Bikepacking.com Cairngorms loop

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

chambo82

Bikepacking.com Cairngorms loop

Post by chambo82 »

Hi all , new to the group so hello !! Me and couple of others are planning a bikepacking trip to the above in last week of March , 180 miles Cairngorms loop , having posted on the STW forum it sounds like we may have a death wish !!! Anyone on here done similar at similar time of year please ? The idea behind the timing is that between the 3 of us we are fairly limited when we can all be off work / available due to holidays , work commitments and weddings hence the last week in March , Any advice or guidance much appreciated ! Cheers
ianfitz

Re: Bikepacking.com Cairngorms loop

Post by ianfitz »

March :shock:

Seriously though, it's likely to be very wintery at that time of year. Weather and ground conditions both. The group start was cancelled the other year due to bad weather and that's in May.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Like I said over there - we were still skiing in May last year.

Of course, 2017 could be a lot different......
Chew

Post by Chew »

As the other have said, that time of year could be a bit optimistic. Especially the inner loops.

Experienced it would be a challenging route that time of year and not one i'd recommend to novices.

You may get lucky with the weather, but i'd have a Plan B.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Don't underestimate the effect of rain and/or snow melt on river levels, some burns can be all but impassible once they flood. From a blog I read, there are thirteen on the Cairngorm Loop. We had an interesting trip around Ben Alder last week http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =10&t=9015 - if some of the burns had been just slightly higher or bigger then it would have been a case of find high ground and sit it out. We had to spend time construction small cairns in slack water to give ourselves stepping stones to cross.

Does it have to be the CL or are you just looking for a two/three day bikepacking route? You don't say where you are all from but other options might be the Yorkshire Dales 300 or the Borders 350 or the Capital Trail. All these would be much less weather dependant than the CL.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

The Cairngorms Loop mass start has been called off or curtailed twice in the last two years due to bad weather, and this is at the start of May at the latest. In 2015 there was minimal snow lying at the Bynack More shoulder, but the concern was a storm which hit on the Sunday. In 2016, lots of snow, a couple of people pushed over but the rest of us didn't bother starting and went elsewhere.

March is therefore unwise to attempt this.
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

Right but if an update all, we have postponed the trip until middle of May instead March , obviously still not guaranteed decent weather but more chance than in March !! So now the list of gear is gathering momentum and training has picked up since before Christmas , just need to narrow down options on where to park and leave a vehicle for the 5 days and kit options , thanks for all the advice people, much appreciated and always helps to have unbiased opinions :-)
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

Yet more questions I'm afraid , I need to get a map to back up Garmin , looking at the OS maps and it looks like will need 6 maps to cover the route ?! Is there another way of getting a detailed map to plot route on please ? Cheers
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Buy an annual subscription to the OS Getamap service. For £20 you get access to all the 1:25k and 1:50k mapping (updated) and you can print off A4 sheets as you need them.

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

Nice one thanks for that will get that and print off :-bd
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

Can anyone advise if there is anywhere to leave a car at the start of the loop please ?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There's a car park opposite the camp site in Blair Atholl that folk park in. It's right on the main road and should therefore be reasonably safe.

There's also a car park right at the very start, in Old Blair. It's very quiet and out of the way, mainly frequented by walkers and cyclists.
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/cairngorms-loop/
Looking at the location of Blair , looks like the start point on the above loop is a different point ? Although doesn't matter really I suppose
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah - as that article points out, there are a few variations from the semi-official Cairngorms ITT route (found here http://www.cairngormsloop.net/map.html). If you're not interested in following the CL route exactly, then you'll find a few options off it that will make it slightly easier (in particular, the last section that would normally finish at Blair Atholl routes via Fealar Lodge rather than the much simpler/easier direct route down Glen Tilt). I'd have a good look at both options and decide which you want to follow. Just make sure that you spell it out whenever asking for route/accommodation/camping advice or it'll be very confusing.
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

Top man thanks buddy ! Yeh I'm going to print off the routes and then we are going to sit down and work out which start point and route we will stick to , can't wait to get started now !!
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

Right then we have decided to start in Blair Atholl and will be driving up on the Sunday ready to start the ride on Monday as we will have a near 8 hour drive , does anyone know of somewhere to stay locally please ? There will be 3 of us for 1 night .

Cheers in advance again

Mark
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

http://www.dalgreineguesthouse.co.uk/

Eat at the Bothy Bar (part of the Atholl arms)
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

Top job thanks buddy , have emailed them last night so will see what they come back with

Cheers
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

Hi again all

Bit of an update incase anyone is interested , maps are now sorted (thanks again to Tam for this) and route is now planned and overnight stops sorted, kit is coming together slowly , as per usual it's a minefield of different quality, cost etc , 1 of us has gone for Alpkit bike bags and the other 2 of us has gone for Ortlieb kits , as for the rest of the kit it's now just a case of whittling down different options. Quick question to all, could anyone list their kit list please for reference , we are staying away for 3/4 nights and will be planning on bothy stops for all but 1 night all being well. Overnight accommodation is now booked for the Sunday night before he ride at The Firs guesthouse , had couple of options from couple of the guesthouse/hotels in the area but The Firs was the cheapest plus they are allowing us to leave the car there while we are away which is brilliant and 1 less thing to worry about !

Again thanks very much for everyone's input/guidance/advice !!

Cheers
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

could anyone list their kit list please for reference
In a bar harness:
Cumulus 350 quilt
Down jacket or possibly something synthetic if the forecast looks 'iffy'.
Exped mat and Schnozzle bag.
Socks x 1pr.
Hat.
Thin liner gloves.

In saddle pack:
Some form of tarp/shelter - choice will depend on forecast.
Bivvy bag - as above.
Stove and brew kit - all packs into 450ml mug.
Fuel for above.
Spare tube.
Waterproof jacket and possibly, very light over-shorts.
Additional space used to carry food.

Partial frame bag:
Tarp poles and pegs.
Tools and spares.
Pump,
Water filter.
2L Platypuss fold up bottle.
Couple of chocolate bars.
Cache battery and anything electrical like cables.

On the bike:
Gps.
Another tube.

Think that's pretty much it. It probably wouldn't alter from that no matter how many days I were away for.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not too different from Stuart's in terms of actual kit but tend to have all the bivy kit in the handlebar bag and spare clothing and the like in the saddle bag. Food, cooking stuff and repair stuff goes in the frame bag. I like stem cells for on the go food - if it's not handy then I find I don't eat enough.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

Ok so tomorrow we have a shake down ride planned locally to test kit , set up etc , ready for Cairngorms in approx 3 weeks ! Tomorrow will be our maiden voyage bikepacking so excited but a bit apprehensive, anyone have any last min tips they would be willing to share ?

Cheers
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

anyone have any last min tips they would be willing to share ?
More practice - earlier :wink:
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

Mm would have been nice however with work, family commitments along with the financial side of things we have literally just finished purchasing kit etc , camping and cycling we are very much experienced at so not worried about them individually :-)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Mm would have been nice however with work, family commitments along with the financial side of things we have literally just finished purchasing kit etc , camping and cycling we are very much experienced at so not worried about them individually
In that case, simply remember you're there to enjoy it, ... and pack a man-size box of 'sense of humour', it'll see you through pretty much anything.