What Worked...and What Didn't

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ZeroDarkBivi

What Worked...and What Didn't

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I confess, I am far too obsessed with kit. I should focus on the ride, the landscape, the wildlife, the people and whatever else, but I can't move on until I have satisfied the kit itch. My only therapy is constant refinement, and, hopefully, optimisation, but I realise that never transpires as I get distracted by new concepts/fashions, and start a new bike project that takes forever to complete.

I also get frustrated with reviews published by bike journos, using spanking new kit, they rarely report on how well something works after its had a good thrashing, and, ultimately they know their words have to satisfy an editor acutely aware of the industry money keeping their publication alive. So, they cannot be trusted, as I expect you all realise.

To get started then I will list the stuff I found particularly good and bad from my recent HT550 trip. There are other things I brought not listed, either because they didn't see much use or because their performance was 'adequate, but not noteworthy'.

What Worked:

Mavic Crosride SL Elite – not sure these are still available, but very comfortable both on and off the bike.

Assos iJ.intermediate S7 Windproof L-S Jersey – long sleeves protected from sun and cold, great, secure cargo pockets and a windproof front for keeping the chill off but easily vented with full length zip. Worn over Crikey, how much ‘Right Said Fred’ mesh t-shirt – never took this off.

Assos ¾ length bibshorts – used loads, protects from sun, wind, ticks, etc and not excessively uncomfortable if combined with regular lubing of those bits…!

Jottnar Hymir hardshell smock – this was an ideal balance; light enough to keep the weight and volume down, but a real mountain shell, tough enough to cope with tartan weather. Neoshell provided excellent breathability, which was good as I could use it as a windshell or just a warm layer in the mornings, and keep it on between showers, even when humid.

De Feet Woolie Boolie socks – simply the best! Only used one pair for entire ride (with a dry pair for sleeping) and had not foot problems, even though wet and full of trail debris most of the time.

Petzl e+lite – another great long term performer, perfect for bivi work, or trailside repairs / admin at night.

Neoair Xlite (womans full length) - warm and comfy, but need a proper pillow (just ordered an Exped UL).

Wildcat Cheetah – much preferred having a small bag at the back of the top-tube (for tools, lube, etc) rather than my Gas Tank, which just gets in the way when I dismount in a hurry.

Wildcat Lion – used this on almost all my trips – it just works. Combined with an 8L lightweight Exped drybag, which got a bit damaged during an early crash, but lasted to the end – the UL bag I had considered using would probably have failed from crash damage.

Salsa spearfish (2015 Alu) – A popular choice, for good reason. Copied most of Neil B’s setup (Bar ends, SRAM 1x12, etc), except for the dropper post, which I am considering, even if it means I will have to lose the seat-pack and use a small backpack as I struggled a bit on the techy descents.

What Didn’t Work:

Sleeping System – Not a total fail; it was ultralight and fitted into an 8L drybag, and I ‘got away with it’, however, a down bag in a bivi bag (even the stupidly expensive MLD Cuben Event Soul FKT) is just not great in humid weather and had it been exposed to heavy rain and I was forced to fully zip closed I expect I would have drowned in the condensation! Need to find a good synthetic summer bag, ideally custom made as I don’t want to carry and heat up an extra 20cm of insulation I don’t need! And maybe a tent, for when the forecast is proper bad…

Hydration tablets – these are good, but they very quickly disintegrate through trail vibration and turn into a hard powder within the plastic tube they come in, which is not easy to dispense.

Cuben Fibre stash bags – I had two of these, for my pump/tube/levers (in the frame bag) and for my socks and miscellaneous ‘night routine kit’ in the tiny saddle pack, which was supposed to double up as a waterproof bag to store my shoes in overnight. Both had significant holes worn though them after a couple of days.

Novatec hubs (D771 & D772) – both of these came loose (along the rotation axis, not the spokes) during the event. Managed to tighten them enough to get through, but a bit sub-standard.

