Southern Upland Way west section

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Southern Upland Way west section

Post by fatbikephil »

After the debate in the General Banter section on biking the Southern Upland Way, I've plotted an alternative to the section west of Moffat which misses out the horrible death marches but still includes a couple of Bothies. I've ridden bits of this between Glentrool and Moffat and I know a guy on the Fat bike forum who has ridden all of the official route from Portpatrick to St.Johns Town of Dalry. This section is generally OK barring one shortish moor crossing out of New Luce which is a bit crap but can be missed with an on-road alternative.

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=zgeqtutawmxpluzi

I'll be looking to do a chunk of this east to West at the end of March. Could make a worthy addition to the Self Supported ITT list if you did the whole way as its around 200 miles and has a lot of climbing!
Ray Young

Re: Southern Upland Way west section

Post by Ray Young »

:-bd , nice one, now Single Speed George has no excuses, get out there fella :wink: .
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Nice - very similar to the route we took, look forward to hearing how you get on. I'd include the sections around New Luce though, they were mostly fine to ride a couple of years ago.
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Thanks for posting HTrider. Can see a number of possibilities,
BaM 2021
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Nice one, thanks :-bd