Pour and store or...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

restlessshawn

Pour and store or...

Post by restlessshawn »

Before I order some more pour and store bags have we found a cheaper alternative that will take boiling water?

Tried a normal zip lock, wasn't impressive with plastic tasting porridge and it did not have enough structure
jamiep

Re: Pour and store or...

Post by jamiep »

Cheaper?! They cost about 20p each
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Aldi often do them for even less.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

'Soup and Save' or something like that on ebay.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

Wilko do packs of ten for a couple of quid, they work for me!
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Yeah I actually struggle to find proper ones in shops, off to ebay for soup and saves...
techno

Post by techno »

You can also get tip'n'zip bags from home bargains. About 80p for ten.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

My last trip I just used tescos own ziplock for porridge and had no taste issues.

They are pretty floppy but then I had the brainwave of tearing off a corner and just squeezing it out in to my mouth like a piping bag. Much easier and not even a messed up spoon, just massage it and warm your hands at the same time :-bd

Much prefer my homemade porridge mix to the bought extreme version, though its heavier its much tastier and I put a big knob of butter in the bag too.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Butter in porridge :???:

I invented pirate porridge on one trip when I was getting bored of normal porridge, it's basically just porridge with a tot of rum over the top
benp1

Post by benp1 »

There are 3 theee good things about the pour and store bags, be interested to hear if it's true of the others
- very thick plastic (i.e. Robust)
- extra strong seal
- stands up on its own - has a base that concertinas open (i.e. Easier to eat out of and mix things up inside)

Do the cheapo other bags do this too?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Moder-dye wrote: Much prefer my homemade porridge mix to the bought extreme version, though its heavier its much tastier and I put a big knob of butter in the bag too.
Do you just use ordinary porridge or some sort of "quick-cook" kind? I've been planning similar but not got round to testing cooking times yet.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

ScotRoutes wrote: Do you just use ordinary porridge or some sort of "quick-cook" kind? I've been planning similar but not got round to testing cooking times yet.

I used normal rolled oats not any powdery quick stuff. 100g oats, 3 tbs dried milk powder, 2 tbs brown sugar, a good few big raisins 'flame?' and a big knob of proper butter. Just add what seemed right amount of boiling water, massage a bit and leave to soak for 10 mins or so. I did 10 mins soak when testing at home and it was fine, maybe was left longer in real use as was sorting stuff out and liked it to cool more.

I wanted full fat dried milk, but i can't buy it locally. Some one suggested using dry baby formula but haven't tried that yet.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Moder-dye wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote: Do you just use ordinary porridge or some sort of "quick-cook" kind? I've been planning similar but not got round to testing cooking times yet.

I used normal rolled oats not any powdery quick stuff. 100g oats, 3 tbs dried milk powder, 2 tbs brown sugar, a good few big raisins 'flame?' and a big knob of proper butter. Just add what seemed right amount of boiling water, massage a bit and leave to soak for 10 mins or so. I did 10 mins soak when testing at home and it was fine, maybe was left longer in real use as was sorting stuff out and liked it to cool more.

I wanted full fat dried milk, but i can't buy it locally. Some one suggested using dry baby formula but haven't tried that yet.
Cheers.

I was going to do some home testing too. Sugar though- what on earth are you thinking of. Don't you mean salt? :wink:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Yeah sorry, you're not the first to comment on sugar :cry:

All I can say is I am actually English :shock:

I often make brose at home as its less faff. Just rolled oats in a bowl covered in boiling water with a knob of butter added when its soaked for 10mins. Hopefully that let's me off :???:
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

The wilko ones are reusable, and tough enough that I haven't had any leaks, even after using them "boil in the bag" style. They also free stand when full, I just put it on the ground with my hat over it while the food hydrates/cooks.
giryan

Post by giryan »

Something to think about is if the bags have BPA in them. Heat will make more of it leach out of the plastic. :(
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I use Lakeland ones as they stand up to fair amount of abuse and can be washed and re used.
Also carry first aid, washing stuff, several feet of bog paper folded and tools in them as I can see what in them and where.
If you can get the air out they pack down well.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
techno

Post by techno »

benp1 wrote:There are 3 theee good things about the pour and store bags, be interested to hear if it's true of the others
- very thick plastic (i.e. Robust)
- extra strong seal
- stands up on its own - has a base that concertinas open (i.e. Easier to eat out of and mix things up inside)

tip n zip from home bargains do all this :-bd