It would be great if this thread could be kept alive, in the way 'bargain alert' and 'what the postie delivered', so please add your experiences as you learn what things are keepers and what belong in the trash!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: What Worked...and What Didn't

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Cuben Fibre stash bags
Aside from custard, cuben really has to be the worst material to make a bag from. I do sometimes make the odd one for folk but it's on the understanding that it'll be 90% Gorilla tape within a month :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: I also get frustrated with reviews published by bike journos, using spanking new kit, they rarely report on how well something works after its had a good thrashing, and, ultimately they know their words have to satisfy an editor acutely aware of the industry money keeping their publication alive. So, they cannot be trusted, as I expect you all realise.
Please don't tar us all with the same brush. It's insulting.
Some of us do ride a lot, more than most people who are ever going to buy or use the kit.

If you're going to ride a dropper on the Spearfish (I have on mine for 3 years now) go by a Albert from Porcelain Rocket. They work. And no, my editor didn't tell me to say that.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:
What Didn’t Work:

Hydration tablets – these are good, but they very quickly disintegrate through trail vibration and turn into a hard powder within the plastic tube they come in, which is not easy to dispense
I save up the individualy wrapped free samples that sometimes come on the front of magazines I also bought some bottles off ebay that came with 40 free individualy wrapped ones, although all berry flavour.

These can still get broken up by the shaking but each pack is a serving. More rubbish to pack out but not a big deal to be able to use the tabs.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

GregMay wrote:
Some of us do ride a lot, more than most people who are ever going to buy or use the kit.

I still remember the thread in stw flaming you for daring to say that there were aspects of the Stooge that you didn't like.

People were OUTRAGED!

On the subject of HT550 kit I'll write a post of the stuff I took and left...

Hydration wise I use Elite. It's a super concentrated salt in liquid form. 10 drops in a litre will do it.

Can be purchased here https://eletewater.co.uk/collections/al ... UmCJz54XCQ
Last edited by ianfitz on Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

As you say, something like the HT550 packs a lot of real world usage into a short period of time. While I'd a good idea what would and wouldn't work before I chose any item, it's still got to perform out on the trail.

What worked:

Bearbones short sleeved top (Stu didn't pay me for this!) Wore it for the entire ride so will have smelt a bit by the end. Kept me warm when it was cool but equally I didn't overheat, usually I only needed to unzip about halfway. I paired this up with some arm warmers - much the easiest way to regulate temperature on a bike.

Endura MT500 jacket. I'd struggled using a lightweight waterproof top (also Endura) on previous rides so was prepared to take more weight to ensure that I was able to keep going. The one time I didn't use it when I should have led to me having a short third day as I was really cold on getting to the Oykel Bridge Hotel where I availed myself of their bothy!

Exposure Joystick. There's very little darkness in Scotland during June so you don't need vast amounts of lumens or masses of batteries. I used about 50% of a single charge. On easy ground the lowest setting was enough, I used the middle setting on some of the more technical ground during the final night when I rode through to the finish. At just 90g it can stay on the helmet for the entire time.

Wool socks. I'd tried some synthetic ones earlier in the summer and got cold feet when they got wet. I went with three pairs. They have an advantage that being a bit bulkier they are better at preventing stones and gravel getting into your shoes.

Cotic Solaris. Fully rigid with carbon fibre forks. It's my only MTB apart from a fat bike so pretty much I had to go with it. The only "mechanical" I had was continuous stripping of chain lube when going down Glen Affric meaning I had to reapply the lube several times (see below).

What didn't work:

Assos bib tights. Not sure which model but basically they were too well padded for the hot and humid conditions on day one. I didn't use them after that.

Looking after my feet. Then again from the display in the Real Food Cafe afterwards it looked like I was in good company :oops:

Muc Off chain lube. Simply too light a formulation to cope with riding through puddles of muddy water.

So so:

MSR Trailshot. Worked but it's more my familiarity with it. Perhaps not as quick at filtering as claimed.

Apidura Feed Bags. There's a thread on this elsewhere but they generally worked. Some contents did come out when I'd overfilled one but it may have been my knee knocking the straps loose. Generally don't get in the way

Wildcat Lion. Usually I don't have a problem with this but my dry bag fell out heading down Glen Affric, fortunately I didn't have to retrace my steps too far to recover it. The problem was trying to store the bag and the MT500 jacket and things moved around. It needs straps on the top to be able to store such items.

