New digs

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

New digs

Post by ootini »

OK, so I've been using a cheap, crap Yellowstone tent for a while now. It's badly built, not very waterproof and wouldn't stand up to a good breeze, but so far I've been a fair-weather bikepacker. Also, on my last trip I managed to melt it a bit with deet: http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 10&t=10149

With all this in mind, I've decided to bite the bullet and buy myself a new bikepacking chateau. Here are my requirements:
Be an actual tent. I hate the idea of bugs n sh*t crawling all over me in the night so a tarp / bivvy option is out. Well out.
Roomy, I'm not in to the nylon coffin effect that some 1 man tent / bivvy-tents provide. The Yellowstone was the 2 man equivalent so just large enough. But I'd like to be able to sit up properly etc.
Double skinned. I know some very light tents are single skin, or semi-double skinned but I've heard horror stories about the amount of condensation that can build up inside. I prefer to stay dry.
The ability to pitch outer only would be nice but not essential.
Small and light-ish. I'd like to get the whole tent /shelter squashed in to my AlpKit tapered 13l dry bag as I can at the moment with the Yellowstone, this saves having to reconfigure all my kit and storage options. Also, if I can keep the weight below 1.5kg that would be good. Obviously even light again is better.
I've got a maximum budget of about £200.

I'm almost set to push the button on a Luxe Minipeak II as it seems to fit all of my requirements, but before I do, thought I'd check with the sage owls on here just in case there's something else I should be looking at. I'd consider a semi-double skinned tent (SMD Deschutes?) I think, as I believe the lower double skinning prevents moisture build up on the ground sheet?

Thanks all.
ScotRoutes

Re: New digs

Post by ScotRoutes »

I was similarly dubious about single skinned tents based on some experience many moons ago. It was the tent walls that would get damp, not the groundsheet.

However my Lunar Solo has only once failed to stay dry inside and that was a beach pitch when everything was damp due to sea mist.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

SMD Deschutes
Is simply a shaped tarp with no base ... a Lunar solo as Colin suggests would be a much better option. However, remember that you'll need room in your budget for a pole and pegs - something which is true of most lightweight shelters.

ULOG have the LE version in stock now, slightly heavier than the 'standard' one but cheaper too: https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... tent-p7600

Tha Alpkit Ordos is nice and light but inner pitch first: https://www.alpkit.com/products/ordos-2

Or perhaps a Wild Country Helm 1. Can be had for less than £140 on-line.

May the bridges you burn light your way
ootini

Post by ootini »

The SMD Lunar Solo does look very nice, as I said, my only concern is the dreaded "condensation build up". Everything I've read suggests that when I wake up I'll need to have brought all of my old SCUBA kit with me. Then again, as I mentioned, I'm a fair-weather bikepacker for the main part, is condensation build up worse during inclement weather, as in when the external temperature is lower?

**EDIT** Just looked at the Pole-a-bear options and have found the SMD lunar. It's listed as a single pole, but can you tell me how many sections it breaks down in to? I'd need to make sure it would fit along my top tube for packing.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ootini wrote:The SMD Lunar Solo does look very nice, as I said, my only concern is the dreaded "condensation build up". Everything I've read suggests that when I wake up I'll need to have brought all of my old SCUBA kit with me. Then again, as I mentioned, I'm a fair-weather bikepacker for the main part, is condensation build up worse during inclement weather, as in when the external temperature is lower?

**EDIT** Just looked at the Pole-a-bear options and have found the SMD lunar. It's listed as a single pole, but can you tell me how many sections it breaks down in to? I'd need to make sure it would fit along my top tube for packing.
It'll be fine, just make sure there is airflow and cook (burn water) outside.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The trick with the Lunar is to pitch it so there's enough air getting under the eaves and therefore through the mesh walls. Snagging the eaves down to the ground (or into long grass) can restrict the airflow. The front beak/porch doesn't reach the ground even when fully lowered so that's less of a problem. IME it's not the temperature that matters, it's the humidity.

