Yorkshire coast

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Yorkshire coast

Post by whitestone »

Has anyone ridden the beaches on the Yorkshire coast? Basically south of Bridlington to Spurn Head. I know there's a couple of things that need watching out for or avoiding like a firing range at Great Cowden and the gas terminal at Easington but haven't really looked further into it.

Looking at Strava heat maps, someone has ridden along parts of it but there's nowhere near the amount of activity that there's been at places like Formby due to John and his buddies or Coastrider's journeys around North Berwick.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
techno

Re: Yorkshire coast

Post by techno »

whitestone wrote:Has anyone ridden the beaches on the Yorkshire coast? Basically south of Bridlington to Spurn Head. I know there's a couple of things that need watching out for or avoiding like a firing range at Great Cowden and the gas terminal at Easington but haven't really looked further into it.

Looking at Strava heat maps, someone has ridden along parts of it but there's nowhere near the amount of activity that there's been at places like Formby due to John and his buddies or Coastrider's journeys around North Berwick.
I've not ridden many of the beaches, bar the spit of spurn point, but I have tramped and splashed along a lot of that stretch of coast.
Main thingd I can tell you are:
Sorry to disappoint but here's no nudist beach at Fraisthorpe any more! It is a busy spot for kite surfers and land yachters and
generally busy in the summer.

RAF Holmpton is worth the diversion if you're interested (check opening times and dates). It's a decommissioned cold war monitoring bunker. www.visitthebunker.com

As are the acoustic mirror and godwin battery at kilnsea.
screescree

Post by screescree »

I've camped out on Mappleton Beach front before, theres plenty of small beach villages along the coast to go to, and a lot with room to camp or campsites themselves, like Fraisethorpe. It's worth a ride along, problem is, you cant ride from beach to beach, theres a lot of fenced off farmers fields and not a great deal of roads nearby, and most of the beaches are separated every couple of miles by rockfall.
A couple of pictures from my adventures on the Yorkshire beaches :)

“Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike” John F Kennedy
techno

Post by techno »

screescree wrote: Image
Hi, is this mappleton?
screescree

Post by screescree »

It is, if you go to mappleton and turn down the side of the car dealership, opposite the church, it'll show a small road leading to the beach. you'll come to a barrier, where the road sweeps downhill rather steeply. when you get to the bottom of the hill, you can camp on the flats to the left, like we did. tide doesnt come anywhere near, and i didnt get disturbed apart from the once, when some kids were out at 11pm urban exploring, but they never came near us. there is another area to camp if its too windy, too the right of the barrier is a car park with a nice lawn in front of it, and it has a ridged side to stop the sea winds hitting you. problem is, its next to the car park.
techno

Post by techno »

screescree wrote:It is, if you go to mappleton and turn down the side of the car dealership, opposite the church, it'll show a small road leading to the beach. you'll come to a barrier, where the road sweeps downhill rather steeply. when you get to the bottom of the hill, you can camp on the flats to the left, like we did. tide doesnt come anywhere near, and i didnt get disturbed apart from the once, when some kids were out at 11pm urban exploring, but they never came near us. there is another area to camp if its too windy, too the right of the barrier is a car park with a nice lawn in front of it, and it has a ridged side to stop the sea winds hitting you. problem is, its next to the car park.
Thanks, looks like a nice spot. I imagine there are some nice spots around Flamborough head too, ever explored around there?
screescree

Post by screescree »

Sorry for the late reply, yeah I've done a bit of Flambourgh but not recently. I wanna camp out at Spurn Point, if anyone has been out there?