Fitting a roll on this??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

techno

Fitting a roll on this??

Post by techno »

I've just fitted these on one OG bars to my bike (really liking them btw, v-comfy hand position) and can't now fit bar mounted dry bag without excessive squashing of cables and hoses. As brake hoses are right in the way, See:

Any bright ideas of how to work around this, bearing in mind that I'm not looking to buy new kit?

Ta.
Steezysix

Re: Fitting a roll on this??

Post by Steezysix »

Depends in what bar roll you have, but get some 30mm PVC pipe and cut a couple of short lengths. These can then be used as spacer to move the wrap away from the bars. Pics of people doing it here: http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/diy-ma ... tand-offs/
jameso

Post by jameso »

Can you get away with rotating levers and shifters up a bit? I found them better positioned on a swept bar when a little flatter rather than angled down, could be just me/the bike though.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

ImageI use a wildcat harness on mine and don't have a problem - even considering my stem is now so short it's almost non existent so I have to mount my GPS on my bars too. . . And I also have the lioness bag mounted over the top of my roll.
Last edited by adjustablewench on Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ootini

Post by ootini »

I have the same bars, but different brakes and gears (Shimano deore xt). I either used the myog strappy bar harness that can be found on my blog link, or my Triglav bar harness which includes blocks/spacers which push it off the bars slightly. Then the hoses and cables just slip between the bar and bag/harness.
techno

Post by techno »

Steezysix wrote:Depends in what bar roll you have, but get some 30mm PVC pipe and cut a couple of short lengths. These can then be used as spacer to move the wrap away from the bars. Pics of people doing it here: http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/diy-ma ... tand-offs/
will try this, thanks.
jameso wrote:Can you get away with rotating levers and shifters up a bit? I found them better positioned on a swept bar when a little flatter rather than angled down, could be just me/the bike though.
not enough to make a difference, i think it's the length of the back half of the lever that is part of the problem.
ootini wrote:I have the same bars, but different brakes and gears (Shimano deore xt). I either used the myog strappy bar harness that can be found on my blog link, or my Triglav bar harness which includes blocks/spacers which push it off the bars slightly. Then the hoses and cables just slip between the bar and bag/harness.
i like the look of the triglav, but am not on facebook so not sure how to buy one if i wanted to. (which i'm, not, as i'm trying to run a BLS policy alongside the TLS). will look at your blog for inspiration. ta.
techno

Post by techno »

adjustablewench wrote:ImageI use a wildcat harness on mine and don't have a problem - even considering my stem is now so short it's almost non existent so I have to mount my GPS on my bars too. . . And I also have the lioness bag mounted over the top of my roll.
lucky you! ;)
My handlebar and control setup means that a roll currently squashes all the cables and thus restricts bar movement. will take a pic with bag mounted in current config when i can.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Are they on one mary bars? I've just bought a set which arrived today. I've not fitted them yet but they look like my blackburn handlebar roll will fit as the bracket provides a bit if clearance.
ootini

Post by ootini »

MikeW wrote:Are they on one mary bars? I've just bought a set which arrived today. I've not fitted them yet but they look like my blackburn handlebar roll will fit as the bracket provides a bit if clearance.
I think they're Ogs. I can confirm that the one benefit of the Blackburn handlebar harness is the clearance provided by the mounting bracket. It pushes everything a good way out and upward. Bit like a wonder bra for bikepacking.
Last edited by ootini on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

My handlebar and control setup means that a roll currently squashes all the cables and thus restricts bar movement. will take a pic with bag mounted in current config when i can.
Ah - so probably not the handlebar or levers themselves that are this issue but the length of your cables. When I had my bike built up the cables were kept fairly generous to prevent that problem.
ootini

Post by ootini »

I've got to do a bit of kit fettling this afternoon, so when I do, I'll pop the Triglav harness on, shove a dry bag in and take some photos from a few angles. See if it provides help or inspiration.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

adjustablewench wrote:
Ah - so probably not the handlebar or levers themselves that are this issue but the length of your cables. When I had my bike built up the cables were kept fairly generous to prevent that problem.

Same here. I've since chopped a couple a little after a couple of rides to get the length perfect. It's a relatively cheap and simple change so worth a bit of experimentation.
techno

Post by techno »

This @39p:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-heavy-c ... of-2/64596
Quick fettle with a file, screwfixed.
Thanks.