The central belter

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ben98

The central belter

Post by Ben98 »

Anybody planning on being at the mass start for this on September 9th?
http://bikepackingscotland.com/centralbelter
Have to say I'm tempted but knowing nothing about the terrain is putting me off for now.
robbie

Re: The central belter

Post by robbie »

Thinking about giving it a go. Well might start it and see how I get on as not sure I'll have enough days holiday to complete it. It's fairly big ride not sure how many days it will take?
reizkultur

Post by reizkultur »

The provisional route for this is now here:http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=uusnvjhzfftcqxjs

I am looking for another 80km to add, likely to be from Callander to Drymen and along the Loch Lomond shore to Inversnaid, and back over Glen Finglass to Callander, and then continuing on the route as mapped. The section from Dalnaspiddal onwards is an indication, I will ride this bit and make changes very soon. The route now connects Capital Trail, Highland Trail, Cairngorms Loop and Deeside Trail. Once the route is finished it will go public in September after the group start. I reckon for the fastest it will take around 5 days to complete, I am planning on about 8 days myself.

If you would like to be part, here's the link to enter: https://goo.gl/cYjfy7
aid_rob

Post by aid_rob »

Looking forward to the belter, booked in for the mass start, that being said I'm not sure how many people there will be. Don't really know what to expect either, just wait and see I guess.
reizkultur

Post by reizkultur »

Hi everyone, I have just updated the Central Belter section on the Bikepacking Scotland website, the latest route is now online. A few sections might still change, I will be riding the bit from the A9 to Montrose on the weekend, and the route from St Andrews to Lower Largo is provisional as well. With 10 starters at the moment after a few people dropped out it would be great so see a few more.

Here's the link if you'd like to take part. https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-cent ... 5189031340 If you are not willing to use Eventbrite, please drop me an email over the contact form.

The most up-to-date route is here, broken down into smaller sections, the start and finish points have no real significance, they are randomly chosen: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... sp=sharing

To download the GPX this is the best place: https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=uusnvjhzfftcqxjs

And more about the route, including a description is here: http://bikepackingscotland.com/centralbelter/

In terms of terrain, it certainly has less hike a bike than the Highland Trail. If you have ridden the Capital Trail before, the Central Belter is similar in terms of technical sections etc, but there's some occasional gnarly stuff in there, so a gravel bike is not the best choice for the whole route.

Any questions, please get in touch, Thanks Markus

The picture below is the Angus Coastal path, about 970km into the ride.

NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Dang, looks like everyone except Markus has bailed. That is a shame.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Presumably more than the 4 people on the Trackleaders page started?

Evil Weather?

Looking forward to reading Markus' report.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

So did anyone ride this in the end? Thinking of doing the Stirling to Killin section tomorrow after work/Saturday morning, just wondering if there's any decent bivvy spots I should look out for?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Blair512 wrote:So did anyone ride this in the end? Thinking of doing the Stirling to Killin section tomorrow after work/Saturday morning, just wondering if there's any decent bivvy spots I should look out for?

I've bivvied at the top of Glen Ogle, if that's part of the route. Not too far off the road but its not busy at night.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

No sure I'll make it as far as Glen Ogle Colin, I've spent 2 weeks choked with man flu and doing minimal miles so feeling fairly unfit. Hoping to make it to somewhere around Callander for a bivvy, breakfast in Callander and on to Killin to meet Gill and the kids on Saturday morning.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Blair512 wrote:No sure I'll make it as far as Glen Ogle Colin, I've spent 2 weeks choked with man flu and doing minimal miles so feeling fairly unfit. Hoping to make it to somewhere around Callander for a bivvy, breakfast in Callander and on to Killin to meet Gill and the kids on Saturday morning.

Assuming you're on NCN7 all the way then somewhere along Loch Lubnaig would be fine. Once you're past the area with the cabins there are a couple of spots that would be ok. Possibility of dog walkers depending on when you stop of course. The track rises to a T junction at one point and I'd likely stop before that as you're then starting to hit the houses at the Strathyre end (so, between Stank and Laggan). You'll still have some traffic noise from across the loch but it shouldn't be too intrusive.
reizkultur

Post by reizkultur »

I have ridden it all the way. So far the only one I think. It doesn't use NCN 7 all the way, I did a few tweaks, please use the most up-to-date route. The section around Dumyat is great, there's a nice and cheap hostel in Callander. Glen Ample is great riding, but was pretty wet when I cycled it, but there's spots to bivvy there, and no ranger will make it there. After that it uses NCN 7 for a bit, and the bit from Killin is first on a minor road and then on paths, pretty sure there are nice spots there as well.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

reizkultur wrote:I have ridden it all the way. So far the only one I think. It doesn't use NCN 7 all the way, I did a few tweaks, please use the most up-to-date route. The section around Dumyat is great, there's a nice and cheap hostel in Callander. Glen Ample is great riding, but was pretty wet when I cycled it, but there's spots to bivvy there, and no ranger will make it there. After that it uses NCN 7 for a bit, and the bit from Killin is first on a minor road and then on paths, pretty sure there are nice spots there as well.
Thanks Markus, just got home and had a proper look at the route, I'm leaving from Grangemouth straight after work and have to be up at Killin for around Lunch time Saturday. I think I'll follow the route from the Kelpies up to Plean, shortcut to Stirling, skip the climb up Dumyat and stay on Sheriffmuir Road and pick the route back up. Hopefully find somewhere to camp on the side of Drumloist Road, looks like plenty sheep fields to throw the tent up in on google maps! Breakfast in Callander and then onto meet the family at the caravan at Killin for the last time this year. Looking forward to it, I've hardly cycled a mile for weeks!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Definitely avoid Dumyat. It's a bit of a war zone at the moment.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Yeah I've heard they're "Repairing" the path, I'll stay clear of the works. The climb into Glen Ample looks brutal on the route profile :lol:
reizkultur

Post by reizkultur »

Enjoy. Yes, the first section of the climb to Dumyat is a mess, the upper section is fine. But the first part of the descent is brutal in wet conditions, so good choice. Glen Ample is wonderful, it's a steep climb but all ok with gears (: Please let me know what you think once you've done it, really interested in the feedback.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Time and weather have considered against me so I'm pitched up just before Dumblane, early start tomorrow!