Pembrokeshire (National Park) Routes

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Pembrokeshire (National Park) Routes

Post by Richard G »

I've been informed that there are very few (especially off road) routes worth doing in this area, but I thought I'd ask here just in case as if anyone knows, it's probably you lot!

I don't actually mind being mostly on road if it comes to it, as it'll really just be to blow the cobwebs out / keep some fitness whilst I'm there for my Christmas break. Just to earn myself some mince pies. :lol

Any suggestions gratefully accepted. Oh, and it shouldn't make much difference (as I don't mind covering pretty significant distance), but to give an idea of location, I'll pretty close to Cardigan / Newport.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Pembrokeshire (National Park) Routes

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Preseli hills are worth riding across / over especially if you have an interest in ancient history.

Otherwise, there really isn't much off-road to be had but the lanes are nice and in the main, quiet.

May the bridges you burn light your way
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

I agree with the above: not much about other than overgrown bridleways with numerous gates except for the odd 300 m sections of brilliance, Its very "agricultural" i.e. network of (mostly) stone walled field systems so not much in the way of longer sections (hopping on/off every 200 m gets annoying).

The Preseli mountains are your best bet as already stated for offload fun, great views on a good day and the spiritual home for the stone circle peoples of the past. The Preseli's are basically one ridge from Crymych to Cwm Gwaun with several routes dropping off, A bog fest in the winter at best.

Its easy to find the routes on the map - as its quite a small area at the end of the day. Look here for a fairly standard route from Newport:https://www.strava.com/activities/98012978

But for me, Pembrokeshire is mostly about taking the CX bike on the lanes, mostly going up or down looking for great views, beaches, pubs and the like.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Cheers. I had found a handful of routes, and I was definitely going to head up into the hills, but I'd also heard they were a bit of a bogfest.

But to be honest, I'll be happy enough with some quiet lanes.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Goddamn... weather was GRIM today. Made everything really hard work.

Bridleways were really rough and boggy (in a couple of cases, flooded). I can see how a CX bike would be lovely around here though. Some great roads (I feel a little dirty saying that as a mountain biker).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Some great roads (I feel a little dirty saying that as a mountain biker).
It's a proper maze of lanes isn't it? I once found some tiny (although well surfaced) ones that weren't on the map. :-bd
slarge

Post by slarge »

Done a fair bit over the years. The Preseli's are great and wild but not in the winter. The hills towards Newport are also worth an explore, but don't get too stuck to bridleways. Footpaths and any track are worth exploring (there are so few people using them that you won't have any bother), the coastal path could be good but strictly off limits ( there's too many people and opportunities for disaster), but St Davids head is worth an explore. There's meant to be some stuff in Canaston woods but I've not been there.

It's worth taking the CX bike though to maximise both on and off road.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Aside from a little bit down in Canaston I'm probably not going to bother too much with the bridleways for the rest of the time I'm here. I've got tons of ground to cover messing around with little lanes.

I also didn't know there was such a thing as a "C" road. Loads of them here though!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Mike and me are thinking of riding down there for an ice cream and a paddle at the start of Jan :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

sub standard weather aside, I'm really enjoying it. Pretty much the definition of rolling countryside, and some great views when you hit the coast.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

On the subject of your average Pembrokeshire bridleway in the Winter...

dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Looks like the last time we rode together. A bit late now but if you had said I have a mate who lives in Solva and does ride off road round there. I'll ask him where to go.