Borah bivy

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

welshwhit

Borah bivy

Post by welshwhit »

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of getting one of these babies and have emailed John and got a response but thought I'd ask here too.

I know a lot of you use them, and I've read the other posts too.

At the moment I'm leaning towards an m90 top with the pillar box hood mod.

I like the sound of the extra waterproofness and lighter weight of the m50 though!

If I use a Numo mat inside will I need the wider bag?

Also, mostly this will be used under a tarp but is it (m90 and m50) for the odd night on its own?

What are folks thoughts to help guide me before I splash the cash?!

Thanks
Drew
Mart

Re: Borah bivy

Post by Mart »

Hi Drew,
I had mine with M90 (similar spec to what your looking at I went for reduced netting in hood, side zip and corner stake points). When it came I was very pleased with the weight/size
Suppose it depends on how and where you want to use it that will determine ultimately spec what you choose

I chose the M90 as I considered it the best choice for the UK (more breathable)
As it is more used under a tarp or on its own in good conditions I felt it didnt need the extra water resistance I use down sleeping bags so for me it was more important to me to reduce condensation as much aas possible

The regular size (width/length) is good for a Neoair mat and Pipedream 400 bag with room to spare (im 5'10'')
Might even at a push take my winter sleeping bag but would be a more snug fit.

Hope this makes sense
Mart
2924 miles per Gallon
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Mine is:

Extra wide - more room for mat and winter bag.
Standard net hood.
Extended zipper.
M50 top.
Corner tie-outs.

If I buy another, it will be:
Extra Wide.
Standard net hood.
Extended zipper.
M90 top - I'll forgo a little water resistance for extra breathability. There's not much in it weight wise.
Corner tie-outs.

Fantastic bit of kit and still would be if it were much more expensive. Remember that no matter what top (or bottom) you go for it won't be fully waterproof as the seams aren't sealed.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Cheers for the opinions guys, this is a handy little thread as I'm contemplating getting a decent bivvy too - and have been on and off researching a lot into them. Part of me wanted to make one out of pertex, then it politely got pointed out that these materials require some modest skill to put them together, and I'd quite like someone with experience to do this for me :lol:

So amongst the BearBones group, it seems the Borah is the favoured bivvy of most, but there were some others I looked at, I have a huge list of bookmarks from when last looking. Er, back to a normal coherent sentence and are there any others that you reckon should be considered?

http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/2 ... conundrum/
Has been the most interesting article I've read without having a backpackinglite account.
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

Thanks all,

Think it's going to be a pay day purchase!

Drew
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

are there any others that you reckon should be considered?
There's a couple from Titanium Goat that could be worthy of consideration: http://www.titaniumgoat.com/products.html

There's also the Katabatic Gear Bristlecone Bivy. Very light and well made but a touch pricey.
http://www.trekking-lite-store.com/trek ... ::353.html

Or MLD Superlight:
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/sh ... ucts_id=30

I think the American manufactures view bivvy bags from a different angle than many European manufactures. In Europe bivvy bags come from a climbing/mountaineering background, so they tend to be tough, fully sealable/waterproof and fairly heavy. In the US they developed with the backpacking movement, which IMO makes them a bit better suited to bikepacking, ie, lighter, very packable and usually combined with a tarp/shelter of some sort.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

s8tannorm wrote:
are there any others that you reckon should be considered?
There's also the Katabatic Gear Bristlecone Bivy. Very light and well made but a touch pricey.
http://www.trekking-lite-store.com/trek ... ::353.html
I reallly like that.

However, the borah gear Bivvy looks like a positive bargain (even with potential customs - and googling doesn't seem to tell me what the customs duty is...). How does M90 fair vs. pertex quantum? I have a few bits of kit which are quantum and I'm impressed, but never knowingly come across Momentum90.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Z Packs do a Pertex Quantum bivvy bag: http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/bivy.shtml

Can't say how Pertex compares to M50/90 but I imagine it's similar ... although I could be very wrong ;)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Ta,

[s]Also, can anyone tell me the customs cost, or liklihood of getting caught in customs from the US. Just, by the time I've paid customs charge (hmrc website says anywhere between 5 and 85 percent out of the 140,000 different categories they have), and the VAT on everything including shipping, and the royal mail cost, I might as well get the katabastic one from Germany as it's already in the EU...although that's looking like £175 at the moment :| [/s]

Seems that M90 is very similar to pertex microlight according to more internet travels.

