2017 WRT weigh in

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

2017 WRT weigh in

Post by benp1 »

Any chance the list is available?

I think I was around 55 lbs but would like to see the list for interest and comparison, probably could have dropped a bit if I'd taken fewer pork pies and scotch eggs
Artie Fufkin

Re: 2017 WRT weigh in

Post by Artie Fufkin »

Yeah, would be good.
Would be interesting as to what people were pushing round Mid Wales.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just got back from Scotland, give me a few days and I'll sort it / post it up.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Just got back from Scotland, give me a few days and I'll sort it / post it up.
:-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

? :wink: ta
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just got back from the Lakes. Give me a few days and I'll sort it / post it up ... because it's obviously very important and preventing people from going out, enjoying the weather and riding their bikes :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Not that I'm, er, remotely interested in numbers or figures or anything as you know, but, er, apparently some people are, erm, and that, or whatever. Er. :wink:. Not that you're not mega-busy of course, erm, and stuff. I'll get me coat (*)....

(*) Berghaus hyper-condom-smock thingy...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Having run out of excuses, I've just found this years weigh-in sheets. It appears a spider, whacked out of his face and wearing wellies may have beaten me to it, so it might take some deciphering. However, there are some things I can say thus far with 100% certainty:

The lightest bike belonged to Stu Cowp' and was 32lb

The heaviest bike was Pete Duncanson & Son and weighed 130lb

The heaviest bike which didn't involve a small child belonged to Matt Carverbridge / Camitridge / Capertbridge / ? ... anyway, it was a healthy 79lb

And finally (for now) someone called Reg had a bike weighing 37.5lb which made it fourth lightest overall. However, I believe a panda may have been involved and am not yet certain that said panda was actually weighed ... maybe someone can confirm?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

No pandas were weighed during the making of my scrawl.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Taylor wrote:No pandas were weighed during the making of my scrawl.
The panda was actually lighter than air explaining reg's surprising speed for a man of his age.

My ECR weighed 62lbs for the record, I'm aiming for well under 50 next year without the use of pandas.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

"surprising speed", believe me Steve nobody's more surprised than me :smile:. I think you're onto something with the anti-gravity panda idea though (gravity - uh-oh, don't start me on quantum stuff again or we'll be here all night).

Many thanks Stu/Taylor, I do find weight quite interesting, in as much as it's bound up with the whole "what do I bother taking" discussion. Quite chuffed with the 37.5 considering I was away for 5 days. 0.5lbs of that was probably vile-smell molecules. Admittedly that was picking up supplies on the way round; which will no doubt raise the usual discussion, as if it matters, about what is more "self-supported" - taking ALL supplies from the start, or self-supplying from public provisioners. I expect there's an officially laid down definition of "self-supported" somewhere if I could be bothered to go and look :wink:.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Admittedly that was picking up supplies on the way round; which will no doubt raise the usual discussion, as if it matters, about what is more "self-supported" - taking ALL supplies from the start, or self-supplying from public provisioners. I expect there's an officially laid down definition of "self-supported" somewhere if I could be bothered to go and look :wink:.
As far as I'm concerned, buying stuff along the way when available, isn't only simple common sense but also a benefit to the local community :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

"benefit to local community" - absolutely. That's one of my (many) odd ideas as you know! Obviously doesn't work very well if you're in the hyper-remote fastnesses but for a 2-wheeled tramp it's a major (tramp-major!! haha!) part of the whole experience I think.

Having a lot of fun with Tramp-Royal by the way, although I have to keep checking the glossary at the back every few paragraphs :smile:

RIP

Post by RIP »

So continuing all the stuff above about Tramp-Royal and self-sufficiency and whatnot, coincidentally I've just got to the bit where yer man - who of course normally blags his sustenance - realises it's Sunday tomorrow and he's got no grub. So he comes up with an idea ("The Bad Man came behind me and suggested a way" - The Bad Man, I like it!) and he goes into a shop on Skye, despite "never would I sully my fair name of sorner by committing so heinous a wrong". What can he be thinking? Surely not. "No-one would see.... it was the only way... I must do it". "And do it I did. I stole like the renegade I was into the shop and demanded food. I hustled everything with guilty haste, burning with shame. Then I advanced on the old woman, and suddenly whipping out a clenched fist from my pocket, [don't do it, don't do it man!] I callously let the frail old body have what was coming to her [oh no, I can't watch.. it's too much]......... in silver and coppers although I've a suspicion she overcharged me, me being a stranger...." :wink: :lol: . So even the best trampers sometimes lower themselves to the dreaded "backup credit-card" :smile:. "I couldn't sleep because my conscience kept pricking me for having played traitor to my tramphood in buying with money the grub is was my professional duty to have mooched". Professional duty, eh.... I've still a lot to learn......

RIP

Post by RIP »

Sorry back again (Mrs Perrin says I'm just trying to avoid doing the washing-up and she's absolutely right). I get a bit panicky if I don't have several books on the go at once, and as well as all that physics stuff and Tramp-Royal, I'm going to re-read "Free Country" again now I think. Stop me if I've bored you with that one before (oh, I have, ah well) but it's about two blokes who do LEJOG. Now it is relevant to ultralight bikepacking (honest, bear with me), because they start the trip with - bugger all! Literally. No bikes, no money, no CLOTHES. Apart from their pants. That's ultralight. I've tried bikepacking with no clothes on to see what it was like but only managed a few hundred yards. They gradually blagged everything from then on, including the bikes which obviously didn't fit properly. They didn't even get those until page 47. Did they make it? Of course. "Travelling without money was simply a way to put us at the mercy of those around us, to meet people, see places, and have experiences we otherwise wouldn't have had". "It doesn't cost anything to ask for help, or to make new friends, or to smile and have fun". Amen :-bd