On its last legs

Shimano MT54 shoes. These are about a year old so have had some use but the toe boxes were completely ruined by the end of the ride and the front part of the sole on both shoes have begun to delaminate. If I'd been out for another day or two they'd been in the bin!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

De Feet Woolie Boolie socks
So true ... if you've read my long-winder post-HT thingy you'll know I bought some slightly bigger shoes to fit these mid-weight socks.
But I wasn't sure enough of the cleats on the new shoes so didn't take.
We can all lament and hypothesise afterwards, but I truly believe that taking these sock could have made my quicker by *some time*.

Totally agree with the comment about crumbling hydration tabs - if there's only one reason to shop at wriggle/crc it's the freebie iso tabs that you save throughout the year to then take on the HT.
MSR Trailshot. Worked but it's more my familiarity with it. Perhaps not as quick at filtering as claimed.
Is this some kind of water filtering device? You filter water in the Highlands???? :o
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Worked
Bike
Me (apart from knees)
Vango helium carbon tent (midge free after 5 minutes of splatting the ones that got in with me).
BB meths stove - took a while but I've really got the hang of this and its ace
DHB aeron shorts
Footwear - Bridgedale merino socks Sealskinz, Shimano XM9's. Hot / warm, dry feet. Nearly went with my MT54's but noticed the soles starting to split so didn't. Reading Bobs post this was a good call.
Paramo quito jacket - hot at times in the rain but mint over the bump in Fisherfield when it got a bit wild. 5 years old and still going strong
Torm merino cycling shirt - warm / cool and not too smelly by the end
Carrying water bladder in framebag
Huge framebag which enabled huge amounts of food to be carried when required
50mg diclophenac pills (just go to your GP and tell them you've done your back in and they'll prescribe them)
Diclophenac gel (voltarol) keeps f*c*ed knees and bunions in order
Eating High 5 hydration tablets instead of fannying around stuffing them into bladder and making it taste forever of cherry etc. (Jenny G likened them to refreshers!) Mine disentegrated in the tube too so just upended the remains into my gub when required
Haribo
Pork pies
crisps
Snickers ((C) Mike Toyn)
Irn-bru
Extreme foods muesli

Didn't work

Knees
Berghaus goretex paclite trousers (I think I'm just going to get paramo ones and live with the weight)
High 5 drinks powders (made me feel ill)
Brain at 2am down the devils staircase
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I also get frustrated with reviews published by bike journos, using spanking new kit, they rarely report on how well something works after its had a good thrashing, and, ultimately they know their words have to satisfy an editor acutely aware of the industry money keeping their publication alive. So, they cannot be trusted, as I expect you all realise.
I'm sure Greg has said it better but the view above seems excessively cynical to me and has become a meme, like the 'marketing' label that gets thrown about whenever someone other than a man in a shed makes sonething. Plenty of the glossies run long term tests of bikes but being realistic, most kit is at least OK these days and takes an age to wear out. You'd get nothing else to write about if you had to keep something until you'd completely wrecked it.

I also trust a journo more than Joe Public as don't need to A) praise something because they haven't got to justify their purchase and B) they get a go on a far wider range of bikes, etc than most of the public do.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I think I've finally got to the point where I was completely happy with the vast majority of my kit, but it's taken a hell of a long time.

What worked:
Bike - Jones Spaceframe Ti. Supremely comfy, and almost no mechanicals through the entire race
Sleep system - PHD Autumn Racebag, Rab Survival Zone, Exped pillow and a Klymit X-Frame short. The pillow is essential these days, I can't believe how long I tried to survive with just a stuff sack of clothes. The sleeping bag is super light at 325g, but I was warm every night other than some wind chill when waking near Morvich.
Endura FS260 bib shorts. Suitable for "long rides" of more than four hours :lol: I found these great. No saddle issues at all, possibly helped out by:
Charlie's Bum Butter
Exposure Diablo - very reliable, great life, bright
Woollie Boolies. As said before, I also took two pairs, and wore one all week. The second pair were for sleeping only, although I treated myself by wearing them when I returned to Tyndrum.
Hi-5 coconut flapjacks. Canyon had a sale so I got 30 for £5, and they're amazing!

