sore bum

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

sore bum

Post by Asposium »

it's a sore subject, but one that need to be cracked; sorry couldn't resist :-bd

in preparation for the Tuscany trail I have been doing many single day sportives and rides.
recently the legs have been find, so all is good there.

however, have been getting sore skin on my tender bum. :sad:

so, what do people do before, during, and after the ride to prevent, or manage saddle soreness?
do shorts make a big difference?

any advice appreciated.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: sore bum

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I know this flies in the face of general thinking but I don't wear any type of undershort (padded or otherwise) and very rarely suffer sores. I do sometimes feel a little bruised on the sit bones but that passes after half an hour back in the saddle. I find that undershorts cause more friction and hold moisture and sweat ... get some air round 'em :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I know this flies in the face of general thinking but I don't wear any type of undershort (padded or otherwise) and very rarely suffer sores. I do sometimes feel a little bruised on the sit bones but that passes after half an hour back in the saddle. I find that undershorts cause more friction and hold moisture and sweat ... get some air round 'em :-bd
The padded (under)shorts of the brand I use does just that, transports away humidiy. It also keeps out dirt better than shorts.
Every one's different and given the heavy amount of padding Assos uses many would think they're rubbish and expensive nappies, but my bum has always been a real good state. Have worn them on Scotlands best ultradistance (2x) without ever taking them off. Only for the obvious visit of the loo of course.
Heard very good things from a long distance professional about Giordana. He's doesn't like the heavy padding of Assos.

Taking care of the skin comes down to moisture and dirt management (next to a few other things). My Assos pants have done an amazing job and are long lasting too.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Not done the write up yet but on my recent Cairngorm inner loop ride I was wearing a pair of newish shorts which have thick padding. I had previously worn them on several 30-40 mile rides without problem but on this ride I started to suffer pain after about 55 miles. When I stopped after 72 miles I was in considerable pain. I didn't realise how much damage I'd done until I went to get into my bag. Basically both cheeks of my bum were slick with blood where they contact the saddle and I put the blame squarely on the padding in these shorts. I'm gonna give Stu's commando style a go.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a pair of Assos bib shorts, very comfortable but also somewhat warm in the padding area for me. I'll be using them next week but will also have a pair of bib shorts with a different pad shape to move any potential sore points about.

There's a few things to consider:

Is your saddle the correct width (and shape)?
Are the pad and your saddle compatible? The width of the saddle may cause the edges of the padding to ruck and cause sores.

Having used butt cream without much success as it just keeps the whole area moist rather than simply lubricating any friction points I now use plain talcum powder to keep things dry. This is dealing with the symptom rather than the cause which Stu's "going commando" approach deals with.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

BAM and the padded shorts gone.
Following on from a thread ‘What Thermal Top?’ I decided to make a last minute purchase of a BAM top. While I was there I noticed they had a special offer on boxers and given the ongoing comfort problem in the shorts department decided to give them a go.
A brief ( no pun intended) history. Changed my saddle last year for a cheap basic WTB from a B17 as it I was getting a lot of chaffing. Tried creams, different padded shorts, no padded shorts, merino boxers, merino boxers under padded shorts all no good. Saddle initially appeared to cure problem so decided to upgrade to ‘team’ spec as I had some Euros to spend on a cash card and they were on offer in Germany. Again saddle good but as I increased weekly mileage/hours the problem returned. I started using a combination of shorts under my padded shorts with varying success but these retained sweat as opposed to wicking away and caused rashes.
Had to ask BAM to expedite the order as it was a last minute thing so the first real test of the BAM boxers was under padded shorts up the HT for four hours out of Tyndrum for a reccy. It was blisteringly hot and the shorts were comfortable from the off. Next day I decided to dump the padded shorts and just try the BAM boxers. Magic. 226 kilometres over two days with no problems in the shorts department. No pain, no padded shorts nothing other than comfortable riding. Slight problem with sizing as I bought Large based on AK merino Large boxers being skin tight but the BAM ones are bigger so will try Medium next time. BAM actually offered to exchange them if they were too large even after they had been used.
I don't think there is one solution so try various things until you find one that works for you but don't necessarily concentrate on padded.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Different things work for different people, but i would say that cleanliness is king..

