Restrap or wildcat?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adventurer

Restrap or wildcat?

Post by Adventurer »

I've already got a wildcat lion harness but I've tried it on my new bike and the straps are too short. Only because I cut them to suit my old bike.

So I'm in need of a new handlebar harness. I might just get another wildcat lion but I've seen the restrap bar bag holster and it looks interesting.

Anyone have any views on the restrap or have used one? Thanks
ctznsmith

Re: Restrap or wildcat?

Post by ctznsmith »

Adventurer wrote:Anyone have any views on the restrap or have used one? Thanks
I have a Restrap prototype that I've been using for almost 3 years. Views, it's solid and does the job.

I've never used a Wildcat Lion so can't compare them, they look pretty similar though. The tongue on the wildcat looks interesting to give more 'wrap' and so you can use a lighterweight drybag. Does the Lion have straps at the bottom to attach it somehow?
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

My wildcat does not have the extra tongue. New ones have it though.
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

I have used a Restrap for quite a while. Got on really well with it as it is, IMO s lot easier to install. Sits below the bars if you use lights on you handlebars and was always solid. The magnetic clips sound like a gimmick but really do work and never let me down.
Ended up moving onto a Revelate bar harness, which I love.
For me it was the speed of installation that swung it as I found the Wildcat s bit of a faff. A lot of people like a bit of faffing, so don't let that put you off.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Artie Fufkin wrote:I have used a Restrap for quite a while. Got on really well with it as it is, IMO s lot easier to install. Sits below the bars if you use lights on you handlebars and was always solid. The magnetic clips sound like a gimmick but really do work and never let me down.
For me it was the speed of installation that swung it as I found the Wildcat s bit of a faff. A lot of people like a bit of faffing, so don't let that put you off.

I was thinking about getting a relevate bar harness but I can't seem to find one anywhere.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I've already got a wildcat lion harness but I've tried it on my new bike and the straps are too short. Only because I cut them to suit my old bike.

So I'm in need of a new handlebar harness.
A fiver says Wildcat can re-strap (sorry Restrap) one of their bags at minimal cost..
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Adventurer wrote:
Artie Fufkin wrote:I have used a Restrap for quite a while. Got on really well with it as it is, IMO s lot easier to install. Sits below the bars if you use lights on you handlebars and was always solid. The magnetic clips sound like a gimmick but really do work and never let me down.

I was thinking about getting a relevate bar harness but I can't seem to find one anywhere.
Drop Andy an email and ask when he's likely to have some more stock arriving?

shop@backcountry.scot
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As if by magic...

An update from Andy on Facebook today saying that new harnesses arrived this morning.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I've been using restart front and rear harnesses for over a year. They are great. totally rigid and very quick to load/unload.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Decided to go with the wildcat handlebar bag in the end.

Got the new one and find the tongue that they added makes it more usable and keeps the drybag a bit more stable.

The only issue I have found with my drop bars over my MTB bars is that putting your hands on the hoods or the top of the bars, your fingers have no room between the bars and the harness.

So I have had to cut some squares of thick foam (gym foam flooring) and put two on each strap to provide a spacer between the harness and the bars. Some harnesses like the relevate designs have these built into the design.

Nice if wildcat could do this as an added option.