'd crossed the Antarctic on foot. He use what he called the "Antactic washing machine" it worked like this:-
1) Wear the undies until they start to pong a bit then change into a underwear from his pack. The smelly ones go into the pack. 2) Wear the fresh(er) ones until they start to smell then repeat step 1)

Where's my coat :-S
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Following on from the above.
One can use a dry bag for washing.
Clothes, water, liquid soap.
Empty.
Rinse.