I know some are ok sleeping in their shorts, but if i did it i may as well be sat on a cheese grater the next day..

Maybe antiseptic wipes.
Maybe take a second pair & wash & rotate (wish i would have done this in Spain)..

Don't know what cream you use, but i find this is better that the Assos stuff & the sachets are more convenient to take on a trip (there's 2 slightly different types..)-
https://www.merlincycles.com/chamois-bu ... 58906.html

I would honestly say stick with what you know atm though, don't know if i'd chance something different that could actually make things worse & ruin your trip.

The TT is a great event, hope you enjoy it..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

If it's general soreness and not specifically saddle sores can I also suggest you think about how long you are sat down for at a time.

On the Braunton 150 I rode for the first 25 hours with no problems and only had discomfort on the last hour or so once it flattened out and I was spinning at speed. On my road bike I can start to suffer after only an hour. I had a bit of a eureka moment recently when I realised that as my MTB is single speed I stand up often. The road bike is 2 x11 so when it gets hard going I've got a lower gear and stay seated. On the MTB if it's a climb I'm standing, or an off road descent or if it's really steep I'll be pushing. All this time out of the saddle takes the pressure off and allows the blood to flow and some air to get around your 'parts' :wink:

So I'd also suggest time riding stood up every so often or the occasional push to relieve the pressure.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Apologies if it's been mentioned already (this thread is already a bit TL:DR) but Conotrane bed sore cream is what you need. Convenient 100ml tube, £1.20 ish from Boots, designed to prevent / ease pressure sores. Apply 'liberally' before a day ride, and whenever else it's funny to be seen with your hand down your shorts in public.

Other things like saddles and shorts (and getting lots of time in so your arse becomes leathery) now work for me, but I still carry a tube of Conotrane for multiday rides. :-bd
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Dyffers wrote:Apologies if it's been mentioned already (this thread is already a bit TL:DR) but Conotrane bed sore cream is what you need. Convenient 100ml tube, £1.20 ish from Boots, designed to prevent / ease pressure sores. Apply 'liberally' before a day ride, and whenever else it's funny to be seen with your hand down your shorts in public.

Other things like saddles and shorts (and getting lots of time in so your arse becomes leathery) now work for me, but I still carry a tube of Conotrane for multiday rides. :-bd
thanks, will take a look
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

thanks guys. :-bd

I will take "tri-shorts" as a liner for beneath the (also padded) baggy shorts, rather than wearing padded cycling shorts beneath the baggy shorts. :smile:

tri-shorts have the advantage of being lighter and more compact, so can take a spare pair. :grin:

getting a little apprehensive about the TT now. :o
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

will take "tri-shorts" as a liner for beneath the (also padded) baggy shorts, rather than wearing padded cycling shorts beneath the baggy shorts.
So you're thinking of wearing 2 pairs of padded shorts at the same time? :???: No wonder you've got a sore arse :wink:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
will take "tri-shorts" as a liner for beneath the (also padded) baggy shorts, rather than wearing padded cycling shorts beneath the baggy shorts.
So you're thinking of wearing 2 pairs of padded shorts at the same time? :???: No wonder you've got a sore arse :wink:
yup

not a good idea?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

not a good idea?
I'd say not but without trying it you won't know I suppose.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've had to purchase 15+ pairs of shorts / bibs before I've found ones that work for me... but the ones I've got now REALLY work. So happy to have finally sorted out that particular issue.

