Shropshire routes,ideas/camping-bivi suggestions

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adventurer

Shropshire routes,ideas/camping-bivi suggestions

Post by Adventurer »

Doing 2 nights away next weekend.

I quite like Shropshire, interesting and not too far. I was probably planning to go through/stop in Bishops castle as I quite like the area.

Any thoughts or ideas for routes, camping, villages to go through or not?

Thanks.
Scattamah

Re: Shropshire routes,ideas/camping-bivi suggestions

Post by Scattamah »

Usually a bit of lane work involved joining some parts together. For a big loop, you can join Pontesbury Hill to Eastridge Wood, Stiperstones, Long Mynd, Caradoc, Wenlock Edge, lanes down to Ludlow and across to Leintwardine. Over to Clun, up onto the ridgeline and lanes out to Anchor, joining the Kerry Ridgeway heading north and into Bishops Castle. A bit more tarmac and you'd be back @ Pontesbury.

There's some good sneaky pitches up on Long Mynd at the south end. You could spend a day just doing Long Mynd/Stiperstones. I have a pair of GPX that take this in (Saturday route) and a GPX that takes in east of the A49 (Sunday route). Food at the Ragleth in Little Stretton is good and not too pricey.

Sing out if you want a nose at the GPXs.

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, if you're heading for Bishops Castle I'd take the Kerry Ridgeway out then maybe drop off into last years BB200 route.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Scattamah wrote:Usually a bit of lane work involved joining some parts together. For a big loop, you can join Pontesbury Hill to Eastridge Wood, Stiperstones, Long Mynd, Caradoc, Wenlock Edge, lanes down to Ludlow and across to Leintwardine. Over to Clun, up onto the ridgeline and lanes out to Anchor, joining the Kerry Ridgeway heading north and into Bishops Castle. A bit more tarmac and you'd be back @ Pontesbury.

There's some good sneaky pitches up on Long Mynd at the south end. You could spend a day just doing Long Mynd/Stiperstones. I have a pair of GPX that take this in (Saturday route) and a GPX that takes in east of the A49 (Sunday route). Food at the Ragleth in Little Stretton is good and not too pricey.

Sing out if you want a nose at the GPXs.

Greetz

S.

That would be great if you could send me the GPX file, it would give me do,e great ideas and be helpful for what is rideable, ta.