Planning leisurely Lakeland 200 trip ....

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ady T

Planning leisurely Lakeland 200 trip ....

Post by Ady T »

Hi All

First time posting in the forum so here goes... I am planning to do the Lakeland 200 route but over 4 days with a group of friends in late August. Has anyone done it and willing to share hints and tips regarding places to stay (i.e.e bothys or great wild camp spots) ideas for best place to start from (thinking Keswick area), best direction to ride it in... etc etc...

Thanks

Ady
Chew

Re: Planning leisurely Lakeland 200 trip ....

Post by Chew »

Biggest bit of advice would be to ride something else.

The Lakesland 200 was created to be a training route, mainly for hike-a-bike and not enjoyment.

Have a read of the various blogs/posts about the route to see what you'll be letting yourself in for.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Chew wrote:Biggest bit of advice would be to ride something else.

The Lakesland 200 was created to be a training route, mainly for hike-a-bike and not enjoyment.

Have a read of the various blogs/posts about the route to see what you'll be letting yourself in for.
The duddon valley to borrowdale section has the bulk of the pushing. Takes you through some stunning places though.

Much of the rest of it is very rideable, albeit technical riding.

For leisure I'd be tempted to look at the south lakes Jen ride over two days then have a spin over to one of the MBA bothies for an evening of relaxing before a steady ride back.

There are some other Cumbrian bothies but you'll not find details online.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I think advising to do something else might be a bit harsh (sorry Chew) :)

Over 4 days you shouldn't be under too much pressure & can always bail if you've had enough.

The section between Coniston & Keswick is the toughest- plenty of taking the bike for a walk!.. But it's also the most spectacular..

Post up nearer the time if you're still giving it a go & don't be too resistant to change things during the route, it'll be an adventure..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Ady T

Post by Ady T »

Thanks All,

Sounds like its going to be a tough challenge.... I am okay with adapting the route to avoid the worst of the hike a bike bits (noted Chew). Will check out the threads.... I know it will be tough but thought 4 days would make it a little easier....
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

It's a great route - don't listen to the naysayers......
However, you can easily avoid the worst HaB bits:
* From Wasdale head out along the lake towards Gosforth and ride up into the Bleng Forest, and out to the Cold Fell road, which will drop you down into Ennerdale.
* From Ennerdale, head over Floutern Tarn to Crummock Water (instead of Scarth Gap to Buttermere). You can ride along the back of Buttermere to rejoin the route at Honister Pass.

I'd go Keswick - Patterdale or Kentmere
Day 2 aim to reach Coniston or over Walna Scar to Duddon
Day 3 aim for Ennerdale
Final day back to Keswick.

Message me if you need more info. No bothies en route, but lots of decent pubs and YHAs.