SP Dynamo issues

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adventurer

SP Dynamo issues

Post by Adventurer »

So this is my second SP Dynamo, well it's a rebranded SP Dynamo. I've only had it a few months now and it's had very little use.

It's already got some play / knocking side to side.

Posted a couple of videos. It's hard to see the small movement/play in the hub, but if you turn the volume up you can hear the knocking.

Would you consider this as normal with this hub? Is it just me or do I really have another bad SP Dynamo?

https://flickr.com/photos/130449394@N08 ... 1729182975

Thanks
johnnystorm

Re: SP Dynamo issues

Post by johnnystorm »

Conversation with the German supplier of my duffer suggests they think it's perfectly acceptable for it to be shagged out after a thousand miles and that chances of a replacement for free are near zero. A number of lessons learnt there. :roll:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Nearly 10,000km done on mine now.... but I've not looked at it post Divide, I'm sure it's fine.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There does seem to be a split regarding SP dynamo hubs: some have problems fairly early on while others have none at all.

Of course people who have problems tend to be the ones posting about it - it's just human nature plus you tend to remember bad tales rather than good ones so everyone's perception is skewed. SP (or any manufacturer) aren't going to publish their faulty returns rate so the true extent of any "problem" is hard to determine.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

I'm sure I read that there's two slightly different types of these, with different seals for the bearings? Or is it just down to QA procedures being a bit lax.
It's normal that those with failures will be vocal, but there does seem to be quite a few on here (although I'm sure a small percentage of the overall).
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike