So am I the only Brit in the CAT700?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

So am I the only Brit in the CAT700?

Post by pistonbroke »

Entered this a couple of months ago, basically a 400 mile self supported trip from the north to south of cataluña. It finishes about 20km from where I live and I can say the route passes through some stunning scenery. I've been putting a few miles in recently with 100-150 km day rides 2-3 times a week as well as a 200km trip around the mountains at the end with Chew.
I think the entry fee may have put some off, especially factoring in the cost of getting here. The fee includes a bus transfer from the finish to the start on the French border, accommodation and food he day before, spot tracker, insurance and an event riding jersey.
The entries close 1st of June and the website is http://www.cat700.com if you want more info.
Jurassic pusher

Re: So am I the only Brit in the CAT700?

Post by Jurassic pusher »

It looks very appealing, warm and sunny, no sign of mud!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Haven't seen any real mud for months, not really missing the hours of cleaning post ride. We go on rides with the local club and it's bizarre seeing them tiptoeing through fords, stopping to take pictures etc when Trish and I just go ploughing through.
Back to CAT700, forumite Jesus Lobo del Pozo is riding for the second year and was very complimentary about the event last year. Hot weather was a factor last time as it was 40 degrees in the middle section, currently it's fluctuating around the mid 20's but forecasted to get hotter next week. Luckily the course passes through loads of villages so water can be replenished.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bollocks to any sort of serious output in 40c heat. I'd be lucky to survive the flats, let alone the hills.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

I'd love to have a crack at it next year, it sounds like riding through Arizona but only a ferry ride away!
Good luck. A post race report would be great. Cheers.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Richard G wrote:Bollocks to any sort of serious output in 40c heat. I'd be lucky to survive the flats, let alone the hills.
That's cause your Welsh. However cold and wet and you would kick everybody's asses!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

The big day is here, tomorrow actually, we are being bussed first thing in the morning from the finish to the start high in the Pyrenees. The route GPX shows a few changes to last year making it even more off road. The weather forecast says 23-30 degrees and no rain. The bike is packed and fettled following an 11th hour bb swap. I'm aiming for 4 days for the 400+ miles which leaves a day up my sleeve for the unforeseen. I'm carrying a tracker which can be followed online here https://tracktherace.com/es/cat-700-mtb-brevet-2016 Feeling that combination of excitement and apprehension :???:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Good luck. :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

In a way I'm jealous but I'll commiserate with a trip to Bearstock :wink: Good luck!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Well I'm back, finished at 5.30 yesterday afternoon so beat my target time with a total of under 3 1/2 days. Amazing experience!
Only mechanical was a rear brake calliper that rattled loose. Palled up with a 24 year old lad for 2 1/2 days so we were the oldest and youngest riders in the event. Crossed the line together in 6th place so well pleased with that. Full report to follow when I regain the use of my fingers.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Top result :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Excellent job. :cool:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Nice riding :-bd

I'll drop you a message soon about our july-august Pyrenees trip and where-abouts...