Talk to me about Cheshire

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Teetosugars

Talk to me about Cheshire

Post by Teetosugars »

Ok, so live near Delamere, and want to get out more..
Anyone any cheeky favourites in this area?
Aside, of course from the obvious that is Delamere itself.. :oops:
In Reverse

Re: Talk to me about Cheshire

Post by In Reverse »

I worked just outside Frodsham all last year and had the bike in the back of the car for most nights through the summer. On-road it's genuinely great round there - endless country lanes and rolling b-roads pretty much devoid of traffic. Off-road though I struggled to find much worthwhile that could be turned into a loop. Helsby Hill's worth a ride up, although it's footpath at the very top.

There are a few bridleways up on the Wirral that are pleasant enough for an evening bimble, but for the really meaty stuff you'll need to get yourself out to Cilcain to the west to attack Moel Famau etc (probably about a 40 minute drive) or out to the Peaks to the east (Marple or Macc).
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I'm near Warrington and have the odd trip around Delamere but find it
Very busy at times, not a bad thing, there's a few nice bridleways linking from
Near there by Frodsham hill that head out into Cheshire,also, using the canals of the
Cheshire ring, head out towards Macclesfield and the peaks or swing back towards Manchester
Then head back via the Tpt. All pretty easy cycling to be fair but avoids most main
Roads.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You can get to Derbyshire easily from there :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

If you're passing by, there are some nice short / steep / woodsy trails to be had in the vicinity of the Runcorn water tower. Worth an hour or two's exploration.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Cheers All, guess I should just pack my Krampus, and see where I end up!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Frodsham / Helsby hill has some routes on it but I would avoid at peak times as they're 'cheeky'

I go up there before work about 6Am ish and only had a problem once with a walker

Recently, I've been further afield and have explored the Peckforton/Beeston/Bickerton area. Thinking of Bickerton in the summer for a bivi...

You've got the marshes from frodsham back to Ellesmere Port, worth doing once in your life (I use these regularly but I'm heading towards Frodsham).

Whitegate trail is also nice, not very 'adventurous' but nice to ride (also nice to link it up with Delamere via the Golf Course)

The halkyn moors are within riding distance...

And i assume you know about Primrose woods...