Loch Fannich

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Loch Fannich

Post by whitestone »

Has anyone ridden (or even walked) the track from the A832 http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=215737 ... &A=Y&Z=120 over to Loch Fannich? Looking on geograph.org it looks like a reasonable path in places but in the nature of Scottish tracks could be anything and everything. It's a 200 metre climb from the north and a 300 metre climb from the loch.

Just musing over incorporating it into a loop.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Re: Loch Fannich

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've walked it from the col down to Loch a'Bhraoin but I definitely didn't have my biking head on that day.

A mate and I set off to do it from Loch Fannich as a loop one day but got turned back as there was stalking on and we didn't want to upset anyone.

In short - I'd be prepared to give it a go in order to make a loop or through route work.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cheers Colin - I've also found it in this route http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue.a ... Number=127 There's just one person who's logged a ride up to that col on Strava so doesn't look that popular!

As a loop I was thinking of joining it up with the cross country route that's in one of the guidebooks (think it's The Wild Trails vol 2) that runs between Ullapool and Black Bridge to the north of the A835 and using the wind farm access track between Altguish Inn and Lochluichart. There's a long road section between Loch a Bhraoin and Ullapool but there's not really any way of avoiding that.

It's a pity there's no track (that I can determine from maps or photos on geograph.org) between the Kinlochewe area and Loch Fannich otherwise you could have a great loop around Fisherfield with no road other than nipping to the cafe in Kinlochewe.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

That wind farm (Corriemoillie) is currently being extended and has recently been subject to some large vehicle traffic. I'd check what access is like before relying on it. Remember, public access can be restricted/curtailed for safety reasons whilst construction is in progress.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I know people who've done it - supposed to be good. I keep meaning to use it as a way into Fisherfield - ie park at Lochluichart on the A832, track up by Loch fannich, over the bealach to Loch A Bhroin, then probably the longest length of single track in the UK from the end of the loch into Fisherfield and following the HT route to Kinlochwee. Then back along the road. A good solid days ride or two days with 3 bothy options....