Cairngorm loop terrain

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

deejayen

Cairngorm loop terrain

Post by deejayen »

So far, my off-roading has been limited to a few tracks around Aviemore, including the Speyside Way to Boat-of-Garten, and the Old Logging Way to Ryvoan Bothy. I've read a few ride reports on here, including some of the Cairngorm Loop, and the pictures I've seen suggest the terrain isn't too extreme.

Are many of the longer distance routes on fairly benign tracks, or am I getting the wrong impression?
ScotRoutes

Re: Cairngorm loop terrain

Post by ScotRoutes »

The SSW and Old Logging Way are nothing much like the terrain of other parts of the Cairngorm Loop. Explore the area from Bynack Mor to Glen Derry.....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not done the whole CL (it's on my to-do list) but have done bits of it. Complete mixture really: a lot of estate tracks; some good ridable singletrack; some singletrack that the good riders can ride; some "interesting" stuff and some hike-a-bike.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

Thanks very much. Are the pictures on this http://www.trailscotland.co.uk/forums/v ... f=5&t=8956 ride report representative of the most 'interesting' sections?

From what I've read, some people push their bikes 5 or 6 miles through the tougher sections, so it sounds like it might be impossible to ride for mere mortals, no matter what bike they have.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

That's about right. There's also a couple of bits of the Geldie/Feshie watershed area that are problematic, sometimes in a different way.

There are also quite a few water crossings.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

Thanks for that. Yes, those photos are great, and the description and stats are helpful.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

deejayen wrote:Thanks very much. Are the pictures on this http://www.trailscotland.co.uk/forums/v ... f=5&t=8956 ride report representative of the most 'interesting' sections?

From what I've read, some people push their bikes 5 or 6 miles through the tougher sections, so it sounds like it might be impossible to ride for mere mortals, no matter what bike they have.
My post!
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

I enjoyed reading it! Have you managed to ride it as a time trial since then?
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Only done the inner loop thus far. Recently in Oct ( there's a ride report on here)

Geldie to the Eidart was a boggy quagmire. Bynack to the saddle top of the L&L was pretty much H-A-B...

As SR says, there are a lot of water/river crossings, Fords of Avon can be a show stopper. And, unlike Mike, you don't have to cross the Feshie... :lol:

Spate and snow melt I'd avoid.
Give the dirt a little room.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

deejayen wrote:I enjoyed reading it! Have you managed to ride it as a time trial since then?
Aye I did the whole lot a few weeks later (just after Hurricane Bertha went through!) to get me into the 2015 Highland Trail