The 2nd Torino-Nice Rally

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

The 2nd Torino-Nice Rally

Post by jameso »

I'll sneak this on while everyone's over on the HT550 thread / trackleaders...

The 2nd Torino-Nice Rally thread.

Image Image Image Image

Info still here - http://torino-nice.weebly.com/ - because I've not yet got round to moving it to that fancy domain I bought for £20.

It's an open event, just sign up here http://torino-nice.weebly.com/contact.html for info and copies of the last 2 mail-outs. 3rd mail-out with route info due in July. Route's very similar to last year, no major changes, just some tweaks based on last year's experience and feedback in the other TNR thread.

Now back to cheering Ian F to hold onto 3rd!
Richard G

Re: The 2nd Torino-Nice Rally

Post by Richard G »

Am very tempted. Likely to be a last minute decision though.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I'm in for this year, probably riding at a social pace with Bryan Dawson. Need to get some flights booked!
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Will be good to see you out there, Ian.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for weather as good as last year.

Greetz

S.
Crazy English

Post by Crazy English »

going to miss it this year :cry:
i have a new son though :-bd

Really enjoyed it last year, brilliant route and good company.

Have fun everyone who is going.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Assuming I didn't have to kill myself, pace wise (I don't mind pushing on, but don't want to run it at race pace)... is it likely I could get this finished by the 12th?

Missus would literally castrate me if I didn't make it back for her birthday..
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Given good weather conditions, not a problem. Could be interesting if there's a bit of snow and ice down though. I finished on the 11th last year but had planned on finishing on the 12th.

Greetz

S.
jamesatthelodge

Post by jamesatthelodge »

from what iv read and the pics iv seen im really looking forward to being there. im taking the train . euro star and tgv to turin. im booked in at the tomato hostel . time wise, 7days ish just going to enjoy every momment.
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

Hoping to make it out for the second edition, just need to sort out my other riding plans for July.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Just been running some numbers / details on this and going entirely by train definitely doesn't work for me. Sadly way too long to get there, I'd be much better off working a few more hours and buying bike boxes just to dispose of.

Looks like my best bets would be Cardiff to Milan (Flight), then Milan to Turin (Train). Coming back, Nice to Heathrow (Flight) then Heathrow to Cardiff (Train).
jameso

Post by jameso »

buying bike boxes just to dispose of.
Fly out with cardboard bike box then skip it at airport, after the ride just pick up a new one at a shop in Nice (or the cheap boxes the airport sells), done. Worked OK for me and others I've travelled with last 4 trips out of Nice.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The ride from Milan to Turin makes a nice warm up :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

jameso wrote:
buying bike boxes just to dispose of.
Fly out with cardboard bike box then skip it at airport, after the ride just pick up a new one at a shop in Nice (or the cheap boxes the airport sells), done. Worked OK for me and others I've travelled with last 4 trips out of Nice.
Yeah, that was basically the plan. Other option I considered was taking my decent bike bag and shipping it to Nice airport for me to collect when I'm done.
Bearbonesnorm wrote:The ride from Milan to Turin makes a nice warm up :wink:
You know, I actually considered it... but I figured probably enough miles in the days after that. :lol:
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

For those thinking of flying with boxes, I'm going to see if one of the Turin airport parking services will offer us a package.

We used them last year and they were really friendly and seem to work as a short-term storage space for other stuff too. They're also handily located on the edge of the small town near the airport which makes for an easy ride into the city.

I'll be asking if they will collect from the airport with a bike box, store the box for up to two weeks and then take us back with boxes afterwards and at what cost. That makes for an easier bit of travel, especially if you would prefer to travel with a hard case or similar.

I'll let you know what the response is.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You know, I actually considered it... but I figured probably enough miles in the days after that. :lol:
Worked nicely for Chew and me. Added to carrying our CTC bike bags as tarps, we were completely self sufficient ... takes a lot of the stress out of travelling.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

For those thinking of flying with boxes, I'm going to see if one of the Turin airport parking services will offer us a package.
Good call, thanks. There's a luggage transfer company in Nice, I grabbed their details last year, they may be able to offer a rate to compare - will ask (if I can find those details now..)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Looking at alternate options back... anyone know if the trains between Nice and Milan might allow bikes? (ones that aren't boxed)
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Last year, I flew into Turin and out of Nice. Was very little difference in price on a Turin round trip ticket and the 2 x singles.

Greetz

S.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Was more for if I wanted to bring my decent bike bag and leave it at Milan.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Not sure about unboxed bikes Richard but there's some info about trains from/to Milan on the updates page of the tnr site, last update. Neal H suggested calling trenitalia, the train operator, to book the bike and said they were helpful. Some links in that post.
I've got away with wheels off and ziptied to bike with bin bags covering it all on local French trains before, fwiw.
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

Molini Pool or bust this year!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

What's that?
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

It's an optional extension to the Via del Sale section. No-one made it last year (and, as far as I know, only a handful of us rode the Via del Sale rather than take the shortcut down from Tende - pity as it was one of the highlights for me).

The pool itself - Lago dei Noci I think it is - is a small natural lake, popular with locals but way off the tourist track. The village of Molini di Triora it's in looks incredibly beautiful too.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

SixPotBelly wrote:Molini Pool or bust this year!
Amen to that. As much as I want to do the switchbacks off Tende again, this year is about doing the stuff I missed last year.

Greetz

S.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

so this is my plan have 12 days vacation,stay in turin night before the start,leave my bike bag at hotel,ride to nice.
ride back to turin along the country roads is this possible.
anyone know a good hotel to stay in turin