What didn't work
Conversion of a dynamo hub to 135mm. Bought from eBay, the spacers and axle to space out the hub to fit the truss fork wasn't the most reliable. The connectors ripped out a few times. I'm going back to batteries.
Tubeless repair anchovies. The repair required was too close to the sidewall so a boot would have been more appropriate. The tyre is going in the bin.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Clothes.

The stand outs are -

RedWhite bibs - spot on. Am sponsored by them but wouldn't wear them if they weren't the comfiest I've ever worn.

Gore One 'shake dry' jacket - expensive, an early birthday present to myself. Hands down the most incredible bit of outdoor kit I've ever had my hands on (and I used to be a kit tester!) light and packs small, but who cares about that. It is continuously waterproof and doesn't wet out. Ever. Incredibly breathable, put it on over damp clothes and they will dry while you ride. Fit is perfect and I wouldn't change anything about it. Looks fragile but interactions with gorse and a little tuck and roll off-the-bike suggest it is much tougher than it looks.

On One merino arm warmers - the cheapest I've ever owned but my favourites! Soft, stay up well, warm not too warm. Go up and down easy. Usually under a fiver in the sale. If they're more than that check back next week.

(You'll like this next one...) R.A.P.H.A insulated brevet gillet in hi-vis yellow - having tried several other warm (ish) layers that never quite worked I am very pleased to have found this. Fit is perfect, it's warm but not too warm, breathability is great. Pricey, for-hipsters but works better than anything else I've tried. Worked great as an outer layer and also under the jacket.

Kit

Quilt - Enlightened Revelation 30f rated, 950 fill power hydrophobic treated down. Seems much more resistant to damp than other untreated down bags and quilts I've used (Phd, cumulus). On paper warmer, and 100g heavier, than was strictly needed but after hammering myself for 22 hours with less than ideal hydration and nutrition I tend to sleep cold. But it can obviously be vented. Part of the best sleep system I've ever used along with...

The HomeMade bivy - Cuban base, waterproof top with 15,000 breathability, sewn in midge net. Roomy enough to get changed in. Just. 275g

Neo air short - used on the first night in the bothy and not at all in the rest of the race. Wouldn't bother next time.

Bike - spearfish (Alu) 1x11 30x10-42 with 35mm carbon rims SON front hub, dt240 rear built by Big Matt at 18 bikes, flawless for 15,000km so far. Jones bars, ergon grips. 120mm Reba forks. Ikon 2.35 Exo front and rear. Revo light.

No mechanicals, it all worked well. Don't feel the need for a dropper on the HT550. There is some techy descents, but not many. The short sections of descents that I pushed wouldn't be made rideable by adding a dropper.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

The HomeMade bivy - Cuban base, waterproof top with 15,000 breathability, sewn in midge net. Roomy enough to get changed in. Just. 275g
The start of the Fitz brand? :o
If I wasn't skint, I'd ask you what the mate's rate price is.
Sounds very good: higher breathability and about half the weight of mine. :-bd
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

padonbike wrote:
The start of the Fitz brand? :o
If I wasn't skint, I'd ask you what the mate's rate price is.
Sounds very good: higher breathability and about half the weight of mine. :-bd
It was made for me by my mum who has worked as a seamstress for many years.

I did talk to her about making more but she is a bit reluctant. Shame as its a great bit of kit!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just a quick detour back onto the journo thing ... I certainly don't consider myself to be a journalist (so am probably much less offended than Greg :wink: ) but I do write lots of things including product reviews. The split between what I'm given to review and what I buy with money from my own pocket, is roughly 40/60. Some stuff I send back and some I'm lucky enough to keep long-term, although I never consider it mine and I've never been paid to write anything. Generally, any product reviews I publish (notice I didn't say write) tend to be more positive than negative which may appear biased but there's a couple of reasons for it:

1/ Negative reviews quite are boring to read. People usually prefer to read about things they might like / possibly think about buying.

2/ All reviews are subjective and opinion based - at times, perhaps even no more than speculation. My opinion is no better or worse than anyone else's, yet something I write could have a real negative effect on a business or product ... I don't have that right.

When I do come across a product that I feel is really lacking, I don't rush to the computer to tell people it's sh!te. I write to the manufacturer, distributor, company or whoever and tell them what I think. It's surprising how many products get altered from this type of feedback.

