Canals

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Canals

Post by ootini »

Anyone made up any "canal tow path" specific routes? I'm just curious as to how "unbroken" the tow paths may be. I'm trying to plan a two day route for me, the Mrs and sprog in his trailer, which means mostly paved, and mostly flat. I was thinking of a 60 mile route from Llangollen, along the canal up to Whitchurch where it meets the Shropshire Union Canal and then in to Chester and train home. Any thoughts? Any words of warning? Apart from me obviously shitting myself on the Pontcysyllte aquaduct.
whitestone

Re: Canals

Post by whitestone »

Might be worth checking on geograph.org.uk, the canal local to me (Leeds-Liverpool) varies from the tow path being tarmac to hardcore to mud within a few miles. Some sections are hard work on a mountain bike. It's worth checking if there's a site dedicated to the canal, I know there's one for the Leeds-Liverpool for instance.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ootini

Post by ootini »

I've done some rooting around, and from Shari can tell the route is mostly paved with some gravelly bits at worst. It's 60 miles from llangollen to Chester. So I'm thinking a leisurely afternoon / bivvy / morning and we're done.
smartay

Post by smartay »

Hi
Towpath below St Martins near Chirk becomes really boggy enough to break my sons chain last year! Ended our day with a push, scooter type thing back to Llangollen
Mart

Post by Mart »

2924 miles per Gallon
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Cheers Mart, that's a great resource :-bd
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

You may find that getting the kiddy-trailer through the tunnels is a problem. The tow path is quite narrow. Not a game breaker though; it's easy enough to get off the canal and go around by road
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...