advice. synthetic bags.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Justchris

advice. synthetic bags.

Post by Justchris »

I will be doing a trip, and due to the climate a light synthetic bag is probably a better option. Does anyone know how heavy the bag needs to be before you don't need a mat to sleep on. Night temperatures are generally 11-12 degrees.

Thanks.

c
whitestone

Re: advice. synthetic bags.

Post by whitestone »

Justchris wrote:I will be doing a trip, and due to the climate a light synthetic bag is probably a better option. Does anyone know how heavy the bag needs to be before you don't need a mat to sleep on. Night temperatures are generally 11-12 degrees.

Thanks.

c
Once you start getting to those sorts of temperatures you'd be better off with the mat and something like a silk liner rather than a bag. Then again I'm getting soft in my old age so have started to need some padding beneath me :oops:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I recently got a Mountain Hardwear Hyperlamina Spark. 860g and no problem at all down to +5 or a bit less, but I would still always use a light inflatable pad, for comfort as well as insulation.
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

Any bag that thick is going to be ridiculously warm as well as huge and heavy. Where are you going? Would a lighweight hammock be an option if you don't want a mat?
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Its actually Ireland next month and then something a bit longer the year after, in the summer as well. I have various down bags, that I use a klimit xframe with. But sometimes if I am sleeping on grass I don't bother with the mat and I sleep ok, using my bivi as protection from the ground.
What I am looking to try and find out is how low in weight or rating people can go before sleeping on grass is a problem.

Thanks

C
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've slept without a mat - when I was younger and the choice wasn't as great. I'd always now prefer a mat and a thinner sleeping bag as the overall weight/bulk would be similar. A quilt would be another option of course. Are there synthetic quilts?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Went to Ireland in August several years ago, used a Mountain Hardware lamina 45 with a thin mat. Was just on the right side of being warm (was wet and cold though for the week I was there!)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

What you need to consider is ground temperature rather than air temperature. The ground heats up much slower than air so 10C air temp in early May might still mean a ground temp of 3-4C whereas in October you might have 10C as the ground has warmed up over summer. Sleeping without a mat in those two circumstances would be very different. Location will have an effect as well - certainly don't sleep in hollows, even if there's no actual frost they'll be much cooler.

Consider your sleeping bag (or quilt) and sleeping mat as a system rather than separate parts. The mat is your first line of defence against the cold, bivy bag deals with draughts, finally look at the sleeping bag to retain warmth. Modern inflatable mats like the Exped range and the NeoAirs are light, pack down small and have decent R-values so unless you were racing I can't think of many arguments not to take one. The Klymit X-frame mats are OK for summer to early autumn but since they have no insulation, they are for comfort only really.

Colin: Enlightened Equipment do synthetic versions of a couple of models https://enlightenedequipment.com/revelation-apex/, I've not seen any others but I suppose quilts are a bit of a niche market in the first place.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Cheers Bob. It makes sense for there to be an option - on ethical grounds. :grin:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Haglofs make a very lightweight synthetic bag. Think it's rated to 12c, weighs in at under 350g.

I've got one that I use with a quilt for winter outings.

Packs down very small too
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

OMM Raid.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

GregMay wrote:OMM Raid.
I second this, great bag and tiny.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

GregMay wrote:OMM Raid.
How cold can they realistically be used at? I notice that OMM don't publish figures
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

MLD do a light synthetic quilt, and Nordisk also have a range of light synthetic bags (Oscar +10 looks interesting at a claimed 330g, and might match well with a down liner from PHD, for a 2 season damp weather solution). OMM raid bags look interesting but the lack of testing put me off. Still wouldn't be without my full length Neoair; for a bit over 300g it is a winner. Had a cold bivi in Spain just before Easter, even though day air temps where 25C, the ground on the north slopes was still cold, and my feet did not appreciate the 3/4 length pad!

I now need to sort out a decent light pillow as I have a bad back/neck that gets too painful to sleep unless properly supported - any recommends?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: I now need to sort out a decent light pillow as I have a bad back/neck that gets too painful to sleep unless properly supported - any recommends?
Exped UL. I took one on the TDR, it was used every night.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I know there are many factors to consider such as do you sleep hot / cold and are you well fed, etc. However, I really don't think any synthetic bag weighing less than 500g is going to keep you 'that' warm even at +10 ... and especially without a mat beneath you.

Kit selection is always a compromise but when it comes to sleeping kit, the compromise you choose shouldn't be being cold :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Much to ponder. Thanks guys.

C
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you seen the Cumulus 'Dynamic' Chris?

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categ ... =120&vid=6

500g and a stated 8 degree comfort rating.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: I now need to sort out a decent light pillow as I have a bad back/neck that gets too painful to sleep unless properly supported - any recommends?
Z-Packs Pillow Dry Bag- It's brilliant! :ugeek:

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/dry_bags.shtml
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Have you seen the Cumulus 'Dynamic' Chris?

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categ ... =120&vid=6

500g and a stated 8 degree comfort rating.
That looks pretty good. And it's a smidge larger than the OOM raid.

Thanks.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

There is always hydrophobic down as well; some impressive videos of it online, but equally reports of it wetting out when stressed. Interesting that both PHD and Arc'teryx are amongst the manufacturers who have not adopted this.

What you wear inside the bag will make a big difference too, and with a hoodless design (like most quilts) you might want to consider an insulated balaclava, which will weigh much the same as a beanie, but be much warmer; Z-Packs make a down version that is highly rated and Enlightened offer a synthetic version. I would love to see somebody offer a hooded down vest, for wearing when sleeping as this would offer a lot of advantages, especially with a quilt.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I would love to see somebody offer a hooded down vest
I'm sure PHD have done them in the past.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Also check Karrimor or uniqlo.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Regatta do one and if you don't mind orange, there's much cheapness to be had.

https://www.regattaoutlet.co.uk/summits ... oCq0vw_wcB

MEGA EDIT ... and less than a tenner if you're not offended by bright yellow :-bd
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

That's an amazing deal Stu