Anyway ... as you were :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

GregMay wrote:
ZeroDarkBivi wrote: I also get frustrated with reviews published by bike journos, using spanking new kit, they rarely report on how well something works after its had a good thrashing, and, ultimately they know their words have to satisfy an editor acutely aware of the industry money keeping their publication alive. So, they cannot be trusted, as I expect you all realise.

If you're going to ride a dropper on the Spearfish (I have on mine for 3 years now) go by a Albert from Porcelain Rocket. They work. And no, my editor didn't tell me to say that.
Stow that handbag away sailor :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Any "review" is fraught with difficulties. To a greater or lesser extent I agree with many of the comments made so far about them. It's quite easy to be cynical when you see certain manufacturers get "best in test" when the individual reviews would indicate otherwise. (There's one biking magazine that's particularly bad for this.) I'm wary about reviews by sponsored individuals. Back in the 1980s I knew several sponsored climbers and would get regular requests when out on the crag not to take photos as they were using kit from a rival manufacturer! Admittedly not everyone would/will do this. You also have to be careful with "personal" reviews since people aren't going to readily admit to buying something that, at best, isn't suitable or, at worst, is actually a bad product since they don't want to be seen as having made a mistake.

Perhaps as a result of that last point I tend to prevaricate (lots) over purchases as I try to match items to my usage and, more importantly, my weaknesses. After fifty years working/playing in the outdoors I should know what works for me. Hence taking the MT500 jacket rather than a lightweight one on the HT550. Consequently my opinions/reviews are mostly positive as I've filtered out the inappropriate kit before purchasing. As Stuart says, if something's really bad then raising concerns with the manufacturer will be more beneficial. No product is perfect, there's always some compromises that have to be made in order to get something to market at a reasonable price.

Sometimes I'll make a mistake or something else will come along just after I've made a purchase - the MSR Trailshot is a case in point. I'd bought a Sawyer Mini Filter and had only used it a couple of times before the Trailshot appeared. I read Stuart's review and another on one of the American bikepacking sites so thought I'd try it. Did a couple of trial rides with it and it's definitely better than the Sawyer so took that with me round the Highlands despite it being twice the weight.

Long rides put a lot of stress on kit and things become apparent that you just won't discover on shorter rides. I'd fitted Hope brakes to the bike before the HT - this is part of my review on Wiggle (the rest is positive BTW):

"A couple of problems did become apparent during the ride, both relate to the levers. They have a set of holes in the angle where your index finger sits, not sure if they are for grip or to reduce weight but with fingerless gloves after four days on the trail they began to dig into the flesh of my fingers. I don't think the holes would be a problem in use with full fingered gloves and on shorter rides but over time even though the edges of the holes are chamfered they begin to hurt. Even in the wet my fingers weren't slipping off the levers so this "feature" could be omitted.

The other problem is the clamp, it's very angular and sharp edged. While not painful as such, it isn't pleasant to hold the bars in that area on easier ground. Rounding the edges of the clamp and recessing the two bolts would be a big improvement.
"

Basically positive criticism with reasoning and possible solutions.

The acid test of course is: would you take the same kit again?
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

GregMay wrote:
Yep, a sweeping generalisation and bound to have exceptions. My cynicism is based upon subscribing to many magazines over the years (not just cycling), and gradually losing confidence in the reviews, for various reasons. No need to be insulted, in fact I have used your blog as a reference point for kit feedback since you rode the HT440 several years ago. I don't read the mags these days; if their is a publication that isn't dependent upon advertising revenue and can therefore review stuff with total independence that would be good to know. The internet is a great tool for doing the research before handing over money for toys, and there are enough sites I have confidence in to get an aggregate opinion on what might be worth investing in.

There is clearly lots of experience within this forum, so a method for simple feedback on 'what you would take again', definitely has value to me.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Whilst not a HTxxx rider, I've been around the block enough now that I know what works for me and what doesn't. My methodology to getting most of my kit was to spend 2 years prior to TD 2014 (my first ultra) researching what the winners of pre-2014 TD used and what works on a very testing route equipment-wise (and thus, in theory, it should stay true for many, many shorter distance rides afterwards).

