Derailieur on / off. Eh?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Derailieur on / off. Eh?

Post by ootini »

My Mrs has a new bike, a Marin Wildcat WFG5. It's got a 1x10 drive train and the other day I noticed the rear mech as an on off lever on it. Any theories ?
psling

Re: Derailieur on / off. Eh?

Post by psling »

Shimano? It's a 'clutch mechanism'. Turn off to make it easier to spring the derailleur out of the way to remove the wheel, turn on in use to reduce chain slap, etc.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

psling wrote:Turn off to make it easier to spring the derailleur out of the way to remove the wheel
It's pretty much essential to turn it off when putting the wheel back in. Within minutes of my wife getting her new bike home she'd snapped the rear mech hanger off trying to force the wheel in.

On a 1x setup it stops the chain jumping off the front ring.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Fab. So default is "on" for general riding. "Off" only when fiddling with rear wheel. Cheers
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Pretty much that for the on-off lever on the mech. I've not noticed much (if any difference) between on and off regarding chain retention, a narrow-wide chainring when using a 1x system is far more use. As for chain slap - if I'm going down terrain that's likely to cause chain slap there's so much other noise I can't hear it! :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Fab. So default is "on" for general riding. "Off" only when fiddling with rear wheel. Cheers

I find the settings are very similar to the lockout on forks & are:

Off - to remove the rear wheel
&
Off - because I've forgotton to turn it back on.