Oh, and yes, take them off when you sleep... or you're asking for a shitty next day.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

I've swapped from padded shorts on multi-day rides to tri shorts which have a minimal chamois and no padding.
Wipe them down every night with antiseptic wet wipes and my arse and no problems with sores.
Worked in Spain
I find that if it's hot (sweat) or raining constantly the bike shorts keep your arse soaking wet all day. The tri shorts soon dry out in either occasion.
Coupled with a good lube of cream each morning and problem solved
jameso

Post by jameso »

Depends on what sort of soreness / discomfort you get but I agree with Stuart. Padded bike shorts were designed for 2-6 hour bike races, not multiple days of 12-16hrs, or more. The pad becomes a warm, damp bug development zone quite fast and I doubt anyone with an eye on the clock is properly washing shorts every day or 2.

Most of my issues (pressure/heat spots or follicle issues) were prevented or largely reduced by ditching padded bike shorts. Soft, thin polyester or merino boxers, lightweight baggies / touring shorts and the right shape saddle = no issues, at least for 4-6 days of long hours. Some std chammy cream in small amounts helps on longer rides. But I think if you ride for long enough it gets uncomfy somewhere, only natural really.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

rufus748 wrote:I've swapped from padded shorts on multi-day rides to tri shorts which have a minimal chamois and no padding.
Wipe them down every night with antiseptic wet wipes and my arse and no problems with sores.
Worked in Spain
I find that if it's hot (sweat) or raining constantly the bike shorts keep your arse soaking wet all day. The tri shorts soon dry out in either occasion.
I still cannot burn the image from my brain
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Dave Barter wrote:
rufus748 wrote:I've swapped from padded shorts on multi-day rides to tri shorts which have a minimal chamois and no padding.
Worked in Spain
I still cannot burn the image from my brain
I wondered why you rode behind me so much.......
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

What seat are you using - a good pair of shorts won't make a bad seat comfortable....
Seats are very personal and it will boil down to trying a few different ones to find what works well. WTB are a good starting point however.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

jameso wrote:Padded bike shorts were designed for 2-6 hour bike races, not multiple days of 12-16hrs, or more.
Ever spoke to the development dept. of any brands or is it a guess?
Some go further :wink:

Assos pants and Assos cream;
No matter how filthy I get and stay. Never an issue, not on two HT550, not on multiday Wales, 5.5 weeks across UK, fortnight Iceland and many other trips where I neglected hygiene. Good thing is, you can use Assos cream for many other things. But again, every body and skin is a bit different.

I do wonder how folks ride in one layer of shorts only. When things get really shyt my pants usually are full of muck. The chamois surely gets soaked, but a well designed pant will dry unnoticed and fast. But, and it's a big but, there's no sand on your skin. I do question those who ride in one layer only, if they have ever ridden 5 and more days without a proper wash in dirty conditions. I used to ride without chamois and it was cruel in the grime. Skin looked like shyt after one day only.

How about TD veterans? Any one layered TD veteran around? Sand and salt..? Chamois cream with out the chamois?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've noticed that actually. Grit gone right through my outer shorts and made a proper mess of the bottom of my undershorts, but thankfully not affected the pad.

I can only imagine what that would have done to my butt if it was just shorts and underwear.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

htrider wrote:What seat are you using - a good pair of shorts won't make a bad seat comfortable....
Seats are very personal and it will boil down to trying a few different ones to find what works well. WTB are a good starting point however.
Selle italia SLR XP

Looks too thin and uncomfortable, I find it suits me well.
Also have a Selle italia Fluid
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

How many use rear mudguards? I had very little dirt thrown at me on the JennRide. Granted it wasn't particularly muddy but there was quite a bit of surface water and my bike did need a good clean afterwards.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Asposium wrote:
htrider wrote:What seat are you using - a good pair of shorts won't make a bad seat comfortable....
Selle italia SLR XP

Looks too thin and uncomfortable, I find it suits me well.
Also have a Selle italia Fluid
Same here. I even go down the SLR Ti lane, which is even harder. But it's the right shape for my bum and hase right amount of flex.

whitestone wrote:How many use rear mudguards?
nope. And I'm not the one with a huge saddle bag either. I like the kind of riding where mudguards break, fall off or are in the way at some point.