Time Management

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Borderer

Re: Time Management

Post by Borderer »

I am a single mum, self employed with four income streams on the go. I wouldn't call any of these 'jobs' as I try to make sure I only get involved with passive-income endeavours. I have four on the go not because I am a workaholic (far from it) but because none of them makes very much, so I need a few. I don't get child support from anyone else for Joe so it is all down to me. Joe is home-educated so he is around all the time. I have to find ways to make money that fit in with him and also with having fun and going riding. I am constantly on the lookout for new ways to add to our income. I am not smug about this as things are rarely comfortable, but we get by. We are cash-poor but time-rich, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

I think there is a lot of pressure on people to work 'proper jobs' and extend themselves financially as far as mortgages and so on go. This seems to me to be an outdated model that just doesn't work as is evidenced by the way retirement age keeps getting pushed back further and further. Stepping out of this rat race and prioritising quality of life decisions does involve some mental gymnastics and a willingness to look at life from a different angle. Being willing to move to a cheaper part of the country is an obvious one, but there are other ways too that can lead to having more time to do the things you want with your life.

Time is one thing we can never make more of. It is very precious and slips past so quickly. There is a very good reason why we punish people by putting them in prison to take time away from them - next to the death penalty it is the ultimate punishment. I couldn't sit in an office all day making money for someone else, but when it comes time to renew my car insurance I am glad that someone out there is willing to do it!

If you are struggling to find time to fit in the things you want to do in life then have a look for ways to generate passive income. I can't tell you how to do this, it is something you need to figure out for yourself. Initially it is something that can be done alongside your regular job, but if it works out then you may find that you can afford to cut back on the hours you work. Likewise by cutting your outgoings by moving to a cheaper area, cancelling the Sky/Netfix/Spotify accounts or whatever. Even just being able to spend half a day less at work every week is a precious thing.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Time Management

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I am a single mum, self employed with four income streams on the go. I wouldn't call any of these 'jobs' as I try to make sure I only get involved with passive-income endeavours. I have four on the go not because I am a workaholic (far from it) but because none of them makes very much, so I need a few. I don't get child support from anyone else for Joe so it is all down to me. Joe is home-educated so he is around all the time. I have to find ways to make money that fit in with him and also with having fun and going riding. I am constantly on the lookout for new ways to add to our income. I am not smug about this as things are rarely comfortable, but we get by. We are cash-poor but time-rich, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

I think there is a lot of pressure on people to work 'proper jobs' and extend themselves financially as far as mortgages and so on go. This seems to me to be an outdated model that just doesn't work as is evidenced by the way retirement age keeps getting pushed back further and further. Stepping out of this rat race and prioritising quality of life decisions does involve some mental gymnastics and a willingness to look at life from a different angle. Being willing to move to a cheaper part of the country is an obvious one, but there are other ways too that can lead to having more time to do the things you want with your life.

Time is one thing we can never make more of. It is very precious and slips past so quickly. There is a very good reason why we punish people by putting them in prison to take time away from them - next to the death penalty it is the ultimate punishment. I couldn't sit in an office all day making money for someone else, but when it comes time to renew my car insurance I am glad that someone out there is willing to do it!

If you are struggling to find time to fit in the things you want to do in life then have a look for ways to generate passive income. I can't tell you how to do this, it is something you need to figure out for yourself. Initially it is something that can be done alongside your regular job, but if it works out then you may find that you can afford to cut back on the hours you work. Likewise by cutting your outgoings by moving to a cheaper area, cancelling the Sky/Netfix/Spotify accounts or whatever. Even just being able to spend half a day less at work every week is a precious thing.
I'm not a single mum but aside from that ... bang on :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way