I bought the 3-part Easton pole set for my Lunar and it normally lives in my handlebar luggage. However I've tried it along my top tube and it fits just fine. Stu would be able to customise the pole-a-bear lengths.
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Condensation occurs when the temperature of a surface is at or near the dew point which varies with humidity levels. You can get condensation on both sides of a tarp if conditions are right (err wrong!). With any enclosed space like a tent you will have a temperature gradient from yourself across your sleeping bag, then the air in the tent, then across the tent material. If the air inside the tent is humid and its temperature is around the dew point for that level of humidity then you'll get condensation.

The night before the HT550 we were camping at Tyndrum in a double skinned tent (Vango Omega 200) and got pretty bad condensation - the undersides of our sleeping mats were soaking. Conditions were very humid though.

The figure to look for in forecasts or observations is "Relative Humidity", you can't have more than 100%. At 100% the Dew Point temperature is the same as the air temperature then for every 5% drop in RH the Dew Point drops 1C. So if the air temp is 10C and RH = 70% the Dew Point is 10 - (30/5) = 4C. If the RH is 90% then the Dew Point would be 8C.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just looked at the Pole-a-bear options and have found the SMD lunar. It's listed as a single pole, but can you tell me how many sections it breaks down in to? I'd need to make sure it would fit along my top tube for packing.
Five sections as standard so nice and small but a shorter folded length is possible if required.

As Greg, says, it's about airflow and to a lesser degree, site selection. One think that will reduce condensation is sleeping with the door open. Tent dwellers often find this concept difficult to take on but it reduces the chances of condensation forming greatly, while still keeping you dry and bug free.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Cheers for all the information folks.

Anyone have any experience of shoving one of these things in to a seat pack? I'm assuming it should be the same size, if not smaller than my crappy yellowstone, and thus will fit in an AlpKit Tapered Airlok 13?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

To give you an idea about poles ... I've just finished a pole for a Luxe HexPeak. 'Tis a big shelter and requires a pole nearly 140cm long, given its size it also requires a strong pole. My solution fits the design criteria, yet has a folded length of 22cm and weighs 115g.
and thus will fit in an AlpKit Tapered Airlok 13?
You'll be surprised how small a space you can cram it into ... you'd probably fit 2 in 13L :wink:
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:To give you an idea about poles ... I've just finished a pole for a Luxe HexPeak. 'Tis a big shelter and requires a pole nearly 140cm long, given its size it also requires a strong pole. My solution fits the design criteria, yet has a folded length of 22cm and weighs 115g.
and thus will fit in an AlpKit Tapered Airlok 13?
You'll be surprised how small a space you can cram it into ... you'd probably fit 2 in 13L :wink:
Bonza! Thanks for that Stu.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I put poles and pegs in my frame bag. Saves putting a hole in the Airlok when I compress it with my knee. :oops:
One of the things I would add to your spec is ability for free standing with minimum pegs and guys.
My cheap tent (not from Argos - looking at you Taylor :lol: ) has a minimum pitch of two hoop poles and two pegs for the inner as a bug tent.
Adding the outer requires an extra four pegs.
Guys only needed for extremely windy conditions and never used them yet and would say three out of four pitches is inner only.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Mariner wrote:I put poles and pegs in my frame bag. Saves putting a hole in the Airlok when I compress it with my knee. :oops:
One of the things I would add to your spec is ability for free standing with minimum pegs and guys.
My cheap tent (not from Argos - looking at you Taylor :lol: ) has a minimum pitch of two hoop poles and two pegs for the inner as a bug tent.
Adding the outer requires an extra four pegs.
Guys only needed for extremely windy conditions and never used them yet and would say three out of four pitches is inner only.
I was intending to put the pole in my Apidura half frame bag.

My current tent requires a grand total of 14 pegs to get it to stay up........
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've only used it a handful of times, but I've had no problems with condensation in my Lunar Solo.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Whilst I don't have a Solo, I can say for sure that if you get the right tent (mine is single skin), you'll be fine on condensation as a good tent will give you good airflow, and you should be able to get it all in your handlebar bag along with your mat and depending on bag size, maybe a small sleeping bag or jacket. I've resorted to tent/mat/down jacket/beanie up front and sleeping bag in the back - enforces TLS in the saddle bag. Also means I can get the shelter up and get me warm from the front bag, then dump the contents of the saddle bag inside the tent once the mat is inflated. Other methods/strategies are available.

