Bargain Alert Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Chew, Taylor

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby Asposium » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:48 pm

Reduced price (*) Busch + Müller dynamo charge controller

https://www.bikester.co.uk/accessories/ ... ories.html

(*) no idea if this is a good price, merely passing on the info
Asposium
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:39 pm
Location: Hull

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby wriggles » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:13 pm

Bike24 have got good discounts on Rab sleeping bags at the moment. Just picked up a Rab neutrino 200 XL for £180, cheapest next price i could find is Rock and Run for £220 for the extra long version
wriggles
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:52 am
Location: Reading, Berks

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby Alh14 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:52 pm

Good discounts on Schwalbe tyres at Merlin.
Alh14
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:14 am

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby techno mail » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:54 pm

techno mail
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:31 am
Location: Hull

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby ianfitz » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:49 pm

I wanted to stock up on meths and realised that toolstation sell 2 litres for £6:80.

Seems a lot cheaper than any of the 500ml bottles I’ve seen.
Image
ianfitz
 
Posts: 3363
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby Richard G » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:46 pm

ianfitz wrote:I wanted to stock up on meths

We've all had weeks like that.
User avatar
Richard G
 
Posts: 2651
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:09 am
Location: South Wales

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby ianfitz » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:31 pm

Richard G wrote:
ianfitz wrote:I wanted to stock up on meths

We've all had weeks like that.


I’ve had months like that!

But this time it’s because my daughter is plotting and planning for her DofE expedition. She has a brand new 22g stove from stuart and needs to get used to it.
Image
ianfitz
 
Posts: 3363
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby JohnClimber » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:04 pm

Richard G wrote:
ianfitz wrote:I wanted to stock up on meths

We've all had weeks like that.


It's not often I .......LOL.....

But that my friend is bloody funny.....

10/10
Don’t expect a great night of sleep while camping — expect a series of naps.

http://www.traversbikes.com http://www.laufforks.com & http://www.wildcatgear.co.uk
User avatar
JohnClimber
 
Posts: 1893
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby ZeroDarkBivi » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:30 am

40% of 2017 Scott Spark 710 Plus:

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott ... 17-p314468

Please convince me this would not make a great bike for trips through Big Country.
User avatar
ZeroDarkBivi
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:18 am
Location: Somerset

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby middleagedmadness » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:54 am

Endura mt500 jackets down to £130 at lesiure lakes
middleagedmadness
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:37 pm
Location: bradley -a small fishing hamlet in the blackcountry

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby Rich3rd » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:17 pm

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:40% of 2017 Scott Spark 710 Plus:

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott ... 17-p314468

Please convince me this would not make a great bike for trips through Big Country.


Regardless of how good a bargain it is, make sure its the right size for you.
Never knowingly under biked...
User avatar
Rich3rd
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:03 am
Location: Berkhamsted

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby ZeroDarkBivi » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Rich3rd wrote:
ZeroDarkBivi wrote:40% of 2017 Scott Spark 710 Plus:

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott ... 17-p314468

Please convince me this would not make a great bike for trips through Big Country.


Regardless of how good a bargain it is, make sure its the right size for you.


Sizing was mostly right, but they wouldn't swap the 170 crank for a 165, which gave me an excuse to walk away from it...
User avatar
ZeroDarkBivi
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:18 am
Location: Somerset

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby TheBrownDog » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:06 am

Planet-X have "discounted" some of the Podsacs stuff. I've no idea just how waterproof these things are, but for £12.50 I've taken a punt. Hoping it will fit in the loop of my Alpkit Confucius bars.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAPODAHBB ... dlebar-bag
I'm just stepping outside ...
User avatar
TheBrownDog
 
Posts: 763
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:46 pm
Location: Chilterns

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby middleagedmadness » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:43 pm

TheBrownDog wrote:Planet-X have "discounted" some of the Podsacs stuff. I've no idea just how waterproof these things are, but for £12.50 I've taken a punt. Hoping it will fit in the loop of my Alpkit Confucius bars.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAPODAHBB ... dlebar-bag

If it's like the seat pack it's double lined nothing gets through it but it does weigh
middleagedmadness
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:37 pm
Location: bradley -a small fishing hamlet in the blackcountry

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby Bearbonesnorm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:11 am

SportsPursuit have Proviz gear. I was and continue to be, very impressed with it.
Always be yourself unless you can be a pirate. In that case, always be a pirate
User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
 
Posts: 13670
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby 99percentchimp » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:39 pm

Bearbonesnorm wrote:SportsPursuit have Proviz gear. I was and continue to be, very impressed with it.


Can you comment on longevity Stu? Does it remain as eye-searingly reflective as the images after wearing and washes... I like the look of the gilet for that money (and it fits well with my road riding paranoia) :-bd
Ruining a good ride by bringing my camping stuff TM ;-)
User avatar
99percentchimp
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: North Wales!

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby Bearbonesnorm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:19 pm

Can you comment on longevity Stu? Does it remain as eye-searingly reflective as the images after wearing and washes

After wearing / stuffing in bags - no problem at all. Can't comment on 'after washing' sorry :wink:
Always be yourself unless you can be a pirate. In that case, always be a pirate
User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
 
Posts: 13670
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby Karl » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:46 pm

Washing trials have been conducted in our household........ :roll:
And it's still ultra reflective/shiny/Alien invader looking :lol:
Well worth the money, feel alot safer on my commute with it on.
User avatar
Karl
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:27 pm
Location: Northern Peak District

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby deft punk » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:43 am

Has anyone tried the coloured Proviz gear? Is it still as reflective at night? It looks like it might address my main issue with the grey stuff, if it's dull or raining it can be a bit like camouflage on roads in the day time, but if it's not as mad shiny at night then... :(
deft punk
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:14 am

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby JohnClimber » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:14 pm

Just saved a tenner on the cloud cover quilt to use under my hammock

https://www.alpkit.com/sale
Don’t expect a great night of sleep while camping — expect a series of naps.

http://www.traversbikes.com http://www.laufforks.com & http://www.wildcatgear.co.uk
User avatar
JohnClimber
 
Posts: 1893
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby ianfitz » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:15 pm

JohnClimber wrote:Just saved a tenner on the cloud cover quilt to use under my hammock

https://www.alpkit.com/sale



There’s a load of stuff discounted in this sale. Well worth a look...
Image
ianfitz
 
Posts: 3363
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby whitestone » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:32 am

Image
whitestone
 
Posts: 3801
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:20 am
Location: Skipton(ish)

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby benp1 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:41 am

I was on there earlier. Their pricing is pretty spicy these days, I know the kit is good but cheap it ain't. Particularly when they don't have hydrophobic down
benp1
 
Posts: 2359
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:36 pm
Location: North London

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby whitestone » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:59 am

benp1 wrote:I was on there earlier. Their pricing is pretty spicy these days, I know the kit is good but cheap it ain't. Particularly when they don't have hydrophobic down


Some of the items, particularly the sleeping bags, are sale items only. I bought a Minim 200 in the spring sale three years ago for £170, it's £219 now. I noted elsewhere that Alpkit products have similarly risen steeply in price over the last couple of years so maybe it's a general realignment of costs. That said, I bought my Rab expedition weight bag for a discounted £200, should have been £270, over twenty years ago. The same model now is £750, an equivalent rated PHD bag is £700.

I do like PHD kit but I've only ever been able to justify buying stuff in their sales.
Image
whitestone
 
Posts: 3801
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:20 am
Location: Skipton(ish)

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Postby benp1 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:04 pm

whitestone wrote:
benp1 wrote:I was on there earlier. Their pricing is pretty spicy these days, I know the kit is good but cheap it ain't. Particularly when they don't have hydrophobic down


Some of the items, particularly the sleeping bags, are sale items only. I bought a Minim 200 in the spring sale three years ago for £170, it's £219 now. I noted elsewhere that Alpkit products have similarly risen steeply in price over the last couple of years so maybe it's a general realignment of costs. That said, I bought my Rab expedition weight bag for a discounted £200, should have been £270, over twenty years ago. The same model now is £750, an equivalent rated PHD bag is £700.

I do like PHD kit but I've only ever been able to justify buying stuff in their sales.


£270 then is about £470 now - http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bill ... -1900.html

However, my earnings are very significantly higher now than then so even though things are more expensive, i'm earning more so can afford them

That said, the PHD prices are still steep. I do like the PHD items I have though...
benp1
 
Posts: 2359
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:36 pm
Location: North London

PreviousNext

Return to General banter

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests