Coast to Coast - Tim Woodcock version

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

Coast to Coast - Tim Woodcock version

Post by ianfitz »

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/7961731

I've not ridden this but it on 'the list' :-)
FLV

Re: Coast to Coast - Tim Woodcock version

Post by FLV »

The woodcock route is really good. I was still using panniers off road when I rode that :shock:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Oh an option for my march trip?? The logistics of this start/finish could be a pain though
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Mike wrote:Oh an option for my march trip?? The logistics of this start/finish could be a pain though
You can get a train to the beginning and from Scarborough at the end.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi there,

Has anyone got any more information or suggestions for this or other C2C routes, with 'significant' off road, or at least a lot of quiet lanes and some dirt !

Thanks

Sarah
Sarah
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Sarah wrote:Hi there,

Has anyone got any more information or suggestions for this or other C2C routes, with 'significant' off road, or at least a lot of quiet lanes and some dirt !

Thanks

Sarah
There's a guide in print for this route. Google will find you it. There are many c2c options around. I think Ray rode one further north that was a bit more gravely.

This one has some fairly steep sections in the lakes and requires a lot of pushing...
JamesT

Post by JamesT »

I did what I think is the Tim Woodcock coast to coast route in 1997 - I think it had been in MBUK and some mates and I decided to have a go at it . With heavy kit (I knew no other) and the wonders of soft bike luggage still some years off this was a character building experience - went from Whitehaven to Sunderland over some very large hills - lots of off road in the lakes - the climb over black sail pass, great gable and descent to Dungeon Ghyl are particularly memorable - lots of walking both up and down ! We bivvied every night and had a great time - I'd love to do it again with modern bikes and kit !
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

We are heading out tomorrow, a modified version as limited time (and fitness!) More roads, but not looking for a suffer fest, been over Garburn Pass already thankfully, not doing it again, with or without luggage. Route isnt fully planned, but should be fun. Wild camping is definitely the way to go.

Sarah
Sarah
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Wild camping is definitely the way to go.
You mean there are other options?

Good luck :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

We made it, fabulous trip. Few variations on route, found a bothy on a rainy night, totally loved it, whats next [apart from cleaning up my bike !]

Sarah
Sarah
JamesT

Post by JamesT »

Glad it all went ok Sarah - it's a trip I'd like to do again at some point !
Mike

Post by Mike »

Sarah.. Did u leave a car at the start and get back to it? If so how did u get on with trains/buses etc??
techno

Post by techno »

Anyone out there ridden the woodcock route or near enough?
& How long did it take & how hard were you riding?

I'm hoping to have a few days child free in August and this is one of my options.
I'll hopefully have 6 days to do the full thing including train out and ride home to hull ( might chicken out and get train back from Scarborough). Oh and I'll be wild camping of course!
Karl

Post by Karl »

We did Tim Woodcock's version a few years ago. We did it over 4 days but took a few diversions towards the end to save time.

It was ok but felt a bit broken up and lacked flow. At the moment it will probably be quite fast going as there is quite a bit of (usually) boggy moorland to cross. Expect to carry your bike a bit as well.
techno

Post by techno »

Karl wrote:We did Tim Woodcock's version a few years ago. We did it over 4 days but took a few diversions towards the end to save time.

It was ok but felt a bit broken up and lacked flow. At the moment it will probably be quite fast going as there is quite a bit of (usually) boggy moorland to cross. Expect to carry your bike a bit as well.
Thanks, the conditions have plenty of time to deteriorate between now and August!
I don't suppose you've ridden this one too: http://www.pedalnorth.com/content/mtb-c2c ? looks interesting also.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I've also done the route.
Three long days. I'm by no means the fasted or fittest but am fairly tenacious.
The Lakes section has some pretty hardcore passes. Blacksail Pass from Ennerdale to Wasdale for example is not to be underestimated. There is one particularly steep rocky step that is not easy to haul a laden bike over and slipping wouldn't be fun.
From Garburn Pass all the way to near Richmond the off road sections are boggy.
The route is very much old school UK MTBing so expect to push both up, down and along at times.
It is very rewarding though and when you get to the North York Moors you'll come across walkers well into the second week of their C2C and feel pretty smug.
I did the whole thing with panniers on my 26er Orange Clockwork rocking a FlexStem
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

lune ranger wrote:From Garburn Pass all the way to near Richmond the off road sections are boggy.
I don't think that's true any more. The section past Mosedale Cottage to Wet Sleddale is boggy. Not sure of the little bit between Kirkby Stephen and Tan Hill but from then on it's on decent tracks. The bit along the bottom of Swaledale between Keld and the climb up to Harker Moor and Apedale is being or has been sanitised as part of The Swale Trail http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/__data ... il-map.pdf
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

As you might be able to tell by the kit I used it was more than a little while ago since I did the ride...
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
techno

Post by techno »

lune ranger wrote:As you might be able to tell by the kit I used it was more than a little while ago since I did the ride...
Come on! Flexstems are cutting edge tech ;)
Cheers for the info all, will update if I end up doing either one of the C2C routes mentioned.
As time and funds are limited I might end up doing a circular from home heading out to the NYM or summat.
flyingmonkeycorps

Post by flyingmonkeycorps »

techno mail wrote:
Karl wrote:We did Tim Woodcock's version a few years ago. We did it over 4 days but took a few diversions towards the end to save time.

Thanks, the conditions have plenty of time to deteriorate between now and August!
I don't suppose you've ridden this one too: http://www.pedalnorth.com/content/mtb-c2c ? looks interesting also.
Not done it yet, but I'll be riding this at the end of August. Probably in a monsoon, given how good the weather is at the moment.
techno

Post by techno »

flyingmonkeycorps wrote:
techno mail wrote:

Not done it yet, but I'll be riding this at the end of August. Probably in a monsoon, given how good the weather is at the moment.
It will have been raining since the 10th of august, as that's when I'm able to go.
Don't forget your waders. :lol: