Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

DoctorRad

Re: The 2nd Torino-Nice Rally

Post by DoctorRad »

DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Also, if you're heading down the Roya valley, just after the point where the route heads west up towards Col Turini, there's a lovely little bathing pool to cool off in, with some spectacular limestone formations upstream: https://goo.gl/maps/yRjentC1Vht
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

Hello all,

I'm due to begin a Masters at uni so I have to be ready in Edinburgh by the 11th so it is too close to do the Rally grande depart, however I think I will be riding the route starting on the 1st of September. I have no real timings plan other than a flight home from Nice on the 8th.

Keen to liase with any other riders in the same boat or who may be in Turin when I am.

Scott
jameso

Post by jameso »

Hi Scott, pretty sure Roland L on the torino nice rally rider's page on FB is setting off early, you could have a look there for his posts and for others?
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

jameso wrote:Hi Scott, pretty sure Roland L on the torino nice rally rider's page on FB is setting off early, you could have a look there for his posts and for others?
Thanks James found the group
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

jameso wrote:That's a great section, agreed. You could also ride that amazing double-back bend in the track a couple of km beyond the refuge and take the cut-off route a little further on - some of the Via del Sale's good stuff and a fair bit shorter overall.
Thanks, James. Been away but one of the first things I did now I'm back was to overlay the new gpx files on my maps to see the cut-off. I'd seen that very track on my map last year and wondered if it was rideable, and now I know it is! As you say, still includes the best bits of the VdS but cuts a healthy chunk of the most eastern bit out. I likey :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

It's a 'chunky' descent on a CX bike but it does work in the general theme of 'beyond gravel' : )
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

jameso wrote:It's a 'chunky' descent on a CX bike but it does work in the general theme of 'beyond gravel' : )
"beyond gravel" :grin:
jodyaufraedern

Post by jodyaufraedern »

Hi all
Just doing some very last minute planning for this ride. I had planned to carry a light tent and sleeping gear. Wondering if others are planning to camp. Thought I may end up lugging extra weight when there are are easy and/ or cheapish accom options along the way. Thoughts?? Thanks
Jody
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Myself and Chew just used bivvy bags last year ... except the one night when we stayed in a hotel but that was out of spite.
May the bridges you burn light your way
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

Mrs CT and I carried a tent between us and used it most of the time. We're doing the same this year.

There's definitely plenty of accommodation along the way so you don't strictly need to carry. However, your definition of cheap may vary and on in a couple of places your options will be slightly limited.

Although we probably won't stay there this year, the refugio on the Strada Assietta was pretty wonderful for the views, night skies and early morning roll down to Sestriere. The one place I absolutely intend to camp again is the Mercantour Forest between Fontan and the Col Turini. It's a bit of a slog to get up there but once you get above a certain level there's quite a few nice little spots to put down and it's beautifully peaceful. Wild camping is legal in the forest but your last supplies will be in Fontan so don't head up there without making sure you have food on board if you're planning on stopping the night. Handily, the remaining distance to Nice is a nice day's ride.
jodyaufraedern

Post by jodyaufraedern »

Thanks I think I'll pack the tent!
Physiobikefit

Post by Physiobikefit »

Hi All,
I'll be there on the 4th at the restaurant....Where are folks staying in Turin? Anyone driving back up to Geneva area afterwards by any chance? (I live in Chamonix)
Weather getting a bit chilly at night now, especially after a clear day.
Looking forward to seeing everyone next week.
Scott CORNISH BSc MCSP
Physiotherapist, sports masseur and Physiobikefit
French and German speaker
Endurance race Editor for UKXCNews.com
Twitter: physio_scott
Tel: 0044 (0)7960 17 24 62
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

im staying at the b&b central station monday night
monskton

Post by monskton »

Hi all,
Anyone starting from the 2nd point (closed to airport), Piazza San Rocco in SAN MAURIZIO CANAVESE.
I will probably be there around 9- 9:30.
salut i pedals!
Mugsys_m8

Post by Mugsys_m8 »

Hello.I have made 2 google maps of the route I think they contain all the GPX routes...Feel free to share. Have a great ride everybody. Won't be there mysefl but Béné will be on her green Ogre.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TLhO4 ... eyE5jI43Tw

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LdcGa ... gYcG5ERhsA
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

For anyone taking the early flight out of Gatwick on Monday and looking for a cheeky airport bivvy spot, head over to the north terminal and into the car rental building. All of the receptions close at a reasonable hour and its fairly quiet apart from the occaisional person walking through to drop keys off out of hours. No annoying airport PA system every ten minutes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Did I hear right that some of the cols have snow on this year? I think we may just have been a little bit lucky last year :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

Which ones Stuart? Can't see there being any at 2500 but there was a cold snap a few days ago, was around 8-9 deg in the eve in N Italy on the way to Turin.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not sure James, I just saw a post somewhere on FB that mentioned snow of some of the Italian cols ... I'll try and find it.
gairym

Post by gairym »

We've had snow down to 2000m this last week here but it went within a day or so and was only a few inches so would make for cold, wet feet but nothing major.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I just saw a post somewhere on FB that mentioned snow of some of the Italian cols ... I'll try and find it.
Sorry, no luck ... how does anyone navigate that place? Such a bewildering amount of crap.

Anyway, if there is snow then I'm sure you'll have found it by now :-bd
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Cyril posted on his Inst story earlier from the Col D'Assietta - No snow.
monskton

Post by monskton »

I just wanted to thanks James for such an amazing route. It was tough, very tough and I had to take all shortcuts posible to be on saturday in nice... but landscapes and fellows along the way were so damned rewarding!!

Thanks to everyone!

Xavi
salut i pedals!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Shona's done a piece and strangely, I can't see much swearing in it :???:

http://stufffromtheoutside.blogspot.co.uk/