Accessory Mounts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Accessory Mounts

Post by Richard G »

Can anyone point me in the direction of some reasonably strong / still fairly light accessory mounts?

For the second time I managed to destroy one of them this weekend and I've come to the impression that the roadie style ones I've been buying just can't handle an Exposure Maxx D's weight whilst being smashed down rocky descents.

I know I could probably build one, but I'm time poor, so hopefully someone can point me in the direction of a semi decent one to buy. Cheers!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Accessory Mounts

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Might not be what you're after but the Paul's top-cap mount is nigh on unbreakable - had mine years.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That's where my Garmin lives, so it wouldn't be of much use sadly.

This is more what I'm after, but with thicker metal:

(Unsurprisingly they break around the screws)

I've found this which looks a bit more chunky:

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Would you be better with a plastic one?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

It's entirely possible. I'd expect it to withstand the vibration better.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I've been through many mounts over time. Finally I’ve got a solution I’m happy with, and hang my lights (Maxx-D) and front luggage mount off it without problem.
Thing is, I can’t find the blighters online right now (should be working!). They’re not the lightest around, but I don’t think they’re silly heavy. Will try and dig it out later.

Norm – I tried a few plastic ones too – they were crap! Failure mode was better (larger plastic range on the stress/strain curve) compared to the brittle fracture of the metal (typically alu) ones.
jameso

Post by jameso »

?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Not a chance in hell. :lol:
jameso

Post by jameso »

:lol:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

This then? It's hideous, I know, but it;s actually a very nice wide, flattish handlebar onto which someone has very thoughtfully welded a big old loop. Ive had it on my 29er for over a year and it will very soon move over to my Fatty.

I'm just going outside ...
Ian

Post by Ian »

Buy two of that black one in your earlier post, Richard, and mount the clamps either side of the stem with the accessory bar between. Totally bomb proof.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'd rather spend the time and fabricate something myself than use any variation of loop bars. Knowing my riding I'd end up putting my arm through it in a crash and end up tearing it clean off at the shoulder.
Ian wrote:Buy two of that black one in your earlier post, Richard, and mount the clamps either side of the stem with the accessory bar between. Totally bomb proof.
Yeah, that's my current plan. Looks a good amount tougher than the red version which is seriously lacking metal at the bolt hole.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I use a cheapo one from china, metal brackets with a plastic bar, one either side of the stem, so far so good. I have the same set up on my commuter bike for my GPS if I want to go somewhere new

But the light I mount is head unit only, battery pack goes in the top tube pack, so much lighter for the mount than a maxx d
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Four reflector mounts scrounged from your friendly LBS and a section of handlebar (or in my case a bit of packaging used for TT clip-ons)

ImageDSC_0150 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

If you zoom in on this photo: https://flic.kr/p/RVakwv you can see how much more my clamps weigh :oops:

Any clamps which have a rotating pin and then you do up the bolt - I find the rotating pin (or rather the material of the clamp around it) is the failure point (stress fractures normally).

I've found a couple of clamps which look like they're pretty much like mine. Note no rotating pin at the handlebar side of things, but instead two bolts you have to nip up.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371614252632

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm//361980521110

I use two and whack some alu tube down the centre. This is the setup I'm happiest with thus far, despite the extra weight over the multitude of clamps I've tried before. I hang my front luggage off it + maxx-d.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Cheers.

I actually tried the reflector thing. Couldn't hold up to the weight of the Maxx D over time.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Nitto make an accessory bar, not used one but I'd expect it's more durable than the mr control versions or other china/tw made options.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

On One PX have Nitto mounts in stock atm. 2 types but only 1 in oversize bar size.
No need to thank me. No really..
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

So I took two of those "West Biking" mounts (one either side of the carbon post) on the YD300 and they seemed to hold up pretty well.

I'd like a slightly longer bit of carbon though as I could only barely get the mount around the thicker part of my handlebars.