Dug up on a search on this forum for borah gear, and the customs thing, and I reckon I'm gonna get one soon ish. Cheers guys.
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

And ordered!

May have to plan a celebratory bivy for when it arrives!

Thanks for all the input!

Drew
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

I ended up paying an extra £38 with customs and handling but I think I was a bit unlucky - most people seem to get away without paying anything
Matt

Post by Matt »

Let me know when your selling it Steve ;)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

stevemorg wrote:I ended up paying an extra £38 with customs and handling but I think I was a bit unlucky - most people seem to get away without paying anything
Got stuck for fees etc as well. It's usually FF that gets away with it, curse him :evil:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

My next item has left the US and I'm awaiting delivery, I'll let you know if I'm spawny once again. :D
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Ordered my Bivvy last night after a bit of email tennis with John. It's a custom design (only a slight variation in fairness) - can't wait to have a try in a bivvy bag that isn't a boil in a bag :lol:

Thanks for everyone's help. 8-)
royAB

Post by royAB »

M90 top - I'll forgo a little water resistance for extra breathability.
Difficult Q I know, but how 'waterproof' is M50 and how breathable M90? - trying to decide the best way to go myself..

Background; I use a Hunka with a down bag & do sleep in 'medium' rain without a tarp. I don't seem to get too much condensation but Hunka's a bit heavy. So think a lighter 'water resistant' bivy & cuben tarp might be the answer (Tho I do like not having to pitch a tarp...)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Background; I use a Hunka with a down bag & do sleep in 'medium' rain without a tarp. I don't seem to get too much condensation but Hunka's a bit heavy. So think a lighter 'water resistant' bivy & cuben tarp might be the answer (Tho I do like not having to pitch a tarp...)
In all honesty Roy buy something else. The Borahs aren't waterproof because they don't have sealed seams, I suppose you could seal them if you can be bothered. I think the Borah should be considered as a sleeping bag cover rather than a full blown bivvy bag.

EDIT: sorry I've just read your post properly. The Borah is ideal for use under a light tarp. I know that John has always suggested M90 is best suited to UK conditions.
royAB

Post by royAB »

Cheers Stu... so, the Borah's Achilles heel for our side of the pond is primarily sewn, unsealed seams? I think I can see my way to waving a tube of sealant around one... :)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I have a PHD 'sleeping bag cover' made out of their DriShell fabric.

It's untaped on the seams but not sold as waterproof. It beads well though and is spot on for using under a tarp. I supliment it with 40g of polycro ground sheet. The bag weighs 151g on my scales. There's no mesh but it has a draw cord (like a sleeping bag)

It's available in wide too. £84 handmade to order...

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info ... cts_id=248
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

I have the same PHD cover, perfect for winter camps or under the tarp. I use a Oookworks bathtub floor with it, buy British now we are getting decent ultralight gear. ;)
royAB

Post by royAB »

Thanks chaps - the list of 'possibles' grows ever longer..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just a quick thought / something to think about ... I was using my Borah this week (M50 top). It was a still night, I was right next to water and the hood/net was zipped tight to keep the flying ants at bay. I woke up without any condensation at all, not even a tiny bit in the foot end ... everything was bone dry ;)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

s8tannorm wrote:Just a quick thought / something to think about ... I was using my Borah this week (M50 top). It was a still night, I was right next to water and the hood/net was zipped tight to keep the flying ants at bay. I woke up without any condensation at all, not even a tiny bit in the foot end ... everything was bone dry ;)
That bodes well for when I get my M90 top. I've never ever had a night in a bivvy bag without condensation, or maybe once (in fairness, I never seem to get out when the weather is nice :roll: )

That said Stu - you do have the mesh top end, which must help ventilating breath and ventilation in general. :?: