sore bum

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: sore bum

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote:How many use rear mudguards? I had very little dirt thrown at me on the JennRide. Granted it wasn't particularly muddy but there was quite a bit of surface water and my bike did need a good clean afterwards.
Good call - the best seat / short combination will be hell when full of granite dust sprayed up from the back wheel. Mudhuggers survive the raddest riding!
jameso

Post by jameso »

How many use rear mudguards?
I do - pretty much std kit for a multi-dayer unless I feel daft/confident in the weather. Modified cruds on the MTB or full proper guards on road / easy dirt rides.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ever spoke to the development dept. of any brands or is it a guess?
Some go further :wink:
More the manufacturers of the pads than the brands themselves though I'm not claiming to be a clothing materials expert. No doubt that clothing designers use kit as extensively as bike or component designers, still, riding a week plus of 12-16hr days in one pair is probably rare. Padded shorts just aren't for me, for reasons that no amount of tech is likely to overcome. I've ridden in upper-end shorts but not the £150-200 jobs. If it takes that sort of money to make a difference something's not right imo. (yeah, my butt .. before someone else says it :grin: )

I just believe that you can be totally comfy on a bike with or without padded shorts. I don't agree with is this idea that they're needed, like a cyclist's rite of passage is buying lycra shorts. Finding a good saddle is important though.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's also worth saying that there are differences between pads made for road riding and pads made for mountain biking (or there should be). We tend to sit on the bikes a bit differently so the padding should reflect this.

I'm a keen mudguard fan but I find a rear one pretty much un-necessary when using a large saddlebag.
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

Brooks B17. Imperial. Just sayin'.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Alpinum wrote:[
How about TD veterans? Any one layered TD veteran around? Sand and salt..? Chamois cream with out the chamois?
Had previously used DHB Aeron for BB20/24hr events, no problems.

On TD:

3 days straight on TD in R-apha Brevet shorts, no problems. Using chamois cream before riding off and baby wipes at day's end. Then changed into DHB clean shorts, first day OK but on second day couldn't sit down after 80 miles, last 60 miles was torture. Changed back into Brevet shorts and used them for remainder of the ride, no further issues.

Worth every penny to me. :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

johnnystorm wrote:
Alpinum wrote:[
How about TD veterans? Any one layered TD veteran around? Sand and salt..? Chamois cream with out the chamois?
Had previously used DHB Aeron for BB20/24hr events, no problems.

On TD:

3 days straight on TD in R-apha Brevet shorts, no problems. Using chamois cream before riding off and baby wipes at day's end. Then changed into DHB clean shorts, first day OK but on second day couldn't sit down after 80 miles, last 60 miles was torture. Changed back into Brevet shorts and used them for remainder of the ride, no further issues.

Worth every penny to me. :-bd
Sorry I meant one layer in the type of baggy pants. But I must be off thinking of baggies here... shorts sans padding are baggies to me... well, that kind of makes further discussion with me obsolete.

But the inputs are good here. As said before, I can do what I want with Assos pants (mostly very lightweight baggies over them) and Assos cream and stay safe. But I do like steep mountains and biking from them too. Hardly any time sat on the saddle in this case, carrying bike up and riding it down on steep stuff. Will give a trisuit a try, for really long days in this fashion still hurt sans chamois and Assos are so so comfy for riding in, less so to walk in. Trisuits may just be perfect.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Alpinum, re the TD point, the TD on good (up to that point) padded shorts was the start of the end for padded shorts for me. I can't blame the shorts fully, I rode it like a rookie / an idiot and got what was coming, but hand on heart if I did it again it'd be in the same manner but in boxers and touring shorts. Would probably be equally uncomfy eventually, just might hold off the real discomfort a few more days.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Both attempts at TD for me was in De Marchi padded road shorts. No mudguards. First time, I had saddle sores the size of 50p pieces both sides from the wet and grit. Triple antibiotic ointment was liberally applied morning and night. Once the weather dried up, so did the sores. Second attempt it was dry and I had nary a pimple on both cheeks. Same tube of ointment was in service at the time and used in the same fashion.

I still don't use mudguards. I don't care if it looks like I crapped myself.

Greetz

S.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Dyffers wrote:Apologies if it's been mentioned already (this thread is already a bit TL:DR) but Conotrane bed sore cream is what you need. Convenient 100ml tube, £1.20 ish from Boots, designed to prevent / ease pressure sores. Apply 'liberally' before a day ride, and whenever else it's funny to be seen with your hand down your shorts in public.
looking on google for conotrane cream; seems to be prescription only. :o
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

Interesting breakfast reading :grin: I've always worn just light baggies for shorter mtb rides, longer rides with padded bibs under, or even just the bibs, automatically really.

On a road type bike just baggies don't work for me. Rode TNR with padded bibs, admittedly with no comfort or sore problems. (Castelli). But so hot and clammy. I've always disliked the bulk of padded bibs and with a 10-day road tour coming up I've ordered a couple pairs of the Air light boxers from BAM to test under baggies. An online 15% off code I found effectively paid for the postage, so £25 for 2 hopefully well spent.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Asposium wrote:
Dyffers wrote:Apologies if it's been mentioned already (this thread is already a bit TL:DR) but Conotrane bed sore cream is what you need. Convenient 100ml tube, £1.20 ish from Boots, designed to prevent / ease pressure sores. Apply 'liberally' before a day ride, and whenever else it's funny to be seen with your hand down your shorts in public.
looking on google for conotrane cream; seems to be prescription only. :o
You sure, I just googled it and got loads of places selling it. It's only a barrier cream with a mild antiseptic added so any similar cream like sudacrem would also work.