What works...

Zpacks gear (Solplex and 0 degree bag) - whilst the Solplex is a faff to put up/take down when compared to my bivvy-loving brethren's sleep-shells, it's always a life saver. The bag has been solid as well. Both are 3 years old and going strong. Excellent pack size and weight on both pieces.
Revelate gear - admittedly, I haven't used the rest, but I've had a good look at many other brands used by numerous other riders. I stick with what I know works. Have had a few breakages, but that's due to wear 'n tear more than a flaw (or wear 'n tear on a flaw).
Thermarest Neoair Xlite - Got this at the same time as the Zpacks stuff. I'm always warm on it irrespective of material underneath.
Sawyer Mini - works a charm if you keep it flushed...small enough to store almost anywhere. I don't mind the break when filtering. 32oz bag a must.
Defeet merino socks - feet don't stink...always comfy. Keep comin' back to 'em.
De Marchi shorts - 10 years, >40K Kms...2 pair. What's not to like about that? Glove-like on me.
Exposure lights - they work and keep on working. Joysticks FTW.
Goretex Oxygen 2 - keeps the wet out. Weight penalty is worth it.
Orca merino knee warmers - I can't find another pair of these. Would purchase again in a heartbeat.
Pearl Izumi Sun Shades / DB Aeron UV shades - both keep the sun off me nicely. Look terrible after a week without a wash but still work.
Giro mitts - don't know the model, but these are the mitts I keep coming back to.
Leatherman Skeletool - upgrade from Freestyle (see below)
Endura Baa Baa shirt - go-to base layer all year round. Not as soft as Vulpine, but dependable.
Planet-X 365 full finger gloves - the first glove that feels good to wear and actually works. Enjoyed winter riding this year with these (for times before the crab claws come out).

What's not worked...

Crank Bro's pump - don't remember the model, but it filled with water and was useless after 48 hours of 2014 TD. Now dried out, only used as indoor topper.
Montane Featherlite Smock - it's not a rain jacket. Don't use it on events with 10 days of back to back rain. Nice wind breaker now.
RAB Flashpoint - it's supposed to be a rain jacket. Yes it's light weight, but it wets out in record time. Slight improvement on the smock above. Good in a shower but that's about it.
Cheap mitts - crap palm support, torn fingers, inadequate sweat/snot removers. Went back to Giro.
Bonty Expert 29.1 tyres - savagely thin sidewalls. Destroyed 2 within 1000 miles. Moved to WTB with mixed results (bastards to seat on Mustang rims but once seated, almost bulletproof).
Leatherman Freestyle - snapped part of the knife retention mech. after 2 years. Switched to Skeletool and hoping for no repeat performances.
E-thirteen chain guide - didn't stop a dropped chain, just made it tougher to get back on. Added weight. Removed.
Extremities running gloves - great whilst they lasted; really kept the wind and biting cold at bay. Wore through the thumbs and index fingers inside of 3 months. Might try 'em again if I see 'em on sale.

If I remember more...I'll edit this post.

[Edit: Out with the Montane Batpack6 due to letting in moisture. In with Ortlieb 4L waistpack - the waterproof main compartment is excellent.]

Greetz

S.
Last edited by Scattamah on Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

tagging thread for updates
Last edited by Asposium on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

What worked for me on HT550:

1. flat pedals, addidas terrex trail SL shoes, woolie boolies * 2. My feet didn't look bad at the end - the shoes were fantastic. I'm ambi-pedalous (equally happy on flats or clips) but I normally ride clipless for bikepacking/racing and flats on the trail bike for fun. On the LL200 I ran flats for the extensive hike a bike sections and really enjoyed it so left them on for the HT550. There are very few (i.e. no) sections of bikepacking races that I'm going flat out, so the advantages of clipless just don't seem to be there for me, especially if you are a running a...

2. dropper post Just for fun, to be honest. I like riding my bike, and I enjoy it more if the bike handles better. And this is meant to be fun, right? :lol: No real need for it, I could always go a bit slower/get off if necessary, but I think I'll even run one for short course XC racing now.

3. cumulus quilt, short neo air did the job.