When it comes to morning condensation, I take my trusty Bearbones towel, wipe down the inside of the tent, and with the damp towel, wipe away the eye snot and drool from the night before. Two-fer-one.

Note: the tail of your sleeping bag *might* get damp if you're touching the tent skin, but nothing a few moments in the sun won't fix. If you have to pack up and it's still damp, that's ok too - typically I find that my body heat will dry things out and only the outer material feels damp.

Greetz

S.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Slightly off subject, I sold my Lunar solo earlier in the year as it wasn't big enough for me,
If travelling light I can use bivi/tarp combo. I replaced it with a Eureka Lone Tree 3 ( they bought
Nigor so it's basically a heavier materialed Wickiup 3), just used it for 8 nights in the Iom and
I'm well impressed, can be used as outer only ( 1500g) like a Trailstar etc, that would be a lower
Weight with one of Stu's poles 1150 ish ? I'm using my own pegs (Msr/Alpkit/lightwave) so about
2.5 kg as a full tent. We had some rough storms last week and it shrugged the lot off with only 3 guys
Attached, as a base tent for 2 people it's ace,as a tarp,you'll get your bike under too :-bd
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

If you can get hold of one I have found my Vango Force 10 Helium 200 is excellent and only 1.3kg. I've used it in some pretty poor conditions and it can also be used without the inner. It's not big enough for two adults, but just right for one big bloke and space for his gear.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

+1 for the force 10 helium. Mines got a carbon pole and it weighs 1kg with proper pegs.
For more room and and the ability to deal with some pretty wild weather the Force 10 nitro 200 is a great tent. Not sure of you could get one for £200 (although I did at the end of a season a few years ago) but shouldn't be too much more. My older version is 1.9kg which I'll happily lug about if I want luxury and strength but the new ones come in at 1.5kg. Either will fit in your bar roll.
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =9&t=10139

This is in the Classifieds at the moment.

A great looking thing that I fancy but don't have the dollar for right now.

Can be outer only which is only 600g set up.

Worth a look I reckon.
Stumpym4

Post by Stumpym4 »

Some great tents suggested, as you have already mentioned the luxe minipeak 2 , great tent, 1 pole, good size (have dragged bike in with me before), packs small-ish and not silly expensive, really quick to pitch with the one pole, the inner and outer weigh about 1600g combined, just add poles and pegs etc
whats not to like ?
ootini

Post by ootini »

Ok so I've narrowed it down to the mini peak 2 or lunar solo le.

The lunar solo doubles the price, but halves the weight but also reduces the floor space.

I get the feeling the mini peak 2 might be a bit more flexible in that I can choose to go outer only, or use the nest. The lunar solo has one configuration given it's design. The mini peak 2 looks cavernous, but saying that the lunar solo doesn't exactly look tiny.

Other than the above, I'm struggling to decide. Am I willing to spend another £100 to drop 1kg of overall weight? (very roughly). Id imagine that given it's weight, the lunar solo is probably more fragile than the mini peak 2, but that's me guessing.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Have you looked at Trekkertents? I have the Stealth 1.5
Adding Stu's poles might put it out of your budget though, but it would be a long way under the weight requirement.
http://www.trekkertent.com/home/20-3-season
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I second the Trekker Tent option. I have a Stealth 1 and highly recommend it.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
barney

Post by barney »

Hi Ootini,

I know you're fairly local to me, I've got a Lunar Solo with a pole from Stu. You are welcome to borrow it for a night out to see how it suits you

cheers
Wait for me...
ootini

Post by ootini »

barney wrote:Hi Ootini,

I know you're fairly local to me, I've got a Lunar Solo with a pole from Stu. You are welcome to borrow it for a night out to see how it suits you

cheers
Cheers. Appreciate the offer. How's about an overnighter in the clwyds? I'll show you mine.....