ITT Protocol

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic pusher

ITT Protocol

Post by Jurassic pusher »

I`ve downloaded a route which I intend to ride as an ITT, for my completion (hopefully ) time to be registered is it the done thing to inform the route/ course planner before attempting it? I don`t have a smart phone so if I complete, I can only give a photo of my gps screen and my sworn truth.
The tme I would take definitely wont break any records!
voodoo_simon

Re: ITT Protocol

Post by voodoo_simon »

Won't the GPS data be sufficient evidence?
slarge

Post by slarge »

They are generally trust based, and the only person being deceived by a lie is oneself. It is completely up to you whether you tell the ITT organiser first, no one will get upset either way, and you might decide to not say anything in case you abandon plans at the last minute or something like that.

The most important thing is that you get on your bike, and enjoy the route.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

voodoo_simon wrote:Won't the GPS data be sufficient evidence?
I hope it would be enough, just wasn`t sure. :oops:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

It could theoretically be faked, but it would be a monumental effort to do it in a way that would withstand scrutiny.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Richard G wrote:It could theoretically be faked, but it would be a monumental effort to do it in a way that would withstand scrutiny.
Scrutiny! I've noticed several bad tracks over the years on various races/ITTs. I even told the organiser about one recently on a certain150 mile route. He did nothing about it and recorded a completion anyway, the rider in question had taken last years route for one section, but followed all of the new stuff for this years the rest of the time. He easily saved himself 20 minutes and on strava flybys, jumped a position in the completions.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

In a similar vein, I've noticed people missing from far too many Strava segments on some ITTs I've done in the past. I know it can happen for a number of reasons, but there were way too many missing for it to be anything other than suspicious.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard - I assume in those instances they appear on other Strava segments on that day? I.e. there's just a couple of bits that are missing.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, they were obviously on the route at points, though not on all of the route. I didn't bother looking in too much detail to be honest, but they had obviously chosen certain particularly nasty bits to skip.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Richard G wrote: I've noticed people missing from far too many Strava segments on some ITTs I've done in the past. I know it can happen for a number of reasons,
There is that checkbox to removes yourself from segment leaderboard thingies - for example I did it on a roadtrip I did in the car to not get any undue attention :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That only works for the whole ride though. They were present on segments for other parts of the same ride... unless they did those parts of the ride twice in the same day, which would be very impressive.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Go astray just a few meters on a segment and you're not on it any more. Don't know how big the error can be until you're not on it any more, but it's not that much.

Pedelecs, climbs on roads with road vs. mountain bikes. Blahblahblah. No bother...
slarge

Post by slarge »

If your ride is long enough then Strava seems to reduce the number of points. I did a version of a WC2C and caned it up a hill to try to steal one of Mr B's KOMs, but Strava didn't recognise it as it reduced the waypoints so it looked like I took a shortcut.

Going to have to go back and do it again.....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've been out for a road ride with my wife, got back and uploaded our rides to find she's logged times across some segments and I haven't yet we were riding side by side!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, this was a lot of segments. As I said, I've seen the random errors, this wasn't what was going on. I do tend to upload my rides split by night, so I don't worry about any sort of shortening. Never seen it on exports anyway. 1 point per second in seems to stay as 1 point per second out (I use Tapirik to archive all my rides locally).

Anyway. As for the being slightly off thing, there's a cool tool for that: http://strava-tools.raceshape.com/snap/ (Not currently loading, basically it massages your GPS trace back to where it should be)

Edit - Oh that's a shame, it's no longer available.

Edit 2 - I just went back and looked at that particular route I was thinking of. They were on nearby roads in places. "Honest mistake", clearly. :???: