Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Re: HT550 - the 2018 edition.

Post by Mike »

Dave that must be why i havent tried to get in this yr again :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

If you enter an event then you agree to the rules whether or not you agree with them. Sadly many rules get introduced because people push the boundaries too far, basically take the piss. Singlespeed as a class/category should be obvious. Can't remember seeing a "Dinglespeed" or "Tringlespeed" category :roll:

A quick look through the finisher listings shows that Alan only differentiates between: male and female; group and ITT. Shona and Rich on the tandem are the only exception to this that I can see.

Bad weather year? Probably due one :shock:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Yep, no special class for singlespeeders. It's our choice so we can't really then ask for a special class. The event has been won on geared bikes and singlespeeds.

This weather prediction? What have the previous years been like? 2017 was ok ish? 2016 was sunny? Was 2014 the really bad year?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Glad to be in again.
The small route change at the end looks like a bit of a small but painful sting in the tail - "whats not to like!?" My previous experience at this point is best described as emotional - and thats on the flat. Im expecting a real battle over that short section assuming the best for all that lies before it!
Johnny
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

The small route change at the end looks like a bit of a small but painful sting in the tail
Please explain I don't know what you mean. :???:
As far as I know the 2018 route hasn't been released, although the expectation is that it's the same as 2017, in which case I've no idea what the small route change / sting in the tail is. Please clarify.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

padonbike wrote:
The small route change at the end looks like a bit of a small but painful sting in the tail
As far as I know the 2018 route hasn't been released, although the expectation is that it's the same as 2017, in which case I've no idea what the small route change / sting in the tail is. Please clarify.
Alan sent out the GPX this morning, the email ended up in my spam folder for some reason. The change is that the route now follows the WHW in its entirety from Glencoe back to Tyndrum so at Victoria Bridge you now head up and over the small hill to get to Bridge of Orchy rather than go round by the road.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

That's a waste of a good descent :grin:
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Cheers Bob just retrieved gpx from junk and all is clear. :|
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

It'll be reet. Just train more.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote:
padonbike wrote:
Alan sent out the GPX this morning, the email ended up in my spam folder for some reason. The change is that the route now follows the WHW in its entirety from Glencoe back to Tyndrum so at Victoria Bridge you now head up and over the small hill to get to Bridge of Orchy rather than go round by the road.
Bloody hell, both times I've gone past the start of that climb and been very grateful its not on the route, interested why Alan's included that as it just exposes you to more glaikit WHW walkers.... quite glad I'm not in now :mrgreen:
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

it just exposes you to more glaikit WHW walkers
Not if you're there at 02:30, like I was this year :cry: :cry: :cry:
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

2014 weather was alright,
2015 was fine to start with. I binned it in Ullapool after a horrible headwind across the top loop. The weather only got worse.
2016 was good. I rode the first bit of the route the week before the mass start and the Loch Lyon ford was treacherous, but everyone seemed to luck out with the weather on the race.
2017 weather also good, a tailwind across the top loop. A bit of rain on my last day but nothing else I can really remember.

I agree that we’re overdue for poor weather.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

2013 Warm, dry, loads of sun. Hardly any wind. Made the first HT easy.

2016 hot, dry, loads of sun again. No wind worth mentioning. Fast rolling all over. Easy again (at my pace)

2019 will be like this again. Stop bringing you rain gear to Scotland :lol:

I nearly had to ride HT550 ssp and would've stuck to 34:18.
There's always a second gear in ssp'ing. Pushing. Train that too. It's good to get off the bike and use different muscles every now and then. Time wise I believe you gain more with a slightly bigger gear on the HT. Some 16000 m climbing in 880 km isn't exactly much (unless you're Dutch or Danish and never leave the country).
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Alpinum wrote: Some 16000 m climbing in 880 km isn't exactly much (unless you're Dutch or Danish and never leave the country).
Or from Essex... :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Given where you live Gian, everywhere is flat :wink:

Regarding the walkers on the WHW - we got them on the section between Ba Cottage and Victoria Bridge - they must have set off en-masse from Tyndrum - it was like trying to ride along Oxford Street with a Christmas fair going on :roll:

As for why Alan included it - a quick bit of research (the S-site) and it seems someone suggested it. I can think of one or two much worse "tracks" he could have included but I'm not going to mention them within earshot of him just in case. :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It will all be new to me so I won't have anything to compare it too, so on that basis I'll enjoy all of it and take it as it comes :grin: This will only be the second time I've been to Scotland, the first was my honeymoon. The furthest north we went was Oban so this ride will be the furthest north I've ever been in the UK.

I'd like to have gone back since but it is a very long way from where I live. Saying that, the travel distance from my house to Tyndrum is less than the distance around the HT550, and I live off the south coast :o
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

whitestone wrote:Given where you live Gian, everywhere is flat :wink:

Regarding the walkers on the WHW - we got them on the section between Ba Cottage and Victoria Bridge - they must have set off en-masse from Tyndrum - it was like trying to ride along Oxford Street with a Christmas fair going on :roll:

As for why Alan included it - a quick bit of research (the S-site) and it seems someone suggested it. I can think of one or two much worse "tracks" he could have included but I'm not going to mention them within earshot of him just in case. :lol:
True, but also many other UK long distance routes have more climbing per distance than HT.

In general and purely rethorical;
To be honest, why would you miss a track for a road when mountain biking? To make it easier & cover ground quicker?

I've suggested a few things to Alan to see more technicality and make it more mountainbiking and can say that he still has his senses.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote: Regarding the walkers on the WHW - we got them on the section between Ba Cottage and Victoria Bridge - they must have set off en-masse from Tyndrum - it was like trying to ride along Oxford Street with a Christmas fair going on :roll:

What like Loch Etive? :shock:
I too hit this bit at 3 am (24 hrs lagging behind you padonbike :grin: ) and revelled in blasting down the military road full gas without having to manoeuvre round lots of walkers but if I'd had to drag my sorry arse over that bump I would have burst into tears....
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Not sure I see the point in changing what is already a good route, particularly if you buy into the ITT idea, as every time the course changes the 'records' are no longer relevant. Does the AZT, CTR, etc change frequently? Of course, in reality the ride times are not a true reflection of ability (other than in the group start, of that particular year), but mostly determined by luck with the weather, which makes a massive difference to forward progress.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Craig, from what I've seen the American ITTs tend to change route because of wild fires or floods so roads/trails get closed which in the States means "closed", i.e. only emergency crews allowed through.

This year some of the faster riders had a stiff headwind down the Great Glen, 12hrs later when I got there it was dead calm. I was still slower than they were :oops:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Not sure I see the point in changing what is already a good route, particularly if you buy into the ITT idea, as every time the course changes the 'records' are no longer relevant. Does the AZT, CTR, etc change frequently? Of course, in reality the ride times are not a true reflection of ability (other than in the group start, of that particular year), but mostly determined by luck with the weather, which makes a massive difference to forward progress.
I agree with this to an extent as Phil Simcock's ride is still the most amazing in my mind as the course had a harder day 1, the ropey section in Torridon, not great weather and a complete lack of detailed information/recces etc...
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

It should be looked at what it is. A year by year group start. To throw all into the same bucket seems quite odd imo.

Someone will soon explain (my brief words) the obvious here, as usual
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Exactly. Which is why I think the ITT concept is deeply flawed. Some great challenges have been designed, but silly to think the 'leaderboard' is more talent than luck. But the millions of Strava addicts would indicate I am in the minority here!

Back OT, I am not doing HT18, but when I do have another go it will be in the 'race' or touring; no middle ground.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Looks like a cyclist has taken over the Inchbae Hotel just beyond Contin - http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... -is/page/2
landel

Post by landel »

I didn't get a place in the group start but I'm going to do an ITT, probably starting Mon May 21st. Currently working out the finer details. I'll be using a GPS device but I saw mention on here about a paper map, ideally pretty packable? I'd like to take this along to have a good overview of where I am. Appreciate the help :-bd