Way of the Roses

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

seanroy

Way of the Roses

Post by seanroy »

Hi All,

I've just started to make arrangements for my girlfriend and I to cycle the way of the roses route from Morecambe Bay to Bridlington. We have decided to do this over 4 days to allow for plenty of diversions / exploring areas of interest. I have noticed that quite a bit of the route is on road, were both planning to take our hardtails so would appreciate if any one knows of any good off route sections we could divert on to during this ride?

Were also planning to wildcamp on the first and third night so if anyone knows any decent spots in the region of Settle or York that'd be greatly appreciated.

Any other tips for this route would also be welcome

Sean :-bd
whitestone

Re: Way of the Roses

Post by whitestone »

You could do either the south or north loop of the Settle Loop then go via Malham Tarn to get onto Mastiles Lane to get between Settle and Grassington. After Appletreewick there's a long climb up to the Grassington-Pateley Bridge road but if you cut right to Skyreholme here http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=406310 ... &A=Y&Z=120 you can follow the YD300 route over Pockstones Moor to here http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=412885 ... &A=Y&Z=120 there's then a BW over Benny Bent http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=413760 ... &A=Y&Z=120 which drops you into Pateley Bridge

If you end up on the mainroad dropping into Pateley Bridge, take care! There have been a couple of deaths of cyclists on Greenhow Hill when doing the Way of the Roses.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
seanroy

Post by seanroy »

Thanks Whitestone!

I'll take a look through your recommendations this evening. Taking in Malham Tarn sounds like a great idea.

Thanks for the tip on Greenhow Hill, I do know Pateley Bridge very well as my Dad lives there and I'm planning to stay there on the second evening.

Thanks again!!

Sean
seanroy

Post by seanroy »

Thanks again for this Whitestone took a look last night, great recommendations
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There's several options between Mastiles Lane and Grassington BTW depending on time, weather, how you are feeling. When in the area of Bordley Farm there's a couple of routes heading SE that you can take that drop you into Threshfield - a bit less tarmac. Should be fairly obvious when looking at the map.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
seanroy

Post by seanroy »

Cheers mate, great info.