Bikepacking in Berkshire

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Muddy Legs

Bikepacking in Berkshire

Post by Muddy Legs »

Having lived in North Wales, The Peak and on Dartmoor I now find myself living in Berkshire due to career/family responsibilities etc – you know all that grown up stuff I’ve been avoiding for most of my life!!

It’s been a bit of a shock! Whilst I can find great riding from my doorstep on and around the Ridgeway, on the Hampshire Downs etc, what I’m finding really difficult is places for wild camping/bivving. Everywhere seems so close to some form of habitation and so unlike anywhere else I’ve lived.

Anyone got any good sites in the area (Ridgeway, Watership Down etc) they wouldn’t mind sharing?
Many thanks
Dave Barter

Re: Bikepacking in Berkshire

Post by Dave Barter »

Liddington Hill, Wayland Smythy are two good spots my end of the Ridgeway...but not in Berkshire

I can also point you to "The Graveyard" that Mike and Ione found, not sure I'd bivy there though.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Muddy Legs

Post by Muddy Legs »

Wayland Smythy is about 3 hours away from me, so quite do-able even as a quick midweek overnighter -- akways just thought it was a bit too obvious and close to a road.

Could you PM me any further details of Liddington Hill and "The Graveyard"

Cheers
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

The "Graveyard" is in this view it is the copse that is led to by the short branch off the clear track. You can also see the bunker in the view.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.51966 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Liddington Hill is the copse in the centre of this view. It doesn't show well on the map but it is elevated and usually deserted after dark.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.49681 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Muddy Legs

Post by Muddy Legs »

Good stuff ... thanks Dave!!
jameso

Post by jameso »

fwiw I've bivied in a few spots in the general area that Dave B's linked to here. It's not an area that requires more than a bit of respect for farmland and sensible spot-picking. Stay a bit away from the points where the main byways or Ridgeway is crossed by roads as there are often carparks there, but late night it seems to be just stoner kids and the odd oddball using those. The conveniently-located Burj indian restaurant at Foxhill is always good for a late night Cobra take-out and there's water taps at Idstone Hill up on the Ridgeway just east of there.

Edit to add, in Berkshire area I've spent a few nights just west of Goring+Streatley on the Ridgeway. There's so many good byways to explore around there and some quite open, almost 'remote' (for the SE) areas where bivis are no problem at all. If you get past South Stoke into the Chilterns you're spoiled for choice. Happy to share specifics via PM if of use.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Loads of opportunity if you descrete and after dark/away early

When I was on the ridgeway I stopped just W of Liddington hill, half way between the hill and the road there is a little copse Grid Ref SU 215 802
Also stopped briefly in the corner of the field near Norcott Court Grid ref SP 966 102

Didn't specifically choose either of these places, I just happened to be there after dark and wanted to get my head down
2924 miles per Gallon
Muddy Legs

Post by Muddy Legs »

jameso wrote:. If you get past South Stoke into the Chilterns you're spoiled for choice.
Most certainly agree with that. Have had some cracking rides round there based on some of the routes from Vertebrate Publishing's SE guide book.

Thanks for all the other suggestions. Supports my view that if you look hard enough there's always something in your own back yard!
JezS

Post by JezS »

The narrow strip of woods just South of the Ridgeway track opposite Waylands Smithy is pretty nice and a bit less signposted than the Smithy itself if you're worried about unwanted attention from the Druids.

There's also a well sheltered hollow in the top of the Uffington White Horse hill which is pretty handy when it's windy - it's a bit of an obvious spot, but I've stayed there without issue.

good to see some of the other spots noted as well - cheers

Jez