A bothy in Wales

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Borderer

A bothy in Wales

Post by Borderer »

We are looking to stay overnight in a bothy in Southern Wales in a couple of weeks time. We will be staying close to Newtown so one from the cluster to the west of there would be ideal. We will be riding with friends of ours who are new to bikepacking so we don't want to put them off with a difficult ride in. I have dismissed Lluest Cwmbach as it doesn't have fuel and I don't really want to be hauling lots of coal in. That leaves three options: Moel Prysgau, Nant Syddion or Nant Rhys.

I know nothing about these or the best way to approach them. Can anyone advise which would be best for a party of four, with a relatively easy ride in and safe parking for two vehicles at the start? It would be ideal if it were a bothy that had two or more rooms as my friends would probably prefer not to share a sleeping room with strangers if possible on their first bothy experience.

Many thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Re: A bothy in Wales

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Syddion or Rhys.

Syddion is bigger and has multiple rooms but Rhys is easier to reach and make a circular route which isn't too long / testing. Syddion can be busier, so if you're there at weekend you might not get it to yourself.

Rhys has a good amount of sleeping platforms in the 'snug' where the fire is. At Syddion you're kipping ont' floor.

I can do you a route for both if you like?
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Syddion or Rhys.

Syddion is bigger and has multiple rooms but Rhys is easier to reach and make a circular route which isn't too long / testing. Syddion can be busier, so if you're there at weekend you might not get it to yourself.

Rhys has a good amount of sleeping platforms in the 'snug' where the fire is. At Syddion you're kipping ont' floor.

I can do you a route for both if you like?
I always get them mixed up. Doesn't Syddion have rooms though? If it's busy at least you all get to sleep together in the same room, and maybe get it to yourselves
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah, Syddion has rooms upstairs Ben.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

What about Cl**u from Rhayader?
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

That's a good shout. Maybe less climbing if you come in from the right direction too
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Cheers for all your replies. Rhys sounds perfect. Yes a route would be great thanks.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I will add that fuel in all these bothies isn't a done deal, iv been to them all and if u want to guarantee a fire your best taking your own supplies. Most of the stuff around the bothies is either wet or still growing
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I will add that fuel in all these bothies isn't a done deal, iv been to them all and if u want to guarantee a fire your best taking your own supplies. Most of the stuff around the bothies is either wet or still growing
Aye very true. Rhys probably has more potential than most but unless some kind soul has deposited some in the wood store, then anything you find is likely to be pretty wet.

I'll email you a route Bridget.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I'll email you a route Bridget.
Brilliant, thanks.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Route emailed.