4. bontrager XR3/XR2 combo great, tough, fast tyres. I did get one puncture descending like an idiot to KLL on the last day as a result of 1 & 2 above :wink:

5. salsa spearfish orange. With offset shock bushes to relax it a bit. Needed to buy a new shock just before the race, but didn't miss a beat.

6. alpkit framebag cheap, solid, good fit.

7. Berghaus vapourlight hypertherm hoody just an incredible super lightweight synthetic jacket. Not too heavy to ride in if you're cold, great in mornings, etc. Will take on every trip from now on. Only cost £50 from sport pursuit too!

so-so:

trekker tent stealth It's a little great tent, but I think I'd go bivi bag next time, and maybe get a bigger tent for when I'm not in a hurry. Maybe I'd regret that, but finding a decent pitching spot is not always easy, and the admin of putting it up and down was a faff and time consuming.
alpkit fuel pod hard to open on the move, tendency to flop, but useful.
osprey escapist comfy but such a heavy bag (over 1kg empty!). Was torn between this and an alpkit gourdon (300g), but comfort won out. I'm looking for a pack that is as comfy as the osprey, but without all the features (loads of zips/compartments that I don't use and add weight) - any suggestions? (I know lots of people don't like packs, but see 1 & 2 above!)
wildcat bar harness I'm pretty sure this is user error, but I find it hard to stop it bouncing. Tried to copy zerodarkbivi's set up with a bit of success, but still can't get it rock solid. Didn't drop anything though so overall fine, and light.
ergon grips still got tingly hands. Not sure if anything would help, maybe a bit more sweep on the bars.

no-no:

sawyer minifilter only tried to use it once on a supply that looked perhaps a little untrustworthy, but life is too short...
hydration tablets in tube :lol: utterly useless after day one.
alpkit stemcell I was using it for a waterbottle, and it ejected it on a couple of occasions (user error, not closing it properly, but...) would go back to bladder on back next time

Pretty pleased with my kit tbh - may go ultralight on the sleep system in future though.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Interesting you use XR3/XR2 for tyres, I went with XR2/XR1. These tend to be my summer combo as the Dales are pretty fast rolling for the most part.

Packs - have you looked at runner's packs like the OMM ones? https://www.theomm.com/products/packs/

I've a Sawyer minifilter but like you say it's more than a little slow. The Trailshot is quicker but not as quick as the marketing blurb would indicate.

Alpkit Fuel pod - does tend to flop but I had it mounted at the top tube/seat post corner and really cinched it down and it wasn't too bad. The problem seems to be that it lacks gripper material on the base. I only used it for stuff I'd need occasionally (like the Trailshot) when I'd be stopped anyway so the opening/closing wasn't a problem.
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

Hi Bob,

I went XR3 as I like a bit of grip on the front on descents and the rolling penalty seems worth it. It's still a pretty fast tyre. I've got my eye out for a lighter pack - the salomon trail 20 looks good... the OMM ones look decent, but are still around 700g.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

On the subject of hydration tablets, I took about 10 individually packaged High5 ones on the HT550 and stowed them in my water bottle. They didn't take up a noticeable amount of space and the water stopped them getting smashed up, plus when I came to need one they were already with the water. I was pleasantly surprised by how well this system worked and will definitely be doing it again :-bd
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

whitestone wrote: Alpkit Fuel pod - does tend to flop but I had it mounted at the top tube/seat post corner and really cinched it down and it wasn't too bad. The problem seems to be that it lacks gripper material on the base. I only used it for stuff I'd need occasionally (like the Trailshot) when I'd be stopped anyway so the opening/closing wasn't a problem.
I use a bit of sticky backed velcro on the underside of the top tube. Stops the velcro strap sliding round and makes it more stable.

edit: I probably didn't come up with that idea, it may have been from someone on here.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Ben98 wrote:On the subject of hydration tablets, I took about 10 individually packaged High5 ones on the HT550 and stowed them in my water bottle. They didn't take up a noticeable amount of space and the water stopped them getting smashed up, plus when I came to need one they were already with the water. I was pleasantly surprised by how well this system worked and will definitely be doing it again :-bd
That is genius, I'm definitely going to try that thanks for the tip :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger